alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: peeling bark  (Read 9120 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
peeling bark
« on: February 14, 2016, 06:54:44 AM »
The bulk of my milling is eastern white pine. As soon as the bark starts to loosen I peel it. The handiest tool for me is a roof shingle nail puller used upside down. That's the tool that you slide up under a shingle to catch and remove hidden nails. The thing just seems to have the right shape to get under and peel bark. My home built band mill doesn't have a fancy line debarker so I remove bark whenever I can it extends the sharp window of my bands. Frank C.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
Re: peeling bark
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:26:10 AM »
frank
 do you peel the whole log before milling ? iv'e peeled before and i hated it  ;D
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »
Never seen one.  Do you have a picture?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 05:42:34 AM »

Red, most of the logs I peel the bark is so loose it comes off in huge sections. furu sorry mate I'am not picture savvy. The tool is all steel with a handle a jog and a slightly curved flat end. It will slide under roof shingles and hook the hidden nails. Frank C.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:48:04 AM »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 07:26:48 PM »
No that's not the one, the one I 'am talking about is all steel and about two feet long, must be a carpenter or roofer here that has the proper name. Frank C.