alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Woodland Mills....anyone have one?  (Read 9912 times)

Offline woodcat47

• New Contributor
Woodland Mills....anyone have one?
« on: February 13, 2016, 07:34:33 PM »
I am about to take the plunge into a new mill. The two I really want are both out of my budget for a beginning saw and since I do not use credit of any kind, the budget is King! So in surfing the Sawmill Trader site, I found Woodland Mills and they are reasonable and actually will come in under budget. Hoping to hear of someone who has one and how you like or dislike it!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Woodland Mills....anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »
WC47, I don't have a woodland mill but have heard good things about the Canadian fellas that are selling them that they will help and stand behind you. They are a light duty manual mill and if adjusted well will cut as good as any, only a little slower. Use care in flipping logs and cants to reduce shock on the bed. Truth be known 80 % of success is due to a well set, sharp band. Good luck mate let us know how you make out. Frank C.

Offline Skymonkey1

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:40:19 AM »
I am about to buy one myself, maybe next week and this will be my very first mill. I've never been around a sawmill so I've been doing some hard researching the past few weeks. I'm a mechanic by trade so it shouldn't be to hard for me to figure it out. If I get mine before you do yours I'll chime in with a review...lol

Offline woodcat47

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:22:28 PM »
Sounds good....ordered mine today [about a week earlier than I thought I would be able to]. 2-3 days to ship out and 3-8 days in transit to Texas. Couldn't be more excited.

Thanks Frank. I plan on building a frame of 4x8 and 4x10 beams for the mill to sit on that will help stabilize it. That said, you can be sure I will take great care in turning the cants!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:49:28 PM »
Milling is just about all common sense. Start slow and think out every move, speed will come, oh and enjoy yourself. It pays to have a sharp axe and a wire brush, before you make a cut through bark  check for dirt, pebbles, nails est. One little patch of dirt and your band is dull. If your lucky you can find a local guy to sharpen your bands if not buy from Wood miser or Cooks as they will resharpen. If you really get into milling, and especially if you cut for hire, you may consider sharpening equipment. Its expensive but over the long haul will save a lot and give you control. Frank C.

Offline woodcat47

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:41:12 PM »
Mill arrives tomorrow! I will keep a sharp eye out for dirt and yes, at some point I will get the sharpener.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 07:14:57 AM »
I see this thread is a bit old, but did you guys get your mills and get them set up? Which model did you get and do you like it?