alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Got a call from a customer  (Read 10232 times)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Got a call from a customer
« on: May 16, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
I have only recently started to saw for others on a limited basis. 
Got a call the other day about doing some work for an individual.  Asked him what he had and the size.

Him  "Oh, they are pretty large and real straight"
Me   "about what diameter"
Him  " pretty good size, at least 24 inches in diameter maybe more"

I am thinking this could be a good deal. Big logs somewhat easy cutting so I make an appointment to go and take a look.

First log has enough snake in it that I am thinking how to cut it to minimize the damage.  I tell the customer that it will be a challenge to get good straight lumber and that it will warp most likely as it dries.

Oh yes the largest log's butt measured 13.5 inches inside the bark.

Still worth the time and effort to do it for him.  Now just have to get his and my schedule together.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Re: Got a call from a customer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:54:45 PM »
I have found that these types of jobs can lead to better things.  If it is a one-time thing, then hopefully you'll be adequately compensated for your work.  Walk him through what you are doing and why.  Show him what you can recover.  He will appreciate what you are able to do and, the next time, he'll have a better idea what makes a good saw log. 

I would not, under any circumstances, mill his logs without him being there.  That is just a general practice of mine but with low yield logs, he may be surprised by the small amount of lumber, especially if he scaled them himself (not accounting for the loss from sweep or crook), and think that you shorted him.

I now video the majority of my milling appointments.  I use a small dash cam and switch Micro SD cards every 3.5 hours.  It comes in handy for double-checking my counts, tracking my efficiency, etc.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »
Well I kicked off the summer with a walnut customer today.  Called and said he had a couple real nice walnut logs that have been in the barn for 4 years.  Told him to bring them out and I would take care of getting them into lumber.

Grain truck pulls up hours after the call and by all indications, the whole tree is in the truck.  Butt log, and every branch above it! 

Finished up all of it today and wouldn't you know it, the last log, the butt log, had a nasty rot knot that was filled with everything a squirrel could carry into that hole, including rocks!  ZZZZZZZZING...screech...........stop! 

Yep, toasted a blade on the last log!  Never fails!  If it's walnut, its a magnet for blade eating material!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:05:55 PM »
Most people don't have a clue when it comes to logs and their yields. I tell them I only cut  it I don't create it. I try to explain everything and have them hold one end of a chalk line at one end of the log me on the other then they see what even minor sweep can do. Most turn out to be good folks and repeat customers. Frank C.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »

I now video the majority of my milling appointments.  I use a small dash cam and switch Micro SD cards every 3.5 hours.  It comes in handy for double-checking my counts, tracking my efficiency, etc.

Now I would never have thought of that.  That is a great idea.  The things that technology can offer us.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 09:43:23 AM »
When a potential customer contacts me and gives me the "diameter" of a tree, the first thing I do is ask how it was measured.  Like as not, they measured around the tree.  30" diameter is a serious log.  30" circumference isn't.  Good idea on the dash cam.  Could be handy on the way to and from a job, as well.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:59:28 PM »
if i got a dollar every time a customer said "oh there big ,24" diameter veneer" hell i wouldn't need to fire up the saw/ ;D
follow your heart, the rest will happen