alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Biggest audiance ever  (Read 5677 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Biggest audiance ever
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:50:30 AM »

I did a sawmill demonstration  put on by the county called Enviro Fest,  there were 450 5th and 6th graders there plus around 50 adults.  Got blessed with some easy to saw popular and pine logs.  Steve

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Biggest audiance ever
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:58:12 AM »
That's good Steve, feels good to be a hero, wonder if any of them will have to empty sawdust from their pockets when they grow up. Frank C.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:33:42 AM »
 Most lost interest after 10 minutes but some were real interested, hopefully we still have some good kids.  Steve

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »
We have offered in the past to host the local high school and demonstrate sawing and to date, they have not responded.  Glad to hear you had such a good response! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 04:32:19 PM »
Steve,

Congrats on a successful, big, demonstration.  They are important, although it might take a long time to pay off.  I have been contacted by people who saw a demo, or drove by a mobile milling appointment, years before.  With kids you have to front load your presentation, attention spans are short but, if you get their attention, they'll remember it a long time.   One day, one of those kids, parents, or teachers will see a tree blown down in a storm, or being removed by a tree service, and think, "you know, there's this guy..."

I do a couple of them each year, including one next month for the International Sculpture Conference.  I'll be milling urban logs on the campus at KU, along with a metal casting demonstration, and a stone carver.   
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.