alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: 10,800 BF of Salvaged Heart Pine  (Read 10177 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
10,800 BF of Salvaged Heart Pine
« on: March 15, 2008, 07:40:03 PM »
One of my past customers had this load of salvaged heart pine trucked in the other day.  Total load was 10,800bf of the stuff.  The adventure of this deliver begins :(

The truck pulls up on the shoulder in front of my drivway so I can use the forklift to offload him.  The plan was to unload one side and then have him turn around and off load the other.  Note the words: "the plan "was"...

Got one side unloaded.  This is that stack of wood in front of my Kiln.  While I was taking this picture I see the trucker pulling away to turn around at the crossroads east of me. 

Then I here the air horn going nuts :o
I ran across the yard to get a visual and this is what I saw ???

I could hear him holloring for me to bring the forklift.  I had no clue why from where I was standing but from the sounds of it he was getting pretty ancy about something.

I jumped on the forklift and headed east 8)

To my amazement, this guy didnt have a clue how to back up a truck.  He put this trailer slam into the ditch and sank it to the frame. :o

This shot shows the wood strapped, which we had just done to prevent it from falling off the truck.  Something that it wanted to do real bad :o

Note the wet spot in the road next to the front load of wood.  That is the spot where my forklift main shaft blew. :( >:( :o  He had wanted me to unload the front load of wood to take some of the weight off that side of the trailer. Didnt happen.  Now I have a truck with half a load stuck in the mud and no way to off load the other half. :(

Had to call my brothers farmer to come and pull the trucker out of the hole.  John Deer to the rescue ;D

I called the road commissioner and had him bring the back hoe with forks and managed to unload the other half of the load!

All in all it went pretty well considering 8) :laugh:
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Mark

• Contributor
    • Shootin'Creek LogstoLumber.org
Re: 10,800 BF of Salvaged Heart Pine
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 07:47:54 PM »
How in the world did he ever end up in the ditch in the 1st place......judging by the pic it looks like theres a three-way he coulda backed into.well,at least noone got hurt...good job Kirk! it looks to me like you live for this kinda stuff.Excitement.....you aren't from a big city by chance are ya?  Mark

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:53:32 PM »
Mark you right on in regards to the three way.  A school child could have backed up and got turned around at this corner and that is why we told him to turn around there.  He wasnt even close to the right shoulder on his backing attempt. 

I thank God the load did not dump as it was not strapped down at the time of getting in the ditch.  Once my forklift hydraulic shaft blew it was time to strap stuff down. 

Always an adventure around here.  ;D 
No city for me.  I am a country kid!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 09:13:23 AM by KEA »

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »
Kirt, my friend, you need to begin a book of sawmilling adventures.  It could well be on the best seller list in no time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:06:36 PM by Frank Pender »

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:04:42 AM »
Good job Kirk ( & lucky)!!! What are u going to make out of this heart-wood pine load anyway???  OOPPS, I just read your other thread about your plans 4 the heart pine..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 08:19:11 AM by seppi »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »
The customer is going to make heart pine flooring out of it.  He has a logosol planer/moulder and all we are going to do is size it for him. 

Frank, just what I need, another project.  :D ;D

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »
Well, all you would have to do for your friend Jm, is review your posting on various forums and you would have the majority of the outline completed.