alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Lumber Grading  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Lumber Grading
« on: November 21, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »
One of my concerns through the years has been the requirement of using grade stamped lumber for building a house.  Often I cut lumber that exceeds any grade the average big box store sells or even has. 

I was talking (e-mail) with the extension agent at OSU about the issue and he said no problem,  All you have to do is get trained, pass a rest and pay your annual dues and fees per bdf, and be somewhere that the bureau can surprise inspect you!  So much for mobile milling.

Well Wisconsin just passed a law
 See here:
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/forestbusinesses/documents/lmbrgrdnghndbk.pdf.

that allows small sawing operations to grade their own lumber and allow a home builder to legally use it in building a home.  Some restrictions like direct sales from sawyer to user, training required and renewed every 5 years but all in all good for the likes of us.  The training is free and given through the cow colleges.  User has a signed written document that says the wood meets grade. 

So, I copied the link and wrote my state rep and said we need this law in Oregon so grandpas trees can build grandsons house.

And she wrote back and said, "This is a very interesting idea that I am going to look in to.  Thank you for the link to the Wisconsin law." 

Maybe if others in this state wrote their reps we could get something passed into law? Frank?  Backwoods?

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Lumber Grading
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
A great idea.  Would like to try that in our state to the north but doubt that it would fly with our politics.  Worth a try no matter what.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »
Yeah,

Do it.

Maybe we could start a national trend.  "This is the way it should be done" sort of thing.   
Stevem

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:18:38 AM »
 when wisconsin first passed the udc code several yrs ago it was a total diasaster for suppliers and builders. suddenly my company couldn't supply any ungraded diamentional lumber.
 i reached out to a newly certified building inspector from my area, short story going long here we have been able to through alot of work get the laws in wisconsin changed.not only can you take a 1 day class to become allowed to grade stamp softwood diamentional lumber but, i think the bigger win is you can use ungraded lumber in non structual areas.
 the biggest thing i took away from pushing hard in my state to make change is if you belive in something enough .make your concerns heard,if at first no one listens talk louder :)
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 11:42:52 AM »
if at first no one listens talk louder

I like that!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 11:52:15 AM by Stevem »
Stevem