alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: struggles  (Read 11648 times)

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
struggles
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:17:02 PM »
as most of you guys know 2015 we added a conciderble exspansion to our green end. been going through several issues from employees to crappy equipment but,this one i'm about to explain is by far the greatest struggle iv'e had in many many years.
 with our current sawing program we go thru 50-60 cords of logs per week like clock work ,unless we are broke down >:( early on we kept hearing,we would buy your green lumber if it was graded so, we hired a certified grader.problem solved.then we started hearing,we would love to sell you hardwood logs but ,you don't have a log grader so, we now have a log grader.problem solved.
 started finding logs but, logger says i haven't done business with you so i'm sceptical so, i pay for logs still at the landing.problem solved. the past 2 months iv'e been promised countless loads of logs only to be lied to, bullshitted at you name it iv'e heard it >:( and oh ya we offer the highest price in the area. we are 3 days of work from shutting the sawmill down. i am so dissapointed in the lack of character in the loggers of n.w.wisconsin.
 looks now like it will be shut down until july or later. this week i'm going to look into buying logging equipment and suppling our own wood. it won't be the first time i had my own logging crew.
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: struggles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:05:37 PM »
If you want something done right you have to do it yourself more often than not. 

Sorry to hear about he troubles.  Workers comp forbids much sawmill/logging work in my communist state of Illinois.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 06:09:44 AM »
I also use to log, things I look for at a new mill or buyer like you or I now. Do they unload fast, how do they unload, is it a good unloading area, will they be there when my truck show up (reg hours) and how do they pay. Sometimes cash is king. Also how far are they from logging site, miles cost money and time. Getting logs sometimes is slow and other time you get to many.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 08:12:31 AM »
90% of all wood passes within 2 miles of our shop anyway. most log trucks in our region are self unloaders.
kirk... regular work comp dosen't work at mills?
 it almost seems like the other mills are working against us, i get that we are the "new" mill in the area.oh well,20 years in the wood business i guess why should i expect it to get eaiser. ;D
 some words to others wanting to grow there business to a larger scale...sit down,look at your current situation and convince yourself your happy and content where you are. i crossed over to the point of no return years back so,sadly i must keep pushing forward ;)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »
Red oaks theirs some words of wisdom in your last post. When a business gets too big for the owner to manage himself your entering the danger zone. Ether small or real big. Years ago I did some soul searching and decided to keep my municipal job and mill part time. I'am retired now on a pension and mill for extra income, mostly for mill toys. If theirs no work, bad weather, or I just don't feel like milling their are still beans on the table. Very few are getting rich milling today if you can keep the wolf away from the door with a little extra and are happy, you've got it by the short hairs. Frank C.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »
Illinois has the highest work comp in the country.  Cost prohibitive to run a mill in Illinois. Same coverage in Indiana, 20 miles east of me is 60% less than Illinois rates.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 06:31:32 AM »

Back in the trucking business I've seen way too many try to go big, a couple made it but most were back to owner operator soon.  Steve

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 07:37:37 AM »
just made a deal with a customer for sawing.this job should last 4 -6 weeks full time. so, at the very least i have another month to find loggers that are willing to break from the comforts of their regular mills.
kirk... another reason not to live in illinois ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 11:29:07 AM »
Trust me, if it was not for family that needs cared for I would be back in Alaska!

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 02:45:23 PM »
Not to sidetrack the thread but weather has been GREAT in AK on the Kenai this year Kirk!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 06:05:49 PM »
Just had to rub it in didn't you!  :-[

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 06:25:18 AM »

He's got us panting to get loose, Kirk.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 04:10:10 AM »

It was so nice the other I felt like working, but that didn't last long.   Steve