alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: POC  (Read 9882 times)

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
POC
« on: October 28, 2015, 03:03:00 AM »
We have a few unique wood species around here, one is POC - Port orford cedar.
In the past there were some BIG trees around here. This customer is recovering the wood out of some of those old stumps. He has a resaw available and is looking for quarter sawn wood.
When I arrived he asked if I could mill this old root wad, my answer was simple "not yet, but keep carving on it and we can make it fit. What we got out of that root was a 4" slab that will make a nice corner desk or bar top. The rest was just squared up for resawing. It took little Jo's steady hand on the controls as this piece had to be milled with out any clamping to allow it to swing thru the cut.
You are not missing anything by not having to smell this wood as it has a strong turpentine smell to it when milled.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: POC
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »
Nice looking "stumps"
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »

If I could gain access to my desktop hard drive, I could show an "S" shaped Pecky Cypress log we sawed that was 22" on one end and 36" on the other. Those are the kind of logs I like to saw.

Anyone know how to access an IDE tower type hard drive so I can get info from it over to my laptop? OS is corrupted and the OS disk I have will not correct the problem of the mouse cursor not moving, even with Arrow buttons on the keyboard.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:39:50 PM »
I told them it was being loaded in the wrong truck, I could use a new desk ;)

I split in half a 24' coastal wind swept "Art piece" with 4' of sweep, quite a challenge with no support equipment. They used it for the side pieces of a foot bridge to cross a deep riven that crossed to a point that over looked the ocean.

One thing about running these mills is you sure come across a wide variety of milling projects. 

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:42:41 PM »
Backwoods, have you ever thought of setting of a lazy susan type gig to run the wider degree pieces.?  I am trying to design a set up that would set on the bunks of a friends lt 40 dyraulic that he leaves here when he come out from North Carolina, two r three times a year to cut turning stock.  I saw where someone from up in New England had done something like I am talking about, to cut boat knees, many moons ago. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
Nice to see my cant hook handle covers are not the only ones slid down half way on the handle!   :laugh:
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 10:22:01 PM »
A clamp on lazy susan, would be a nice project, add a side shift and a long handle to it so it can be maneuvered, use screws or end dogs to hold piece on the lazy susan.

This same customer has another batch of POC to mill in a few days.

Nice to see my cant hook handle covers are not the only ones slid down half way on the handle!   :laugh:

Not sure but I think that comes from using them ::) a lot ;D

I just take a file to them at the first sign of a burr