alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: pickaroon  (Read 34102 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
pickaroon
« on: February 09, 2016, 07:42:07 PM »
A pickaroon is a handy tool for pulling logs, slabs, cants est. they can be bought but you can make a dandy with a little work. Worn out picks can be had free or cheap get one with a good handle. With a torch cut one spike off and trim the other shorter and slimmer with a slight hook twords the handle. I've found a pyramid type point is the handiest. The handle can't pull out. Handy tool to pull firewood out of your truck too. Frank C.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
Re: pickaroon
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:51:15 PM »
a Pickaroon was like an extension of your arm when running what we call the "Singulator" (A cant/flitch unscrambler/drop out transfer) when the cant landed on the evenend rolls a tug with the pick set it to the fence before the cants went through the scanner so the scanner would get accurate length.
We ran 1", 2", 4", and 6" thru a veritable position edger.
When working around metal the tip gets blunted and a poorly ground tip will land you on your butt ;)
The pyramid shape tip with a good hook to it like you describe dose work the best

The other day when unloading Madrone slabs a pair of pickaroons would have been real handy.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 04:49:57 AM »

I would not be without my Pickaroon either... I had to finish firewood last year without one because of a broken handle  :(  Getting hard to find handles with the grain oriented right and have a good pommel on the end for grip.  Yeah, yeah.... I know.  You'd think a guy with a sawmill would saw out blanks and have handles already whittled out.   ::)

Being as I am 6'4", it is an extension of my arm.  I purchased mine off EBay a few years back.  Took awhile to find an older forged one that had very little bulk/weight to it AND had a 4"+ hook.  Hook shape is probably the most important key to having one that will hook and release with minimal effort on both counts.  The little "tooth" on the end is where the magic happens... Logrite's hook works, but not like the old ones and that is why I've hesitated buying one of theirs.  :-\  This year at the Paul Bunyan Show I am going to ask if they will build be one custom length with a handle different from their current configuration. 

I've "launched" 16"+ dia. rounds of hardwood from ground to splitter with a fraction of the effort needed vs. picking up from the ground with my hands.  The speed/productivity gained is nothing to sneeze at either.  And unloading the truck/trailer is a breeze with a 36" longer arm.   ;D  This topic reminded me I need to get it rehung on a new handle.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »
I've got a Logrite pickaroon/hookaroon (anybody know the difference?) and use it the most for moving around cutoffs and waste wood in the woodlot.  I also move around and roll saw logs onto the bucket forks I've got for the backhoe.  I basically skid with the damn thing.  It would be much better if it had a flared handle end on it, like the mill special cant hook they sell.  I originally bought it for using when milling for pulling slabs and flitches off but I've never used it for that cause I don't need to.  I don't do firewood anymore so that's out, but I can see where I wish I had one all them years ago!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »

It would be much better if it had a flared handle end on it, like the mill special cant hook they sell. 

Yup, that was my thinking also.  The foam doesn't allow a sliding swing and it is also hard on the hands.  Their hook doesn't release very easily either... to much material to wedge and bind from my trying one a couple years ago.

After making my earlier post, I got to looking on the internet.  Check out the "Fiskars" Hookaroon.  Straight and lightweight handle is a plus, BUT, the pommel is only one sided.  I'll see if I can find one at the PB Show and try it out.  If the hook releases easy and doesn't tweak the wrist upon lifting, I'll probably buy one of those.  The old hand-forged one may become decoration in the shop.   ;)

Also, check out the "Skidderoon".  I can see the advantages in certain situations the ability to bunch the branches would save alot of trips.  But the novelty might wear off quick in application too.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:56:55 AM by Cutting Edge Saw Svc. »
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 04:18:22 PM »
The Skidderoon is a genius tool.  Not a bad price really, for what you get.  Still, I wish it had a pommel on it and I'm not sure about the hook geometry.
I'd love to try one, and I just might within the next year.  It would make my life easier cleaning up my woodlot. 

The Fiskars hookaroon looks like a nice tool.  I like the shape of the handle.  If you can get your hands on either of these neat tools I'd be obliged for a hard and dirty review.

When is the Paul Bunyon show?  I know you told me once but I forget.  Maybe you should post it here and get some action going?

I feel free here.  It's awesome.  You? 

Be sure to keep spreading the word about this place.  You talk to many more people out there than I do, and also are much better at speaking than I am.  I can write alright enough I suppose, but talking in real time is tough.  Well, you know that already, don't ya?  ;D

1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 07:23:25 AM »
Ox, maybe you could form a pommel out of epoxy putty drill several shallow holes so it has a sure grip. Another handy tool I use is a slice bar to unload chunks from a truck bed. A slice bar is from the coal burning days a long rod with a handle on one end and a right angle point on the other to hook out clinkers from a fire bed. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »
I had actually thought about something like that.  Maybe a piece of hardwood turned down for a tight fit in the end of the handle, epoxied it, through bolted to help a little.  Maybe even a strong lanyard would help a bit.  I'm surprised I haven't rolled that foam right off the handle.  It's on there pretty good, I'll say that!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 08:24:45 AM »
UPDATE:

Due to my being at the PB Show for business, I was unable to even "shop" for a Fiskars pickeroon.  I asked a nearby Fiskars dealer about one but they didn't bring any to the show.  I had a few people looking elsewhere with no luck either.

By the time I was able to make it to the infield where Logrite was setup (show was over), Kevin and crew was obviously on a mission to get packed up and headed home and already had the doors shut on their trailer.  I wasn't going to bother him with asking about a custom made one.  I had planned to purchase another cant hook too, but again, he was already packed up and had a long trip ahead of him.

Ended up with a new one though !!  "T-ONE" is stamped into the head and was purchased by my wife since I was tied up all day, every day, in Kasco's booth.  The head is similar to my antique hand-forged one and will need some fine tuning with a file.  Hickory handle w/ decent shape and the grain is oriented RIGHT.  The "hook" is a little thicker than my old one but the basic shape is correct and probably is meant for softwoods.  Again, a little tuning with a file and it'll be perfect for hardwoods. 

Price was very good at $38   ;D
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »
A quick search for T ONE returned.........nothing.  Any other hints on how to find one to look at a picture? 

On a separate note - I found a picker/collecter in my UPS guy.  He saw my "collection" of "stuff" out back and one thing led to another and we traded stuff.  I traded off a dune buggy frame I'd built (pipe style frame) and some VW Beetle parts that needs and engine and tranny, and an old Honda Big Red 3 wheeler and some road signs and odds and ends for a Buffalo 43 forge (missing firepot) a bucket of tongs and hammers, two hand crank blowers and a Fisher anvil.  I'll be setting up a separate blacksmith shop in a year or two.  Maybe I'd be able to make the old fashioned type hookaroons for certain folks, one never knows!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »
This is "close" to what I got.

The "hook" in picture is slightly different.

Picture Credit - Amazon

- cesawservice@gmail.com

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 01:34:10 PM »
That one there looks pretty decent overall. 

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
Richard, looks like a fella could make on of those picaroons from an old axe with a good handle. Very subtle changes make all the difference with tools like these and how handy they are. Frank C.   

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
Ox, if you need help with that blacksmithing stuff give me a shout. I been forging for 12 years. Be careful with those cast iron forges as the will crack easy same with the blowers, they didn't use the highest quality stuff to make um.

That fisher anvil is cast iron with a steel face and they made two versions of them over the years,  the first being the Fisher Eagle and later a Fisher Norris that had two holes in the foot.
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 06:15:19 PM »
You really need to line that forge with a mix of sand and portland cement, I can remember the ratios.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 06:53:59 PM »

.... looks like a fella could make on of those picaroons from an old axe with a good handle. ...

I thought about doing that.  I didn't want to ruin an old axe head (wall hanger) and I was unsure how the heat would effect the steel.  Modern axes (cheap ones) that might be worth trying don't have the same quality like the old ones and didn't figure it was worth the cost to experiment. 

I agree, it probably could be done with a quality head.  But I'd feel bad ruining a vintage piece of history.  I like my old iron.   ;)

Very subtle changes make all the difference with tools like these and how handy they are. Frank C.   

Yes Sir !!  That's why I shopped around instead of buying one will-nilly.  The old hand forged one worked perfect and the new one will get it's "tooth" re-shaped to more closely resemble it.  Right now it's just to bulky/thick to drive into hardwoods and "bite" the way it should.  Not complaining. 

Like you said, subtle changes make ALL the difference. 

- cesawservice@gmail.com

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »
jb - thanks for the info and the offer to help.  I have the later Fisher anvil and while looking around I found an old Buffalo Co magazine and found out which one I had.  At the bottom of each add was "Line with clay".  So just sand and portland cement 50/50?  Cause I can get free clay down in the hemlock swamp.  The spring that runs through it has some decent clay deposits along it.  Whichever is best, in this case cost don't matter.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 07:31:26 PM »
Richard the one you posted in that picture looks just like the stihl one.

I have two logrite hookaroons, one is 36" and one is 30".  I broke a 30" one a few years back and logrite sent me a new one no questions asked.

A friend of myn says his friend who works at the pulpmill said that they use pickaroons alot there and that when the handle breaks they just throw em out...he was gonna try and get some broken ones but that never happened. 
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 10:29:54 PM »
Ox, as long as its lined I think you'd be fine with either.
The sand portland mix would more durable I think, clay is the traditional lining but the stuff I used wouldn't stay together and crumbled.
The main thing is that the cast is protected from sharp changes in temp.

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 10:44:56 PM »
3 parts sand to 1 part portland as per Frank Turley a great old blacksmith.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »

Richard the one you posted in that picture looks just like the stihl one.

A friend of myn says his friend who works at the pulpmill said that they use pickaroons alot there and that when the handle breaks they just throw em out...he was gonna try and get some broken ones but that never happened.

Doug,

The Stihl models (pics online) resemble the Fiskars more so than the one shown above... especially the shape of the hook itself.  Neither have the "tooth" at the end of the hook and that is why I was reluctant to purchase a Fiskars without trying first.  The Logrite "worked" but just didn't "catch-n-release" like my good ole hand forged one.  The diameter of the handle w/ the foam was to large too.

Those old-timers knew how to make tools work and work well.  That "tooth" is where the magic happens IMO.

Let me know if you get your hands on one or two of the broken ones, I'd gladly pay the shipping to get 'em here. 

- cesawservice@gmail.com

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »
Thanks for the info, jb.

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 07:01:07 PM »
I got to use some older pickeroons exactly like Richard is describing with the "tooth" at the point.  Back then I thought it was from abuse but now I see its by design.  And yes they work exceptionally well.

They will go on my "to forge" list along with a host of other stuff including a decent set of skidding tongs.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »
I got to use some older pickeroons exactly like Richard is describing with the "tooth" at the point.  Back then I thought it was from abuse but now I see its by design.  And yes they work exceptionally well.

They will go on my "to forge" list along with a host of other stuff including a decent set of skidding tongs.

I'll buy one off ya ifn u decide to sell your work.

Richard I just said that from memory I didnt compare the two side by side like an engineer would lol!!!

I have lost hope in that deal but you never know what the future holds
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 07:25:04 AM »

Update...

I FINALLY got a chance to use the T-One pickaroon/hookeroon yesterday.  I did leave it in it's virgin form so I could pass along an honest opinion.

The "tooth" will definitely get reshaped.  It may work well in softwoods "as is", but required what I felt was excessive force to get it to "hook" in hardwood (Ash).  This also caused the release to be a bit "sticky".  Much like splitting knotty firewood with an axe.  Not complaining by any means.  At least it has sufficient material available for removal to make it better for my application.  Better to have it and not need it vs. need it and not have it.

The yellow paint with the sand to add grip will stay on the handle for the time being.

The handle itself is SOLID and the head is hung well (read NO epoxy)... a rare thing these days.   :)  I'd be hesitant about buying one online though, since grain direction is paramount, unless the seller hand picked one prior to shipping, which might be a feasible thing to request.

I'll get to try out the revised version in a couple days. 

Regardless, the tool is a huge labor saver and I wouldn't/couldn't be without one.

- cesawservice@gmail.com