alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Edgers  (Read 22544 times)

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
Edgers
« on: August 19, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »
I've been thinking about getting an edger. Here in NC they make the Miner edger for about the same price as you can get a Cook's or Tk. I think the portable ones might have a better resale. Also the guy at Miner said the belt edger is what he called a finishing edger, his is a roller edger. I never hear anyone use that in an edger. Any ideas what he used that term for?
Does anyone know of a used one for sale near NC?

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Edgers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 01:57:50 AM »
Never heard of the Minor edger but I would sure take the Cook's over the TK based on features and overall design.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 05:30:46 AM »
As much as I like my TK2000 and the service from them is great, I do think the Cook's looks like a better deal. Just from what I can see on videos. Never seen either one run in person.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:57:47 PM »
I tried commenting on this thread when it started but for some reason the forum kept pulling error codes.  I have a Cook's AE4P edger.  It cuts the edges off of a flitch.  How many rainbows you get in a day, well, that's inevitable.  Tracking those belts is about impossible.  One minute they're one way, the next they're the other.  When both belts are tracking oppositely is when you get the rainbows.  Mine has also had trouble with feeding the lumber.  It will go in and get stuck for some reason.  I think it's because the pillow block bearing that holds the blade to the shaft sticks up higher than the table, so it hits that and binds.  Cook's builds things like a bunch of Bubbas.  I knew this going into it.  But, I don't regret buying the edger.  I wish that WM had bigger capacities on theirs.  The Cook's had the biggest capacities, and it's still not enough at times.  Oh, and that angle iron sight line, yea, that don't line up with the blade at all, and it's NOT ADJUSTABLE.  Some Einstein really engineered that one well.  I like it and all but don't be expecting accuracy.  I've had it for a few weeks now and have put close to 30 hours on it.  I don't run it when the sawmill is running as I work by myself.  I have an outfeed table and next to it is some 6' long sawhorses (4x4's setting on spruce stumps).  I pile all my flitches on that and at the end of the day I run the edger.  It is a huge gain in production and you can get higher yields too cutting grade lumber.  I would not want to go back to being edger less.  Now I get people who want to do portable jobs and I have a much higher setup charge because it's a pita to take down my workflow setup, and also I sure as heck ain't leaving that edger at home.  I looked hard at the Thomas Bandmills edger.  It looked great, but, at the end of the day, I wasn't sure it would hold up to daily abuse.  It may have, it also may not have.  They are kind of a hobby mill company so I wouldn't think it would.  One thing about Cook's, they build their equipment like a locomotive.  It is tough.  You could drop a tree on it and it would be fine.  It is rough around the edges, but, with a lot of tinkering, it has potential.
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 04:54:11 AM »
Is that edger a new model or did you buy it new? I'd like to find a good used one, it would not get used a lot.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 05:53:30 AM »
I  looked on Cook's web site and it is one of the models they sell now. Never hear anyone complain about that before, every one I've talk to that has a cook's is very happy with it.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
I think it's because I bought it used and the guy before me had the belts so tight, they wouldn't track properly and it ripped the stitching out of one.  Now the stitching is all cockeyed and makes them hard to track.  I ground that pillow block bearing down the other day and it's not binding because of that anymore.  The belts were broke in wrong, which I think caused alot of my problems.  I think it's a great edger, and I don't regret buying it, but its a lot of $ for something that isn't turn key and go.  Even though I got it for a hell of a deal.

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 04:13:37 AM »

Sure sounds like you need new belts, sooner the better. I wouldn't blame Cooks for operator abuse.  Steve

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 04:16:53 AM »

(Cook's builds things like a bunch of Bubbas)  Really?   Steve

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 07:31:51 AM »
   (Cook's builds things like a bunch of Bubbas)  Really?   Steve

I stand behind that 100%.

I have a Cook's Sharpner, Dual Tooth Setter, Single Tooth Setter, and the AE4P edger.  I have worked on a guy's old AC-36 and watched a brand new AC-36 running.  I know all about Cook's "Quality" Equipment.  They get it 80% there, and then the end user gets to finish it the rest of the way.  From the paint to the engineering, Bubba done built it, and to fix it, you gotta think like a Bubba.  They should change the name of their company to "Bubba Built".

Don't get me wrong, I do like their products, that's why I have so much red in my shed, but you gotta know going into it, okay, I'm gonna have to do some engineering.

It's not just the belts on the edgers, there was a multitude of things that need tweaking, but, the belts are a constant battle.  Some people say the rollers for the belts need more crown, and other people say that they should have no crown.  But whatever they did with them rollers, it's not right lol. 

If you get the Perkins diesel engine, make sure to turn the idle up to 1450rpms.  They send it out of the factory at ~900rpms, and it will rattle itself to death.  That Perkins engine is meant to turn high R's at idle.  The weld on the belt shied was busted when I took delivery of the machine, the guy before me didn't know to turn the idle up.  I've heard people who have busted the radiator on the thing because of the idle being too high.  I went and looked at a new one a guy local had just got with 8hrs on it, and the thing couldn't cut a straight board.  It'd cut a rainbow all day long.  And it's all in those belts.  If one is tracking to the left and the far one is tracking to the right, you're gonna get a rainbow.  I've gotten the belts tracking much better since I first got it at least, but it will still sneak a rainbow here and there.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:41:40 AM by 4x4American »

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 09:12:12 AM »
 I really don't think we need brand name bashing of here, do you.   You sure seem to know how to fix a lot of things on you sawmill that we never hear about.  Could be some owners are Bubbas.  Steve

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »
I would say he is just being brutally honest. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 01:03:30 PM »
  Any of us can be brutally honest about any company and we really don't need to bash any company or should we.  I don't see him being brutally honest about his sawmill . Also in all these years I don't think I've heard one complaint about Cooks either online or from people I know that run them.  Calling Cooks Bubbas is really low and he should apologize  to them . Steve
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 01:32:56 PM by mountainlake »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 02:54:40 PM »
His perspective is what it is and considering he uses the product and even says he likes it, I don't believe that an apology is necessary.  Bubba has different meanings to different people depending on where you're at in the country and I doubt anyone at Cooks is going to be offended and even if they were, I will not trample a persons 1st Amendment right to their opinion, even if I don't agree with it.   

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »

I think every one knows Bubba means stupid and dumb and backwards .  Steve

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Not being form the south and with all the discussion I had to look it up to see what and where it really came from instead of my opinion on it.

I always thought it meant "Good Ole Boy"

Thanks for making me educate myself a little today guys.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

By the way I think Cook's makes great equipment.

Doug: you can't bad mouth a used piece of equipment that may not have been treated well or even tweaked unintentionally or intentionally,  just not to your liking.  Your edger belts maybe the result of mal-treatment.

BUBBA
A sweet nick name certain people give to someone they consider a bro/sister, like a best friend sorta thing.
Bubba is a southern derivation on the word "Brother"
Have you found your bubba® yet?

Whether at work, driving down the open road, hitting the gym, hanging out with family, or tailgating with friends, rest easy, because with bubba by your side, you’ve got a companion for life.

noun, plural bubbas.
1.  Chiefly Southern U.S. brother (usually used as an affectionate term of address).
2.  Slang: Usually Disparaging and Offensive. a term used to refer to an uneducated Southern white male.

bubba
noun
    Brother, Not uncommon as a nickname : Here comes big Bubba Jones (1860s+ Southern)
    also a person of simple Southern rural culture; cracker, GOOD OLD BOY ?Occurrence increased enormously during the early years of the Clinton administration : People watching ''Jeopardy!'' aren't just bubbas out there/ He doesn't have your typical ''Bubba'' approach to state government (1980s+)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:33:10 PM by furu »
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 07:01:07 PM »

I think every one knows Bubba means stupid and dumb and backwards .  Steve

I used to think that until I did a class at an Air Force Base in Oklahoma and used the term "Bubba Proof".  Room was silent, and I was soon introduced to TWO guys actually named Bubba.

Bubba is not as derogatory as you might think in many parts of the south and even southern midwest. 

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 04:36:29 AM »
Maybe being the only one from the south on this topic, around here if he's a bubba we think of a big awkward guy. Not a bad guy, just one you might call to help if you got into a fight.
Now you guys from the north figure it out.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 10:41:21 PM »
Holy cow I missed some drama over here! 

I don't like to get involved with the drama..but.. Steve/ladylake/oliverm5sc: and you're one to talk about brand bashing?  The first person to point a finger...apologize for what?  I ain't Canadian!  Thanks for the laugh.  :laugh: :laugh:

"Bubba" isn't a bad thing...Bubba just ain't so technologically advanced...Bubba means well, and is doing the best he can.

Now, the fact of matter is, I have plenty of red equipment, to speak honestly, from experience, about the quality of equipment.  In my mind, the whole entire point of a forum, is to let the truth be known.  We are here to help each other, not kiss the companies butts.  If we want better equipment, we can use these valuable forums, made available to us by good people, to let our voice be heard.  If all we ever do is bow down and try to get sales for the color of equipment we own, all we're doing is stepping on our own feet, letting the MFG. get away with building cheaper, crappier products.  If we hold the MFG's to higher standards online, and their sales drop when they start letting lesser quality products go out the door in turn for more production, that is how we will get them to see the light, faster.  Some sites can be bought out, but not this one.  Back in the day, the mfgs might have been able to get away with it longer, because nobody could research very much on something they want to buy.  Nowadays, people like Ricky can get online and post a question, and get real, honest opinions.  And that's just what I've offered, my own opinion, you don't have to listen to it, hell, pour some salt on it, take it how you want it.  I'm just offering up my experiences, to help the next guy, and let the truth be known.  Welcome to 2016.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:36:46 AM by Kirk Allen »

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 10:47:10 PM »
Maybe being the only one from the south on this topic, around here if he's a bubba we think of a big awkward guy. Not a bad guy, just one you might call to help if you got into a fight.
Now you guys from the north figure it out.

Up here they know Bubba as Hoss Cartwright from Bonanza

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 05:30:36 AM »
  One thing I learned from a honest Bubba  opinion is that belts on a Cooks edger don't track good when they are ripped some even though that didn't come out on the first post, just downgrade Cooks.  Steve

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 10:46:32 PM »
I ran a minor edger for a while.... It is my choice for an edger... Besides the belt tracking issue with the Cook's what I don't like about mine is the motor and the board return share the same space...one is in the wrong location.... Not going down the Bubba path... Nevertheless if you buy Cook's get a good set of Allen wrenches as their engineers like to use slip collar's on everything... Even places slip collar's should not be.... I have the full Cook's AC-36 mill, edger, sharpening equipment package and Tim Cook refuses my phone calls and will not sell me part's... So I rate their customer service at zero....and I continue to make sawdust

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 04:49:53 AM »
That's not good news on Cook's. Must really not like you at all but still should sell you parts. For now I've put off getting a new edger, still look for a used one if one comes up. I just decided on buying a slabber mill from Turbosaw. It should be here later in January. Got to have a bit of time between buying two machine.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 06:58:19 AM »
Are there any Yankee Bubbas.? I'am staying out of this fray. Have any of you built your own edger seems like a doable project especially for someone that has worked with them and could make improvements. Frank C.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 07:09:46 AM »
wasn't bubba the bib overall wearing hillbilly from deliverance? around these parts "bubba" ain't a term used in good light >:(
 the best part of this forum is being allowed to give honest assesments of equipment , companies ect. i never give a false opinion about a product good or bad. god knows i own plenty of junk that was given bullshit reviews.
follow your heart, the rest will happen