alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: drying oak 8/4  (Read 10410 times)

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
drying oak 8/4
« on: March 04, 2016, 05:23:55 PM »
 RRO, you dry a lot of oak. I'm hearing bad things about drying it. What should I keep in mind? I've got 8/4 red and white oak air drying waiting to go in kiln.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
Re: drying oak 8/4
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:35:10 AM »
oh boy, if your goal is to have dry 8/4 that has no cracks or any splitting.you can't do any air drying >:(in the kiln you have total control.the hardest part drying 8/4 not to mention the kiln will be tied up for close to 75 days,you must keep the surface moist while the core is drying.
 i have tried 2 seperate loads of 8/4 oak.. sadly i wrecked them both :(mainly i'm not a paticent person :D i really can't offer step by step directions sorry :)
 good luck
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
Well that's bad news for me. Is it the same for red or white oak? I've got live edge slabs red and white air drying. I guess I'll just let them air dry as long as I can and sale them as is. How about 4/4 oak? I've got a large white oak that just will fit on my mill. If I quarter saw it how would you handle that drying? I do have a solar kiln also would I be better drying the 8/4 slabs in that?

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »
4/4 you can get away with alot more. personally i haven't air dried 4/4 quatersawn  w.oak but,we air dry alot of a thin 6/4 w.oak qtrsawn and have real good luck doing so.
 keep in mind i believe our "northern"hardwoods have a tighter growth ring.its real common to get 16 rings per inch. southern hardwoods will probably handle being dried faster.
red oak drying schedule here says 28 days from green to dry.i have done several loads in 16-18 days with no noticeable drying defects. drying qtrsawn w.oak i can dry from green in 15 days,there again no noticeable drying defects.... all this being 4/4 material.
air drying hardwoods should be done in a shaded area with reduced air flow. not in a building but alittle shelter is good. two things speed the drying process.heat and wind. the heat makes the water release from the wood and the wind helps remove the water trapped in between the stickered layers,and air drying you can't really control either one. that makes shade and alittle shelter move obvious as there importance.
i hope this makes some sense to you :)
follow your heart, the rest will happen