alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: think twice about woodmizer  (Read 32572 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: think twice about woodmizer
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 06:32:54 AM »
Baker uses steel crowned wheels and considerable tension on the band. Over the years their has been a lot of BS heisted upon us millers mostly by manufactures that want to convince us their machine is the cats ass. A lot of down pressure is sort of a crutch to make final point alignment easier. I think it has a detrimental effect on band flex life if used to extremes. My home built band mill uses minimal down pressure on the flanged guides just enough so they turn with the band, sure makes it easy to tell if the band is starting to dive. This is one old pharts opinion. Frank C.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 09:17:59 AM »

Baker is using sandwich type guides on a 1 1/2" band which must work good if the guides are kept close to the band.. Over here I find that 1/4" down pressure cuts straighter than 1/8 " as the guide wheels are the closest to the log and 1/4"will have more control over the blade . Regarding mills I'll take hydraulics over electric any day.  Steve

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
I heard that Baker's "reverse flow edger system" they have been advertising on the back of sawmill and woodlot magazine that they were going to "reveal" at the richmond expo was quite impressive.  Would love to have seen it.
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 05:16:21 AM »
Baker mills have always come across to me as pro/semi pro. The ones I've seen in operation have been impressive. Don't think they court "backyard Johnny" Frank C.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 06:47:19 AM »
i have seen the reverse edging vidieo, looks very intersting. the complete setup is crowding $200 grand which sounds big but,you can run it with 1 less worker and have nice production.time will tell :)
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »
with our warranty ending date coming soon (june 26)  >:( the failures continue.the lube pump on our mill is mounted stationary on the wall which pumps from a 300 gallon tank.yesterday the third pump failed >:( talking to woodmizer(blocked our phone number) they basically said the failure was our fault.really? how is pumping water with a water pump our fault for failure?
the favorite line woodmizer likes to use,"that's the first time ----has failed" you can put any part in that blank space.so with no pump, yup we are dead in the water again.we are cutting 16' white pine ,blade lube is kind of important.
 when you get a sliver in your finger and it just irritates you?i'm the sliver in woodmizers finger ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 10:43:49 PM »
Had my truck stolen in Tacoma, WA several years ago where it was parked in front of the main door, under the lights and in full view of the camera. 

Front desk manager said nothing like this has ever happen! 

Cop taking the report said this was the third vehicle stolen from that parking lot in the last 5 days.

Just goes to show, never believe what your told!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 09:24:25 PM »
They blocked your phone number?!?
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 06:35:26 AM »
no we block our number so they can't see who's calling >:(  you guys might be thinking that i'm just bitching but,if i can expose all the problems wm has with parts and equipment maybe just maybe someone else won't have to endure the b.s. we've been dealt.plus wm has internet trolls so i know all negative conversations get back to the "powers to be"for which i'll admit is kinda fun ;D all kidding aside i wish this thread never had to be started.