alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Band saver  (Read 8416 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Band saver
« on: February 08, 2016, 05:49:33 AM »
Almost all of us will screw up once in a wile and catch the back of a cant and flip the band off the wheels. My front wheel covers are plywood glued not screwed, when a band comes off it digs into the wood and stops before much damage is done to itself and the belts. My band mill is about 12-15 years old and still has the original tight Gates belts on the wheels. If your factory metal covers have the clearance a thin piece of plywood could be glued inside, it should also reduce the damage from a broken band flailing around in the housing. Frank C.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Band saver
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:12:51 PM »
GREAT idea!  Thanks! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
I remember when I was researching mills before I got mine reading about one manufacturer who used wooden doors for just the reason that you state.  When I talked to them they had switched to metal doors and told me that the switch was due to customer complaints about the wood doors.  I think it may have been Cook's but am not certain.
I did read about your technique/suggestion in some post during that same time-frame when I was doing the mill research. Maybe it was an earlier post that you had on another forum.
Either way when I got my mill I told myself I was going to do the mod.  Of course with all the issues I still have not done so. 
Maybe this post will give me the kick in the pants I need to get started.  I was thinking that I might try short screws instead of glue but was concerned that metal screws might be a problem themselves and thought plastic/nylon screws might be an answer.  Just afraid that glue might be a problem if the liner ever had to be replaced.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline John B

• Contributor
    • www.tractorpart.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:13:39 AM »
I am working on exactly what you are describing. I've got the Idle side done, but the drive side is a real head scratcher. My mill has metal framework and a giant pillow block bearing between the drive side band wheel and the steel cover.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »
I had to reinforce the metal doors where those jumping-braking saws have chewed away at them the drive side had the most damage. Some of those saws have suffered curls  on the teeth  from the contact ::)
I looks like I could get away with a 3/8 piece of sacrificial plywood on the doors.