alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: A question for Woodmizer owners about the blade tensioner.  (Read 11509 times)

Offline Houston Alford

• New Contributor
A question for Woodmizer owners about the blade tensioner.
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:27:47 AM »
after seeing many forum posts by fellow Woodmizer owners about fighting with the hydraulic tensioner to get it filled and/or bled, and fiddling with it myself,  i have come up with a tool idea for filling the tensioner.

if it works the way i believe it will you should be able to completely fill the tensioner in only a minute or two without worrying about getting air in it.

it is pretty simple, could be easily copied by anyone who wanted to, i would offer a "ready made filling kit" that would be about $25 for everything, or around $12 if you already have one of the pieces.  i would also make a Youtube video showing how to use the kit to fill and bleed the tensioner.

would you be interested in a tool for this and would you pay for it?

Thanks for the replies.

Houston

2001 Woodmizer LT40HDSG36, JD5105.  And a sincere THANK YOU to the owners of this forum for providing a place for the FREE exchange of information and commerce. :) FFF >:/

Offline Pinesawyer

• New Contributor
Re: A question for Woodmizer owners about the blade tensioner.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 06:45:21 PM »
I don't see where there is an issue filling the tensioner. Take the two plugs out and fill from one side until the fluid comes out the other. It would be easy to hook up a big syringe to one side and force it through. I just use the squirt can filled with atf to do that. I think the market for a tool like that would be limited.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:06:25 PM »
I haven't had any issues filling/priming mine...I just pour atf in and around the hole but I suppose a guy could use a turkey baster or similar to fill it.
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Houston Alford

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:45:45 PM »
Thanks guys,

I just wanted to know if it was worth the effort to round up the fittings and hose to offer up for sale.

Certainly not a million dollar project even if every WM owner in the world bought one  LOL :laugh:

I posted this same question on another forum, it was quickly deleted and i got a nasty gram from the owner of the forum telling me he wasn't going to let me use his forum for "market research", then told me i should just give away the idea for his members. i told him if i started selling them, that anyone who wanted would be able to make thier own, and that was fine, i just didnt want to put the idea out there only to see someone else selling them a week later. He then proceeded to lecture me about using his dime for my idea. He was also hinting pretty hard that i could pay him, or beg him to let me ask my question. I eventually realized he was enjoying himself and told him "the problem with wrestling with a pig in the mud is; eventually you realize that the pig likes it", and then i was banned from there....... now that i have read several of the stories about the interactions of current members of this forum who had been members of that other forum, it makes a lot more sense. 

Since the feedback seems kind of chilly, i'll explain the idea:

1. Install and lightly tension blade on sawmill (if you were already sawing, thats even better)
2. Back tensioner screw out to the correct position for filling per WM.
    NOTE:do not remove blade, or push idle band wheel in to compress the piston.
3. Remove tensioner plug.
4. Fill tensioner plug hole with atf till overflowing. (this prevents air bubbles being introduced)
5. Install adapter fitting into tensioner plug hole. (oil should rise out of adapter as you screw it in so that no air is inside the fitting)
6. Attach clear tubing to oiling can spout and pump can to prime tube until no air remains in line.
7. Attach other end of tubing to adapter fitting.
8. Pump oiling can until the master piston has been moved out against the tensioner screw and the slave is against the idle wheel , (blade should tighten up when filled and pressure may be indicated on tension gauge depending on how hard you pump the can).
9. Back off tensioner screw to relieve any residual pressure from filling.
10. Remove oil can, hose, and adapter fitting from tensioner.
11. Add oil to plug hole to overflowing.
12. Re-install plug.
13. Re-tension blade and get back to sawing .

It looks like alot of steps, but its quick, and you don't need three hands to do it.

Houston
2001 Woodmizer LT40HDSG36, JD5105.  And a sincere THANK YOU to the owners of this forum for providing a place for the FREE exchange of information and commerce. :) FFF >:/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »
I can only wonder what other forum gave you a hard time.  What a bunch of losers.  The hole idea of a forum is to share information, and I seen nothing wrong with market research.  

Don't get me started!  

Thanks for sharing the information and rest assured, we welcome it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:11:06 AM by Kirk Allen »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:07:24 PM »
Kirk's forum here is run the way a forum should be.  Thank you Kirk!    And all the others as well.

We need more active members and they keep showing up as the other forum that gave you a hard time chases them away. 

Critical mass is coming and we members can make this what we want of it.
Welcome aboard. :)
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »
Kirk is doing it the good ole American way.  Not the new American way. 

2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »
the forestry forum  what a piss poor place! we must and we will share info both good and bad in regards to the sponsors it's called progress. i can't help on the blade tensioner mine is air bag regulated
follow your heart, the rest will happen