alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Hickory  (Read 7009 times)

Offline John B

• Contributor
    • www.tractorpart.com
Hickory
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:39:01 PM »
I had a chance to saw some Hickory a few weeks ago. It was about a 1mbf job that should have taken less than 4 hours with my mill and 2 helpers
I made it happen, but it took 10 hours with 3 junk boards. This stuff played every dirty trick on me that I have seen in the past 14 years, all in one day.
I have cut ceramic fence insulators that cut better than this stuff.

Any Thoughts???

Thanks,
John
508-634-6915 x201

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Hickory
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 06:42:14 AM »
John, I've cut enough hickory to know enough to avoid it, even if you manage good cuts it will twist and warp drying. Like most species it will vary with the location and where it grows some folks probably have little trouble. Myself its dandy wood to keep you warm. Probably razor sharp bands with something like 4 degree hook would stand the best chance with lotso lube and slow feed. Frank C.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »
What blade were you using, and how wide were the cuts?  Bandmiller is exactly right about the sharp 4 degree blades and slow feed in hickory.  Blade wants to follow the grain.  Pecan is similar.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline 5quarter

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:26:57 PM »
Hickory has really thick bark that holds lots of dirt. If you can slough off the bark, it will saw alot easier. If you can't then change your blades often. You can dull a blade halfway through your first log sometimes. And you absolutely NEED a sharp blade to get a good cut in hickory.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
ShagBark Hickory has been the toughest for me.  Pignut Hickory not near as bad.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline 5quarter

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 12:20:17 AM »
yeah, I'd agree with that...Hickory is uncommon around these parts, but folks seem to find them somewhere and bring them to my mill ::)