alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Time to stock the pantry?  (Read 11765 times)

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Time to stock the pantry?
« on: March 15, 2008, 06:45:45 AM »
 LUBBOCK, Texas - If you think the cost of gassing up your car is outrageous, wait until you need to restock your pantry.
ADVERTISEMENT

The price of wheat has more than tripled during the past 10 months, making Americans' daily bread — and bagels and pizza and pasta — feel a little like luxury items. And baked goods aren't the only ones getting more expensive: Experts expect some 80 percent of grocery prices will spike, too, and could remain steep for years because wheat and other grains are used to feed cattle, poultry and dairy cows.

"It's going to affect everything ... impact on every section of the grocery store," said Michael Bittel, senior vice president of King Arthur Flour Co. in Norwich, Vt.

Consumers such as Maria Cardena feel trapped by the prices. She said the bread she buys has jumped from 69 cents a loaf to $1.09 in recent weeks.

"You have to buy it," said the 29-year-old mother from Lubbock, Texas. "You can't go without it. Everything has gone up."

The wheat market has been pushed higher by a combination of agricultural, financial and energy issues.

Poor wheat harvests in Australia and parts of Europe and the U.S. have caused China and other Asian countries to buy up more American crops, which are especially attractive because of the weak U.S. dollar.

At the same time, the American crop is shrinking because of federal incentives to grow corn for ethanol. And skyrocketing gas prices make it costlier to get any wheat to market. Those same pressures have also made it more expensive to supply feed grains for livestock.

At Bob's Red Mill flour company, wheat flour has typically been subject to retail price adjustments every five years. Now those increases are happening almost monthly.

"You look at the price and you say, 'Oh, my gosh,'" said Dennis Gilliam, executive vice president of sales and marketing for the company in Milwaukie, Ore. "It keeps climbing every day."

Wheat historically trades at $3 to $7 a bushel.

But this week, futures of spring wheat — which produces the flour used in hearth breads, rolls, croissants, bagels and pizza crust — were close to $18 a bushel on the Minneapolis Grain Exchange. They climbed as high as $24 in late February.

Consumers pay an additional penny on wheat products for each dollar the price-per-bushel increases. "It's a huge impact," said Steve Mercer, spokesman for U.S. Wheat Associates, an industry group.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Time to stock the pantry?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 07:53:23 AM »
I guess I will have to learn how to eat Fir needles.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:58:01 AM »
It is getting to be a little worrisome to consider the impact of food prices, diesel, and just living expenses in the near future.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
Get prepared boys as the price of corn and beans hit all time highs this past couple months as well. 

Dad sold off all his crop in February and made double what he made last year on the farm.  His words: "Get prepared because with these prices we are going to hit some very hard times." 

Everything follows the grain prices.  Diesel is now $4.20 here with regular gas at $3.49. 

Some of the ethynol plants are seriously considering shutting down as they cant afford to produce the stuff with $5.00 corn.  It was cost effective when it was below $3.00 but those days are gone. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 09:38:53 AM »
I am not an alarmist.....but I wish I was already out on my 20 acres...with the chicken coop and a calf feeding out. I heard at the coffee shop beef prices will be spiking by next year...$5 a pound for hamburger.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »
Glad I learned to eat racoon beaver muskrat early on.....theyre economical....how much does a 22 bullet cost now???

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »
Hey Buzz you can come snatch that skunk I shot last night if you want ;D

Dirty rat cost me $.90 for a 30/30 round in his mid section.   :(

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Kirk, when you get the kiln in working order to heat with the biomizer, you can go in the business of stretching hides and drying them much faster and perhaps with bette pelt quality.  Just a thought of becoming more diverse with what we have to work with, being in the wood products industry.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »
Well the grocery stores are upping the prices.  Dozen eggs were going for $1.99 at Walmart. 

We hate to shop there but they seem to be the only place that carrys large bags of frozen fruit.  Grabbed those and noticed the egg prices across the isle.  Glad we have chickens and get our own fresh eggs.

Milk hit $3.99 gal.

We hardly had anything in our cart and they took us for $60.00.  When the gal told us the total we about flipped. 

Hunker down boys its going to get worse before it gets better. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 03:44:18 AM »
I paid $3.45 for regular yesterday while taking some tree boxes back to their home place, :'(

I let Alice do the grocery shopping or else I would be coming home with far less than what she wants for the pantry.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 08:03:06 AM »
Noticed that gas went down this morning to $3.19 but deisal went up antoher $.10 to $4.19  >:(

No other explanation than gouging.   :(

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:58 AM »
a guy wouldnt feel so bad paying high prices for fuel  if the income went up allong the same lines
funny the oil co's reporting record proffets
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »
You got that right, Mike.  If I were to raise my sawing prices according to the same percentage, I would likely be out of business, in a very short time.