alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: JD 240 skid steer  (Read 5609 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
JD 240 skid steer
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »
Just picked up a very clean JD skid steer to use around the mill. Used mostly for snow removal 1071 hours. My current log loader is a Deere 60 2 cyl. with forks I'am debating whether to put the forks on the skid. The old 60 has good reach and will lift anything this old phart wants to mess with. Time being I will probably leave the bucket on the skid for snow and sawdust. Frank C.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
Re: JD 240 skid steer
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 08:37:10 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but just wondering how you were liking and using that skidsteer.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:28:59 AM »
Mac, just used it yesterday to clear snow. To be honest its OK, theirs a learning curve and I'm about half way around it. I'm not pleased with the visibility especially backing up. It weighs about three tons and can inflict some real hurt on vehicles and buildings if the operator is not careful. It beats the hell out of a shovel though. Frank C.   

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 07:18:47 AM »
I remember running skidsteer a lot and I used memory to simply "remember" what around and behind.  But when you're not sure...you're right - backing up SUCKS.  Can't see squat.  Maybe you can rig up a mirror system.  Use magnets or something so the mirrors can come off easy if you want...  I would think with some messing around 2 mirrors could be rigged so you can see behind you somehow...

Nothing beats a skidsteer for many things.  I almost wish I'd gotten one instead of the backhoe all them years ago just because of the number of attachments you can get to run them with.  In fact, I'd probably use a skidsteer most all the time, but that 5 or 10% of the time when you just need big iron with lots of grunt, a big backhoe is also hard to beat.

Do you have a blade attachment for snow or just using the bucket?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
A skid steer is high on my list of wants. They are probably one of the handiest pieces of small equipment ever built, with all the available attachments, and a quick change set up.

The only problem I can see is there is just no end to attachments, so if I got one, where would it end? lol

My neighbor has had a T300 tracked one for several years, he can spoon feed a baby with that thing.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:12:45 PM »
Ox, I have the construction bucket no teeth and the use of a multitech log grapple across the street. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »
Nice.  You've got two of the most useful for what we do!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools