alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Zing  (Read 8736 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Zing
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:34:59 PM »
Zing, purr, purr Zing.

Ah the sound of a circle mill cutting through two nails in the only place on the log that wasn't scanned.

Grr, slap, slap, ##!!##, the sound of the sawyer hitting his forehead with his hand because he recognized the sound after seeing what he thought might be iron stain and knows he can't get the blade loose with the tools he has to change the blade.

Maybe it's a law of nature about metal being where you don't think it should be.  On a jet flight line they call it FOD, foreign object damage.

But I did find two monster (40+" on the stump?) black walnut trees on the way home that have been laid down because of rot and the owners are talking about making furniture out of the wood.  Might have been a good day. 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Zing
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:34:27 AM »
Did you hit the nails in the Silverton log?

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »
I did,  two cut in half, one turned the head flush with the open face and lost all teeth on the blade that wasn't cutting right to begin with.  New blade cut better than the ruined one when it had it's teeth. 
We figured the nails were put in 40 years ago.  Nails were over 8" deep.  The arborest is going to save the nails as a show and tell of why not to nail things to trees. 
Iron stains black walnut a very dark color and that stain ran 6' up the tree in stripes.  Pretty grain patter, expensive way to get it.

Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:08:14 PM »
If I never do another FOD walk it will be too soon! 

12 years at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, my home away from home!  ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 12:20:20 AM »
I guess that makes them Silverton Nails
Stevem

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 04:54:08 AM »
The last set of carbide teeth I put in my blade have 4 or 5 chipped from small nails....but I have to admit, they are tough. Nail stains in cedar are black...and usually hold to a a foot or less of streak.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:23:08 AM »
Well I guess I have figured out the similarity to a cirlce mill and a band mill. 

The sound they both make when hitting metal ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!