alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Centering the pith!  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Centering the pith!
« on: February 06, 2016, 11:28:42 PM »
Was just over on Woodweb and came across this comment from Doc on KD wood:

"Twist results mainly because the sawmill cut the lumber at an angle to the grain.
Perhaps it was a crooked log. Perhaps the sawmill cut parallel to the pith and not parallel to the bark. -

Unless there is sever taper to a log I mostly cut parallel to the pith.  My ideal is to be able to cut the pith out with the 3/16" kerf of my Lucas (I dream a lot too.  ;D) With the exception of large hardwoods where I cut parallel to the bark when trying to get highest grade, like quarter sawn white oak and then make a corrective cut at the center.

Construction conifer lumber (western grading rules) allows up to a 12:1 slope of grain which I think is really excessive.

So what does everybody else do?
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Centering the pith!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:56:05 PM »
I mostly cut parallel to the pith as well.  Have not done a lot of quarter sawing nor a lot of sawing for grade with hardwoods.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:36:48 AM »
 i grade saw hardwoods 8 hrs a day and i cut parallel to the bark, the pith is the area i cut around and put into a cant or tie.
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 12:07:23 PM »
Parallel to the bark for grade sawing.  I do as Red Oaks Lumber outlined.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 07:57:00 PM »
The bulk of my milling is eastern white pine, I pay little attention to the pith. If I'am cutting timbers for framers I'll make feeble attempts to center it. Frank C.