alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Lazer  (Read 7917 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Lazer
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:29:44 PM »

Who needs a laser, I was sawing for a Amish guy today and the sun was real low in the sky and was hitting the blade leaving a shadow on the cant exactly where the cut was. First time in all these years I've ever seen that, mill had to be setup just right for that.  For you B20 owners if your lift screws go out replace that Acme nut with a bronze one, I was having trouble with the rods wearing out every 3 to 4 months since I put those bronze nuts in it's been 4 years and today finally the nut wore out and the threaded rods still look like new . Really didn't have any trouble with the lighter gas engine but after putting the diesel motor on those rods didn't last.   Steve

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Lazer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:46:37 PM »
Pictures of that would never show the same as you were seeing because of contrast.  However how often are you going to see that again. 
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
i had bearing bronze nuts made way back in 2000 for  my then b-20 ,we would replace the nuts and shafts every 2 months. real bummer >:(
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 05:04:51 AM »
  With the gas motor I really didn't have any trouble as both the threads and nuts lasted until a while after I put the diesel on, maybe 6000 hours before I had to replace the first one, with the diesel before the bronze nuts I had to replace every 4 months or so , now with the bronze nuts the first nut wore out after about 4000 hours and the rod still looks like new.  One of the first things I did on the B20 was to cut a little slit in the accordion boot and lube the rod a couple of times a day with 80 - 90 gear lube through that slit.  Also the bronze nut I got online wasn't self aligning like the TK was ( I don't think that self aligning worked) so I run the head up near the top where it gets hard to turn and then loosen the mounting plate for the nut and put shims under one side so it gets aligned with the rod and it turns easy.  A even did that with the original TK setup which kept that running a lot smoother.  These bronze nuts are available online for around $60 and they also sell a treaded nut holder for about $ 65 which fits right on the B20 except you have to drill the mounting hole a little bigger, after getting the holder it cost me $60 to replace the nut.  Sure was nice to run 4 years without having to fix that.  Steve