alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New colors  (Read 16616 times)

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
New colors
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
The weather turned Hot for thee days "105-109" with a stiff breeze.
So we turned to doing maintenance and on the third hot day we watched the smoke from the MILO fire rise thru three layers of the atmosphere like a thunder storm. At 2pm it was reported as a 2 acre fire by 5pm it had grown to 600 acres and by 8pm 6,000 acres (now 20,000 acres)

Since fire level is 4, extreme and all maintenance was done we started prepping the mill for painting.
The lettering is slow going but got three generations to test their art skills ;D seems the youngest and oldest are the best in that area ;)
we should have it all finished up today.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
Re: New colors
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 06:38:28 PM »
What -10 is the coldest you'll saw in  ;D
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:05:24 AM »
This west coast thing helps keep that number from getting to much lower ;D

All painting is done and is ready to hit the road to make sawdust

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 03:44:57 AM »

Good job, looks nice.   Steve

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
A real work of art.  Should get plenty of attention rolling down the road or on the job site.  Hope you get some rain soon!
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »

On the other hand I think your already too busy, should have painted it camo.  Steve

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:02:43 PM »
Nice looking paint job.  That is the former "Ducks" mill right? :)
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 12:35:50 AM »
Nice looking paint job.  That is the former "Ducks" mill right? :)
well it was the former beavers mill before being the former ducks mill ;D

spent the last couple days grinding, welding and touching up the paint again.
The drag back table has not been used for the last three years since you can't stack lumber where the truck is ::)
So put mounts on the rear of the mill where the table will help with off loading where I off load ;)

Had ripped the diesel drip off from its temp location when milling the over sized oak so hard lined the drip system in to prevent that and moved the drip flow controls up under the radiator next to the engine kill cable.
reinforced a couple guards that were full of cracks, wrestled with and finally installed a timber-wolf neoprene belt on the drive side, first saw jumped off during the run in process when I turned on the drip. Slight tracking adjustment had the saw running centered on the belt. Even replaced and rewired the trailer plug on the truck that I had ripped off on some brush a while back.

Maintenance list is getting shorter ::)

Fire level is lower in some of the surrounding counties so all of our jobs on the schedule are on the road so will get a chance to tow the mill around while it is still shiny.     

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »
Where in Oregon is Backwoods Sawyer now?
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 12:04:04 AM »
on I-5 ;D
we are finishing a truck load of over sized Doug fir here in the county then making a loop up to bush prairie wa, back down to Corvallis, then over to Florance and back home.
The brush prairie customer is hauling all his wood south to Lincoln city and the Corvallis customer is hauling his north to Vancouver ::)   

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:37:20 AM »
Seems strange that we travel so far to cut logs.  I just got back from Beaverton where I sawed an oversize oak.  The guy couldn't find anybody in the area that could cut a 40" log so I went.  He even arranged to have another saw come in to cut the smaller top pieces.  And you have people moving cut lumber half way across the state.  Just strange!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »
In some cases it is because there is no good directory of who is available.  Backwoods seems to do most of his contacts by word of mouth and if someone does not know someone then the word of mouth can not be passed to them.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 11:51:54 PM »
The customer from Vancouver that found the oak logs out Corvallis mentioned it was just happen chance that he found me.
He was really impressed with the quality and quantity of quarter sawn coming out of the logs and word of mouth spreads a little farther.

The other was a brother of a happy customer.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 04:35:41 AM »

Yes   Word of mouth is a good thing, I asked one customer 90 miles away how he heard of me, he said my name kept coming up when he asked around.  Or it can be a bad thing if you saw crooked, are slow , or charge way too much or all of those things.   Beautiful weather here this week, lows around 40 , highs in the mid 60's and low humidity .  Steve

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 05:29:48 PM »
Word of Mouth?  Got a call yesterday afternoon.  Guy said that he had some walnut and wanted to get it milled, someone gave him my name.  He googled my name (Tom The Sawyer), got the link to my website, got my number from there and gave me a call.  So far, so good.   ;)

He had questions about milling walnut.  I asked if he wanted to bring it to me or did he want me to come to him.  He said he wanted me to come to London.  I paused a bit and asked, "London, England?".  He laughed and said, "No, London, Ontario".   :-[  I explained that I was in Kansas... "you must not be the guy."

Well, the mileage fee would have killed the deal (928 miles), maybe there is a Tom The Sawyer in Canada  ???
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.