alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Anyone into Off Grid or semi off grid ? Batteries  (Read 5910 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Anyone into Off Grid or semi off grid ? Batteries
« on: March 10, 2017, 07:47:22 AM »
 I'm putting an ad in the For Sale section for selling electric car battery modules. I am using a few now, and, will be wiring up more real soon. Electric rates here are going crazy. I say screw the companies.

I have some of this type I use for winching logs to my mill area on the farm, and they were previously used in my home built electric motorcycle. I have Chevy Volt modules in the moto now, and, am building a 3 wheeler with another set of Chevy Volt batteries.

I also am planning to hook up an electric battery drive system on my sawmill. No need for expensive ($6.00/gallon) gasoline or diesel, listen to all the noise smell the fumes, etc. Use a small generator away from the mill to charge as I saw.

With a little checking and maintenance, these type batteries last a very long (10 years +) in cars, so, could work well into 15 years or more at slightly reduced capacity. They don't crap out after a few years like Lead Acid.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:59:05 AM by HaroldCR »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Anyone into Off Grid or semi off grid ? Batteries
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
Who sells those new and what kind of prices are they getting?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »
 As far as I know, they are not available new. They come from wrecked vehicles and are hard to find because of the demand. The one I have would probably cost retail, around $12,000.00- $15, 000.00, as new, if they were available.

People just don't understand that Lithium batteries lose some capacity after many miles, but, still retain many years of usable life at the lesser capacity, which is usually less than 10% of rated specs, some are even as low as 5% less than rated capacity.

Used EV batteries is a hot market. One outfit in Nevada is getting $130.00 for the same modules I am asking $115.00.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:34:05 PM by HaroldCR »

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »
What is the rating of a module in volts/amp hours/etc. ?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:07:09 AM »
 The voltage is 4.20 full charge, but, drops to a steady 3.7-3.8 which is nominal rating, so 7.6 V @ 66 Ahrs which equates to 500 Whrs per module. If you are not familiar with these, they are aluminum case (sardine cans) nicknamed, that bolt together and are a very safe chemistry and very easy to connect up by 8v (7.6 actual) modules, so 15.2-22.8-30.4-38-45.6 V, etc.

What might be your usage so we could see how these would fit in.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 04:46:30 AM »
Oh, I was merely curious.  My solar setup already has a 24v, 1200amphr AGM battery pack, consisting of twelve 2v, 1200ahr cells.  Each cell weighs 200lbs.