alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Anvils with handles  (Read 24881 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Anvils with handles
« on: April 06, 2016, 08:48:24 PM »
All my saw are old, all my equipment is old, me too. Old saws are heavy but durable. Not much of a problem for me now as I don't spend the whole day in the woods and about everything I cut is laying down. My main saw for the last 12 yrs. is an old Husky 365 I bought at a tractor pull flea market in Ct. for $3.50. The saw was used commercially and flat ass wore out. I got it running dispite low compression and figured it was worth rebuilding. The jug was fine so I replaced the piston and rings main bearings and seals. The bearings and seals were just off the shelf not Husky, and a carb kit and the rest is history, still running. If you don't have to use them all day the old heavy saws still will cut a lot of wood and the good ones are worth rebuilding. Favorites of mine are Husky 61, stihl 031 stihl 041 and sachs dolmar 119 they will run as long as you care to lug them around. Frank C.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Anvils with handles
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 11:32:10 PM »
Speaking of old saws, I still run the first chainsaw that I bought about 40 years ago.  It's a Mac 10-10, with a 20" bar and 3/8" chain, early model55cc.  It is getting kind of loud as the muffler is shot and you can't buy parts for it--too old.  It's a little hard to start (it's a Mac) but runs good.  Used to run .404 chain but it just doesn't have the power it used to.  When it dies I'm going to bury it and have a ceremony of last rites.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »

Soon, I'm going to have to install wheels on my 041. It's constantly getting heavier.  ::)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 07:09:57 PM »
Newer saw are like sports cars the old 041's are like driving an old Lincoln town car, kinda nice if you don't have to hump them all day. A friend gave me the 041 he got it from his father in law I don't think it has more than two or three hours of use since new. Frank C.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 07:18:52 PM »
I have an older 026 that I have had for 22 years. 
I certainly don't think it is is old.  Maybe it is my frame of reference. 

Now my 460 Magnum it is new. I have only had it for 5 years.
The FS 450 and 250 are also new only 8 years old.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »
Back when I was a usefull citizen I was the sole mechanic for a medium sized fire dept. When I started back in the 70's we had three homelite xl's that weren't new then, they had bounced around the truck compartments for many years. All I ever did for 31 years was to sharpen them, never a problem. I took them out of service because they didn't have a chain brake and I was worried about the younger guys using them. Frank C.

Offline customcutter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
My last saw purchase was a couple of weeks ago at the FlyWheelers Meeting near Sebring Fl.  I found a Husqvarna 262XP in good shape with great compression and paid $200 for it. 

But it's not nearly as heavy or as good a buy as the Peter Wright anvil I bought back in Sept.  I got a 187# Peter Wright in very good condition for $400.  Almost felt like I stole it.  There were several at the FlyWheelers for way more money, and more beat up.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 06:00:49 PM »
I'm just now getting around this forum, and am finding some very good chats going on.  And this one is one of them that is up close and personal.. reason being, a  Stihl 41 farm boss was my first say when I got here to Missouri, it was an old one, but a brute, and once I got into the timber, I did need one more suitable for the packing around, I'm not the old school tough nuts from days gone by, I was an implant. Anyway, a neighbor had an old 41 too, and needed parts so we made some trading, and he rebuilt one that might remind some of the ole song by Johnny Cash, " It's a 51, 52 , 53,ect, automobile, " song, whatever the title really is,,its a good song, and those old saw were and sounds like still are good ones,  anvils with handles? now how would've thought this? it fits..

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 09:19:56 PM »
Anvils with handles makes the old stihl 056 and 76 come to mind, also the old larger macs and homelights.
It seems like some good saws just never die, I still have an old 266se that is a cutting son of a gun, and it was owned by a commercial faller and used hard the first few years of it's life.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 11:56:30 AM »
That song by Johnny Cash is "One Piece At a Time".  One of the greats that I listen to all the time.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
I've got a Stihl 041AV I'll sell to ya bandmiller
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
That would make a nice big brother to my 034 Super AV.  In reality, I don't need any other saws.  I use the Stihl exclusively now and have 3 other saws buried that aren't used, all old and heavy.  But I like the old, heavy saws.  They have more torque and if you file your chains right I think they can out-cut the newer screaming saws in many cases.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 03:45:01 AM »
I'm just now getting around this forum, and am finding some very good chats going on.  And this one is one of them that is up close and personal.. reason being, a  Stihl 41 farm boss was my first say when I got here to Missouri, it was an old one, but a brute, and once I got into the timber, I did need one more suitable for the packing around, I'm not the old school tough nuts from days gone by, I was an implant. Anyway, a neighbor had an old 41 too, and needed parts so we made some trading, and he rebuilt one that might remind some of the ole song by Johnny Cash, " It's a 51, 52 , 53,ect, automobile, " song, whatever the title really is,,its a good song, and those old saw were and sounds like still are good ones,  anvils with handles? now how would've thought this? it fits..

I got you beat... I bought a 430# Peter Wright anvil for a $100.00
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 06:20:57 AM »
You guys got me I've never herd of a peter wright you don't mean the wright reciprocating saw do you.?? A neighbor gave me a wright reciprocating saw never cared much for it in fact I forget what happened to it. A friend of mine was a Husky dealer he told me he would rather have a used Sachs Dolmar than a new anything else. I know what he meant I have an old Sachs 119 that's a real nice saw. Frank C.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 07:22:11 AM »
peter wright

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 09:09:58 AM »
kbeitz, you are one of the luckiest sonofaguns I've ever seen.  Honest to God.

Around here you wouldn't be able to even look at that for less than a $650 bill probably.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 10:17:25 AM »
not allowed in most junkyards either.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 01:43:12 PM »
Kbeitz, I have an anvil same size as that how do I tell if its a peter wright although all real anvils seem to be of the same pattern. I also have one half that size I got from my uncle. Story time, my uncle and three Italian fellas were tasked with cleaning out a repair facility. The three were arguing which one of them would get the anvil,  for a whole week. My uncle snuck in early one morning and put it in his trunk. Each accused the other and were almost in fisticuffs wile my uncle chuckled in the background, they never suspected him. Frank C.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »
Mine has the name cast in the side...

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 06:01:57 AM »
Thanks mate, I have looked several times and can find no name. Its a good anvil and rings like you would expect one to, it has spent most, if not all, its life under the stars. Frank C.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 06:22:10 PM »
What I really like is my anvil table....

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »
Guestimation on the weight of that thing?  :o

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
nut busting heavy probably does not come close to accurate :)

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 03:25:34 PM »
Heavy enough that my big Kubota wont lift it... But I can drag it.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »