alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Another Great Deer Season with a bow!  (Read 8848 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Another Great Deer Season with a bow!
« on: November 13, 2016, 01:00:04 PM »
First Buck of the season last week.

And as usual during the Rut, they only get bigger!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Another Great Deer Season with a bow!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
Nice animal.  Congratulations. 

You stated "first Buck".  How many are you able to take in your state?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 04:34:07 PM »
Top pic is the first one I got this year and the bottom pic the one I just got.  Illinois is a 2 Buck limit, no limit on does.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
Them are dandy bucks.

Had a bit of back strap at Son's house 3 weeks ago. Impossible to beat good fresh wild venison.  YUMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm  Hope he gets another this year. but, doubt it.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 12:15:09 PM »
Very Good bucks!  Looking like some heavy weights!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
Good job - nice looking and healthy critters.

Not a huge fan of venison but I'll eat it if properly seasoned.  I prefer it ground and mixed with pork!  I wish the whole animal tasted like the back straps/tenderloins.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 05:30:15 PM »
Good job - nice looking and healthy critters.

Not a huge fan of venison but I'll eat it if properly seasoned.  I prefer it ground and mixed with pork!  I wish the whole animal tasted like the back straps/tenderloins.
head over this way, and your wish comes true, I grind only a portion, and do mix with pork for breakfast sausage, but the hams, shoulders, basically all the large sections are put up in tact, then prepared for the grill with variable combinations of touch ups, bacon being a main stay for the final wrapping, you would surely like,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
That really does sound pretty good... I just realized I ain't had my breakfast yet.  Gotta go.  :P
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »
As I do not do/use/eat pork in any way or fashion I do not put any of that in my venison sausage or while cooking venison roasts or steaks. 
I will say that venison does not do well by itself in sausage due to the low fat content and you do not want to use venison fat in your sausage ( I have tried).  I have found that mixing olive oil into my sausage as I grind and season it works very well for the fat requirement.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 01:50:27 PM »
Furu, I hear you on the pork issue, many folks don't, wont' eat for many varying reasons.  I've never heard of just using olive oil, but I do use it while cooking for certain. Years ago, I did use beef fat for the mixing.  I'm almost thinking, no, I'm thinking if I am to get one hanging this year, black powder season opens in a few days here,  I will try some select seasoning and the Olive oil for the grind.  Lord knows its' a healthy meat, and to me, quite tasty, even without the bacon or any other fats added,. The main thing I've found is proper hanging and handling, and when cooking, don't shy away from some pink, like you said, it is a very lean meat, 

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 06:24:02 AM »
http://www.contractortalk.com/f87/im-tall-dark-handsome-377161/
As I do not do/use/eat pork in any way or fashion I do not put any of that in my venison sausage or while cooking venison roasts or steaks. 
I will say that venison does not do well by itself in sausage due to the low fat content and you do not want to use venison fat in your sausage ( I have tried).  I have found that mixing olive oil into my sausage as I grind and season it works very well for the fat requirement.

What is the issue with pork? Cholesterol? Other? Just curious. I live for bacon.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »
argghh.  bacon.  good.  ;D

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 07:58:26 PM »
Kirk, you done good, those look like well fed farm field deer. I must look into bow hunting. When I was a young fella I got a bow and a handful of arrows and went squirrel hunting. Took me all of five minutes to loose all the arrows. Put the bow in the corner and picked up my sling shot, round rocks are cheap, that was the last time I hunted with a bow. Frank C.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 08:24:34 PM »
Found an arrow I lost a few weeks ago just today, smack dab under my target, pretty much covered up,  just luck I found it, a good 10 dollar bill for sure,,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »
lol  I remember messing around with bow and arrows and the fact that arrows like to bury themselves just under the sod and horizontally.  In my young mind I expected to see them sticking up out of the ground like in the movies and cartoons but this wasn't what was happening to me!