alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: wandering cuts in ash with knots  (Read 6411 times)

Offline Plowboy

• Contributor
wandering cuts in ash with knots
« on: December 25, 2016, 06:02:38 AM »
Cut my first ash tree yesterday and had the worst blade wandering ever. As soon as it got close to a knot the blade dove. New woodmizer blade 7/8 pitch probably 10 degree (changed it twice just to make sure). Tried creeping very very slow. using diesel/ oil mixture for lube.
Cant make happy customers but no idea what to do to minimize.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Re: wandering cuts in ash with knots
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 04:17:30 AM »

I use a Simonds 1 1/4  .042  3/4 pitch 4 degree with real good results in white ash.  1/4" down pressure is important.  I also have used Simonds 1 1/4 .042  7/8 pitch 10 degree which cut good also but get dull quicker.  If those are WM Silvertip good luck, the last box of 10 I tried I took them back, never used WM double hard.  With white ash on wide cuts I feed a little slower than normal but still at a good rate.  Steve

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »
 Also I don't run 1 1/2" blades but have heard reports they don't cut frozen wood very well.  Steve

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 11:36:42 PM »
Sharp DoubleHard WM blades (10 degree) is what I use and have not had any problems with Ash, knots or otherwise.    Are you cutting from the bottom up on the log or from top down? 

I have read, but not experienced it, cutting from the top down (small end to large end) can lead to that problem. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 07:37:11 AM »
ash is a drier wood ,use more lube to keep your blade cooler but, not to much. the drier sawdust will actually expand with the water making the blade's rakers want to ride up or down because it can't remove the sawdust.  i use 1-1/2 x.055 7/39 year around .they work really well in frozen wood.
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »
i won't /don't use woodmizer blades, definitely not worth the money >:( i use kasco blades and resharpen them to 7/39. they last on average 2 sharpenings longer and cost about $20 less per blade
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 10:09:38 PM »
Been cutting frozen wood.... Saw started wandering... 1 1/2 x.055x7*Turned off the water and turned on the diesel drip... And increased the set from .O27 to .033 put saw back on and it cut flat