alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: iraq war vet  (Read 9486 times)

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
iraq war vet
« on: April 26, 2016, 06:59:42 AM »
a few months ago we hired a new fella.turns out to be a several tour iraq war veteran,(thank you) .i'm seeing first hand just how screwed up these soldiers are when they return.
 this guy suffers badly from ptsd (post tramitic stress disorder) tbi (tramatic brain injury) he had his humvee blown up, lost several of his fellow soilders.he has seen his buddies blown up,shot.he also has shot and blown up iraqi soilders. this poor guy can't sleep at night,will suddenly have bad anxiety attacks, flash backs.the v.a isn't doing much in regards to offering solutions for the returning troops. >:(my only help to him,i sit and listen and engage him about his problems.i told him yesterday, anytime you start struggling,get me or call me i'm here to help.
reason i started a thread on this topic,most americans don't understand or know the sacrifice these young men and women give and how crappy the government treats them upon returning.
thank you
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: iraq war vet
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
 And the Vietnam vets were/are treated worse than what you are witnessing. We had no choice because of the DRAFT. No patriotism back then.  >:(

Good on you for trying to help the guy.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:23:24 AM »
Thank you for not only hiring a vet but also for trying to understand where he is coming from and what his issues are that he has to deal with.  Many employers give lip service to it but don't actually follow through.  
Our battlefield medicine has gotten good enough that many grievous injuries that previously would never have survived now do, but out treatment of those same soldiers when they get home has not improved and they just flounder in society.

The VA is staffed by folks that are over saturated with workload, overburdened with bureaucracy and the staff becomes desensitized to those they deal with and there is little accountability; thus the problems that they have bloomed in to the system that exists.  

Appointments are months into the future not even close to the guidelines for medical care that are published as the minimum acceptable.  Remind you of the stories that were told about socialized medicine?  We used to joke that if you want government healthcare and how it would be run all you have to do is look at the VA health system.  There it is in all its government run glory.

More money would help but just like the public school system, throwing money without a near complete overhaul of the system is not in itself a solution either.  It would help a lot however to better fund the treatment of our vets.  The problem is folks can't relate to them.  I saw a statistic that  is very telling.  Less than 5% of American know of an individual who has ever served in uniform.

Some years back, I put on my "formal" military uniform for a civilian function that my wife and I felt it appropriate (as well as legal under the uniform rules) to wear.  (called "mess dress" at the time).    I never heard the comments but my wife heard many folks, who did not know who she was or that she was connected to me, talking to others folks and wondering if I had found the uniform and the the ribbons/medals at a costume store.  Stupid folks, maybe maybe not, but disconnected from the realities that uniformed service members live on a daily basis, absolutely and that is part of the problem.

The belief that if it is not my problem then it does not exist.  The "me generation" could be blamed but the problem has existed longer than the "me generation" has, so can't just blame them.

Any way thank you for your understanding and your attempts to help this individual.
 He appreciates it and so do others, I among them.  Just hope that you are successful in giving him an understanding ear to bend at times and that it works out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:37:46 AM by furu »
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
Its a shame seems theirs always money and benefits for lazy slackers but little for veterans and senior citizens. Frank C.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
the vets protect and service so people like myself can go about life as we know it. back in 1991 the  persian gulf war, a very good friend of mine was deployed to go to iraq. they started in kuwait but invaded iraq.anyway , he was there 9 months before coming home. he and i worked together so ,every day at lunch he would just talk of the things he saw and was forced to do. life seemed to be returning to normal,he was ajusting nicely (so it seemed).then out of the blue one day his wife called and told me gary went for a walk and didn't come home :'( suicide by pistol
 to this day i'm bothered by not seeing or feeling anything out of normal :( so  i have the chance to do more and damnit i'm going to do my best
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »
Red...thanks for listening to him....I heard someone say "The kindest thing you can do for another human being is listen to them"  I guess it bring some kind of healing to the soul??? I think it is some of the BEST medicine...along with a sincere praying person with bible based answers when and if questions come up....that is the best help...government will NEVER do that....

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
Thanks for being a good man to this deserving vet, redoaks.

How is he doing nowadays?  Has his problems eased up at all, even if just a little bit?  Poor doober...  something about this story hit me a little differently and I have no explanation why...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »
Thank you for supporting the vets!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
Just now came across this thread, and it's a good heart warming one at that.  I have a long time friend that served in the Desert, back during the scud attacks. He suffered with diminished lung capacity, in the neighborhood of 30%.  All this saying he tried for years through the VA to get aid with no success.  It wasn't until he drove his John Deere  from here in Missouri, to the capital steps that he got the attention needed.  Not only for him but for many vets that were fighting the system at that time.  Of all the Vets I know, they don't want anything extra, just what was promised when they joined. Coming home to empty promises takes its toll on the soul.  Hats off to you ROL,  as well as to all our Vets, past and ones still serving..  I thank you all,,