alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Edgers  (Read 22558 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Edgers
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 08:11:55 AM »

For what it's worth, I'm with Frank (bandmiller2). There just isn't much to an edger. You need a 1 1/2" shaft keyed . You need 2 collars that bolt to 14" blades and one has a keyway and tightened to the shaft at a pre determined location for the fixed blade and the other has been reamed in the bole slightly
so it slides on the shaft and the key lightly filed where it run the keyway and is tack welded to one end of the collar so it runs with the blade along the shaft.

A couple short pieces of 4" channel for the main frame and a couple of 4" (cut to fit in the "C", for whatever length you want for the table.

No sense in continuing. Ain't nobody gonna build one anyway.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
Poboy edger, feed rollers bolted to the top of a table saw. Your right Hal, I'll probably never build one. I'am seldom in a true production mode and just edge on the mill. Circular mill is the easiest, gravity is a great helper. Bandmill when the cant gets down to 4" I stack agenst it and trim a bundle. Frank C.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »
Here's my update.

Awhile back I bought new belts for it, and new blades.  Got them tracking good.  Found that the belts it came with were cut so far out of square that the guy who cut it must have been using a speed square and marked the 45 degree side on accident.  Edger was working..then we got to a wet day and I was told that after about 3 cuts, the belt tracking just took off, and it ate up the side of the new belt.  I am not sure if it really took off as fast as the guy running it claimed it did, he misses the small things, see, so I think half of it was his fault and the other half the fact that there's not enough crown on the wheels for it to track properly.  You get any bit of sawdust packed down in there and you have to stop and clean it or else the belt is off in la-la land.

Another pet peeve of mine is that the press down rollers have these bearings mounted backwards.  They have it so that the bearing shoulder mount dooey is right directly in the way of a board when you run a wide board through.  It will stop the board dead in its tracks.  The pointer that they use to show what width the blades are at is pathetic.  It's a piece of wire bolted to a piece of steel bolted to the chain.  My clumsy worker bumps it all the dang time and knocks it around so much we have to shut the edger off and reset the indicator, as well as every time we take the tarp off in the morning. 

They also put the emergency shut offs in bad spots we hit them all the time during regular use and have to fire it back up again (hopefully remembering to put it back to idle first).  One top of that, they plumbed the wire for it so that any wide flitch that is coming through the edger will hit it and can rip that thing right off.  The fuel can is a red gas can with a "Diesel Only" sticker on it, I thought that was funny.  The idle is set from the factory too low, 900rpms, and it rattles like hell until you put it to what Perkins specifies (1450rpm idle).  The guy who owned it before me didn't know this and it broke a weld on the shield before he had 50 hrs on it.  The sight line to eye up the cut is not adjustable and if you have anything thicker than 2" don't work very well because it's only 2" from the table so you have to lift it out of the way and then put it back on the piece once it's there and then it's not as accurate even though it wasn't to begin with.  The fence seems to be out of line and pushes the board as it leaves.  The oil dipstick was on the wrong side, the fuel line had to be rerouted to change the fuel filter, the paint falls off if you breath on it too close, the handle to adjust the blades falls off no matter how tight you make it, and it's bulky and catches your clothing.  On top of that, the thing is the most expensive edger in it's class on the market.  And a big reason they sell them and their crappy dual tooth setters is because they bought out some other internet site so the people can only read rave reviews about it, say one thing bad and like our friend above me they're cut right off.  If the companies were hung out to dry then they'd be more apt to have a better product.  I don't hate the thing, it cuts edges off flitches, like I bought it for.  We use it.  I don't really run it much any more, my guy does.  I let him enjoy the headaches that ensue.  They paint them red to match the color of your face when you're running it.  This is my consumer report, my opinion, everyone can have one, take it for what it's worth.
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »
i had to go back and re read your first post,it sure sounded like you we're describing a timberking edger but, i guess there are a couple of companies making junk ...excuse me i mean lesser quality equipment.
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 01:53:42 PM »
I got a chance to feed a minor edger a few years ago.... I liked the return rolls on it much better then my Cooks edger where the motor is unguarded from board damage... Solid built...

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
Its a wonder to me that the danged edgers work at all. You line up the board that may or may not be flat more than likely tapered and expect it to feed straight and true the whole length, without wasting edges or turning corners. I don't mill enough to make one practical. Frank C.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 09:13:36 PM »
Well, lately I've been feeding the edger large slabs up to 4" thick, hardwood.  It is taking a whooping, only broken a few welds, and the cable that goes to the emergency shut off switch on the lid, but other than that, I am growing fond of this edger.  I like the simplicity of the Cook's machine.  If it don't work, hit it harder with a hammer and it will work.  I like that they put a Murphy switch on it.  I like to just feed the snot out of it and listen to that little perkins beller.  I still don't like the conveyors, as the way each of them are tracking at the time determines whether you will get straight boards, or rainbow boards, but I've just gotten past the point of caring really.  Everyone seems to be ok with the lumber.  Plus if you stack all the boards with the rainbow going the same way you can't hardly tell lol.  I am going to be putting a third blade on at some point for other stuff and when I do that I'm gonna see if I can't get the mandrel lined up better to where we're cutting straight boards more of the time.  I found that if I have the infeed belt tracking to the passenger side the boards come out straight.  For turning slabs into 3 sided cants, it works pretty decent and it don't matter if they're straight anyways cause when we cut them to length they'll become straight enough for the girls I go with lol 

She'll do. 

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 10:07:11 PM »
Honest opinions and honest reviews, both good and bad.  It's a thing of beauty.

Regarding opinions on machinery:  Has anyone, ever, had a piece of machinery that they didn't like something about?  I honestly can't say I've ever run a perfect tractor, rig, truck, car, chainsaw, sawmill, edger, gun, lawnmower, anything at all, ever, in my life.  There's just always something that ain't quite right.  Now, I've almost come close once when my ex employer, a trucking company, bought a bunch of brand new Freightliners but even then - some would have a rattle where others didn't, some would have a little leak for the intercooler on the turbo and not pull a hill as good as the others, some had the air ride seat sink down after a few minutes, a couple had the passenger mirror control not work.  These brand new trucks ran the gamut of things that weren't right.  About 15 trucks if I remember right.  Crazy, right?  Maybe that's why they're commonly known as "Freightshakers"...

An old farmer once told me:  if it's got tires, tits or a transom you're gonna have a problem one day.  :-X
Probably some of the best advice I've ever had.  Love them old timers, the most of them.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2017, 06:05:09 AM »

That's right, nothing is perfect.  When I got my TK mills it had a couple of problems that some would have pissed and moaned about and never fixed. I just fixed them better than factory and my mill has been real reliable for over 13000 hours now. Every once in a while something will go bad, mostly electrical but not too often.  Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »
That used to be one of my favorite things to do - fixing something a manufacturer made and sold and making it better than it ever was from the factory.  Little things like bigger solenoids or mounting a second battery or replacing steel lines with copper nickel which will never rust, etc...
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
Some have higher standards than others.

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 09:48:57 PM »
That's a fact.

As far as I can see, there's two types of fellas - those who fix before it's broken because they see it coming and don't want a pain in the ass at an inopportune time and those who wait for things to break for various reasons that I'll never understand cause I'm the first one if money allows.