alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: TK B20 owners  (Read 6113 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
TK B20 owners
« on: June 04, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »

I should have done this years ago, this morning I converted the tensioner to acme treads ,  Works great counting 1/2 turns now it takes 5- 1/2 compared to 18 with the fine threads and it turns easier as I put longer handles on it like the TK2000 has.  Steve

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Re: TK B20 owners
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »
Steve,
More details...  shaft size, thread count.  Did you have a new block made or just have a machine shop bore out and re-thread.  $$
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:07:13 AM »

Tom
    I used 3/4"  shaft with 6 tpi  with a steel nut welded to a 7/16 plate about 4 " long and wide enough for the 2 mounting holes. I welded the nut more towards the outside end of the plate so I can squirt some oil on the treads from the wheel side.  On the handle end I screwed on a acme nut and then welded it, then welded a 20" long 5/8 bar for the handle, still have get some knobs or make some wood ones.  https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/65137374   This tensions up really  easy  5 1/2 half turns after the blade is snug.  I'm going to keep the old tensioner with me just in case but I see no problems unless  my weld breaks
                                                                                               Steve

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »
Good for you Steve, these mills are built by folks like us, maybe they never gave that part a second thought or maybe it was just cheaper to use the all thread rod. If I find something I don't like on my mill I change it. Its a rare piece of machinery that can't be improved. Frank C.

Offline jake

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »
Good idea steve. I almost went to an acme screw when mine failed last year, but instead had a machine shop make a new block and replace the threaded rod. was fairly inexpensive. I will keep this in mind for next time. any pictures you can share? Thanks, jake.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:49:25 AM »

Jake   No pics yet but after using the acme tensioner for 4 months I'd never go back to the fine thread one, just so much easier to tension a blade now.  Steve