alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Sawmills found deep in Alaskan Bush!  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
Sawmills found deep in Alaskan Bush!
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:35:11 PM »
Hi all
I have found some old circle mill parts and a functioning woodmizer WAAAAY out here 400 miles from the nearest road that goes anywhere.
I will get some pics and post em for ya in a day or so. I would love to set up the circle mill and make it run again ....
Had a bear in camp that wanted to join in the fun....he did eventually become a part of camp......as diner...MMMM MMM good!!

Offline John B

• Contributor
    • www.tractorpart.com
Re: Sawmills found deep in Alaskan Bush!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 07:34:29 PM »
Hi Buzz,
What part of 907 are you in.

I lived in Lime Village for several years, and my family has a compound in the headwaters of the Stony river.

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:03:46 PM »
Hi John
I am not too far from your folks at stony. I am in the yukon kuskokwim delta near russian mission.....we picked up kids for camp at stony a month ago!
How long you live in Alaska...born here???

Offline John B

• Contributor
    • www.tractorpart.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 07:16:40 PM »
Hi Buzz,
My uncle has been in that part of Alaska since the mid 60's. He went there as a volunteer with a program similar to the peace corps, liked it, and stayed after his time as a volunteer was up.

I was only there for four years. I moved back east in 07.

I milled some lumber in Red Devil. I think that's pretty close to where you are. It was about a 110 mile trip down river for me.

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
Thanks for reply,
Red devil is east of hear bout 45 minute flight?   pretty close by alaska standards right? ;) ;)

Offline 5quarter

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »
Hey Buzz...you ever get back out in the bush to snap a few pics of that abandoned gear you found?