alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Slabbing  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Slabbing
« on: April 10, 2016, 12:13:35 AM »
I am currently slabbing for a customer refered to me by Frank P.  I looked at the job about 2 months ago and figured it was going to take about 5 days to get done but I show up and there are three times the logs that were there and a bunch more that aren't really Lucas slabber material.  Customer says he has a friend with a Woodmizer the normally does the work but he's reluctant to relocate his mill at this time .  So I says I have a new TK mill that can do it and now he's all excited about getting my bandmill over to start milling the smaller slabs, like for two weeks if needed.

Last Friday he had a friend down from Washington State with a wide Alaskan mill slabbing some walnut.  His friend tells me he's been talking to a guy by the name of Sam at Baileys (Sam Bailey) and he referred me as someone he might want to talk to about Lucas mills.  That's when I learned Baileys is back in the Lucas business. I buy my slabbing chains from Baileys and had just put in an order through Sam.  He also wants to come down and be slave labor on the mill to learn and see what I do.  Such a deal! 

And apparently he a pretty fine wife as she was on the stinger end of the Alaskan on her day off from a 60 hour week at her day job!

He also said he was talking to Timber King about their mills and they too referred to me as possible contact.  

I'm famous (somewhere).  Wish it paid more! lol
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:24:21 AM by Stevem »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
Re: Slabbing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 06:15:17 AM »
If I was a little younger I would look strong at a Lucas Slabber. I see where you have me a few years but at this time I don't want to add more to what I'm doing. Slabs bring a good price when they sell and don't crack all up.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Slabbing
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
  So I says I have a new TK mill that can do it and now he's all excited about getting my bandmill over to start milling the smaller slabs, like for two weeks if needed.

.....snip.......

He also said he was talking to Timber King about their mills and they too referred to me as possible contact. 

No pictures means no proof of a new mill or something like that.

How do you like it so far?  Any issues?  How was delivery?

I still never found the name of the guy that delivered mine but it was not Roger as I recall.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.