alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Urban Lumber event near Chicago, 3/18/16  (Read 6644 times)

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Urban Lumber event near Chicago, 3/18/16
« on: December 22, 2015, 10:47:49 PM »
Those of you who have an interest in urban lumber might want to consider a program being sponsored by the Illinois Wood Utilization Team:

"Bringing The Urban Forest Full Circle" is a one day seminar held at Hamburger University (McDonalds corporate campus) in Oak Brook, Illinois.  The program will be on March 18, 2016.  I haven't seen a list of speakers but I have attended programs by members of the Wood Utilization Team and they are progressive at dealing with the glut of urban timber that comes with Emerald Ash Borer infestation.  EAB has been detected in Kansas and my county is now under federal quarantine for EAB.   

Utilizing timber from the urban forest is not restricted to just ash trees, this will apply to many different species.  The intent of the program is to pull together the whole process, from the arborists who takes the trees down (hopefully with an eye towards its highest and best use), through milling, drying, marketing, crafting and selling it to the consumer. 

We have friends who just moved to Chicago so it won't be a single-purpose trip (9 hours each way).  We are just starting a wood utilization group in the KC area.  Meetings like this are often great for networking and meeting others you only know through forums.  Hope to see some of you there. 

http://illinoisurbanwood.org/urban-wood-conferenc

Tom
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Urban Lumber event near Chicago, 3/18/16
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:47:34 AM »
Wish I was a lot closer to it.  I have been very interested in furthering that agenda out here as there is way too much waste by the cities.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Re: Urban Lumber event near Chicago, 3/18/16
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »
As information,  in addition to the Urban Wood conference, they have added a Hardwood Lumber and Sawmill Workshop to be held the day before the conference.  The workshop will be presented by Professor Dan Cassens of Purdue University.  He wrote a very popular book on running thin-kerf sawmills.  Discounts are available for early registration and/or for combining registrations with the conference.  The one-day workshop is limited to 50 attendees.

http://illinoisurbanwood.org/hardwood-lumber-workshop/
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.