alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Log Loading Made Easy  (Read 8371 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Log Loading Made Easy
« on: March 27, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
Went and picked up some logs yesterday that a neighbor couldn't load with his tractor.  He asked how I am going to load them and I told him I would just roll them up on the trailer. His response was, This I have to see! 

Log Loading made easy!

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Log Loading Made Easy
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
Nice job.  Much easier with a deck over trailer.  What are your ramps made from.  I would have guessed about 3-3.5K for that log and they bowed a bit but not bad?
I am still looking at making a loading arch for my trailer but time is something that I am very short of these days.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »
2x6 steel tubing with angle iron welded as grips on one side.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:39:42 PM by Kirk Allen »

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
 That's cheatin using a tractor.  ::) ;D ;D Mine was self contained for loading AND unloading up to 35' long logs. Could be a totally 1 man operation.  Maybe I will steal a photo and post it here.  ;)

My trailer wasn't decked, either.  ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:21:00 PM »
I loaded one whole tree that was 35 foot long and did it with the truck.  Unhooked the trailer, blocked it in place and used the truck to pull the log up.  Once loaded, hooked back up and drove home.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
You need the staples button...that was easy lol nice country out there.  Bet there is some good deer hunting
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 12:38:18 PM »
  Bet there is some good deer hunting

Some of the best deer hunting in the country! 

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »
Looks like alot of nice hardwood timber too
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline customcutter

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
Anyone tried this with a regular trailer that is not a deck over, with some smaller logs?  I don't see why it wouldn't work?

thanks,
Ken

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 06:16:05 AM »
Kirk, that lash up works well. I would turn the ramps over for a wile until straight then truss the bottom with some rerod  it would greatly aid the load carrying capacity and add little weight. Frank C.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
Custom cutter, We had 2 self loading trailers. I made a "U" shaped bar out of 2" galv water pipe with an angle brace in each corner for side stability. Fastened it at the rear of the trailer with 1 bolt on each side and a bracket bolted to the trailer for the pipe frame ends "legs" to fit inside and hold the outer ends of the bolts.

Both trailers were built the same only 1 was 28' open frame and the other was a 10' decked trailer. We put a 12v 6500# winch on the top of the gooseneck in the front and a 3500# 12V boat super winch on the decked trailer. A couple of chains were added to adjust how far back from the end of the trail would give the log clearance to set up on the deck or open frame.

A short chain was added to the center of the crossbar, but, it WAS movable, side to side, so we could stack the logs appropriately all longways on the trailers. A snatch block was hung from the short chain and winch line threaded through and down to the log. We could drag the logs to the trailer if necessary, and raise the end up and set it on the trailer. Then, slide the cable back on the log and repeat.

We had 2 chains fixed to the end of each trailer, that would allow the "U" bar to swing forward and stop just short of "breaking over". Slack the winch line and the bar would travel back toward the next log, OR, just leave the winch cable snugged up and transport the logs as far as you needed to go.

Hit the forestry forum and poke around in my gallery for many pictures of what we did. I'm not good with posting photos here.

I even made a wooden one down here and loaded a 42" dia. X 12' Mango log with my wife as the only helper. We had quite an audience and not one person helped or believed we could load that log. Once on the trailer, I waved to the crowd and took a bow. Wife couldn't believe I did that.  >:D

Offline customcutter

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
Thanks Harold.  Sounds like an excellent idea!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 08:48:33 AM »
Watching that video brings back some good memories, we've loaded a fare share of logs  parbuckling,  even on the trailers with the railing and fenders,, we just set the ramps,(poles) many early on was young green trees in the 4-6" range, believe me this get exciting, we ended up buying some heavy walled pipe, welded hooks on the ends hold on the railing then smooth going after that. I do need to mention, in the early days, a few fenders needed some TLC :laugh: