alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: vegetable oil for bar oil  (Read 6476 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
vegetable oil for bar oil
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:49:12 AM »

Down here the going price for 1 quart of cheapest ?? motor oil is nearly $8.00. I have a nearly full (55 gallons) of used cooking oil that I can filter out the tiny crispies and use as bar oil ? Anyone else use veg oil as bar oil ?

Saw is well used and should not cause any additional wear ?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: vegetable oil for bar oil
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 02:19:21 PM »
That stuff will rot and stink up the work area! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:23:15 PM »

There are enough critters, insects, etc. around here to eat the stuff, but, I hardly ever see motor oil streaks when cutting .  Besides, It will be used in various locations. I use about 1 quart of motor oil to 4 tanks of gasoline.

New project is, ELECTRIC chainsaw conversion. Got an old 041 sitting is son's garage and, I'm headed that way on the 10th.  ;D  Gotta go get and tear down another Chevy Volt battery or 2 and get the modules sold and shipped.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:48:02 AM »
Hal, go to your local transmission shop and get some drained ATF let it settle or filter through old skivvies. That will be better than fry oil and you won't be hungry all the time smelling fries. Drain oil is bad due to the products of combustion, something not in Hydraulic oil or ATF. Frank C.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:52:15 AM »
 Frank, I would bet there are maybe 200 Automatic trannys in all of Costa Rica. They are bad, according to all the people here.  ::)  ;D

I am nearing the end of my warranty, along with most of my machinery, so, maybe it's OK if we all go out at the same time  :-\

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:47:46 PM »
Hal I didn't realize you were in CR, probably anything that is slippery will do. They do sell a refined veg. oil for the greenies. Filter it and try it but I wouldn't leave it in the saw in storage. Our cruse ship stopped in Costa rica its a nice stable country I love the tropical fruit. Frank C.