alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Band rolling  (Read 19501 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Band rolling
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »
You did that on a phone?!?  I seen the wife texting a few times and it looks hard to do with the little buttons you gotta aim for.  I've never owned a cell phone or smart phone or tablet or whatever the hell ya call em.  I might need one in the future if my dream comes to fruition.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
I did lol..90% of my forum viewing is on my smart phone.  I was against em for a few years like wicked bad dude then I got one and the features they offer make me a better business owner.  I can respond to emails real fast, look up a company's location/phone number on the internet, check my bank account, deposit checks, transfer money between savings and checkings, look on the forums, take decent pictures, etc.  I was all against it and now I'm all for it, kinda sorta.   But trust me I do alot of backspacing with my meaty thumbs lol
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »
Ox, don't feel bad I don't and won't have a cell, pad or any other phone device. I'am retired now but for over 30 years I was on call 24-7 365 and I still curse when I hear a phone ring. Frank C.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 07:39:29 PM »
That's a long call what were you talking about?   >:D

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 05:28:10 AM »

No smart phone here either, seems like everyone that has one cant leave it alone for more that 2 minutes including people who off bear on custom jobs.  Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
I can see them being both a boon and a bane.  I know that I see lots of folks and kids looking at their hand these days.  But in 4x4s position I can see it being quite helpful.  The wife likes hers just because, we don't do much for fun so I don't say much about it.

I remember once talking to a new acquaintance and them holding their finger up in my face while I was mid sentence, then they turned their back and walked away a bit after they answered their phone.  I was so pissed I wanted to make them eat that phone.  How rude and uncouth can a person be?  And to be basically dismissed like that was just a touch unnerving and pissed me off.  I couldn't help it.  Maybe it was important.  If it was they could have said so quickly and all would have been well.  Maybe I'm just too old fashioned.  Who the hell knows...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
Totally off the band rolling topic but Ox hit the nail on the head. 

Everything revolves around the phone.  Answering it and playing with it takes priority over everything else. 
Why are they having to pass laws prohibiting them while driving: Because they are more important than safety and the keeping your eyes on the road. 

It is not just the young generation but they have the bug the worst.  You see it in every generation and demographic anymore. 
It is sad.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »
I've never been one to say anything about going off topic..anyone who's spoken with me in real life might be able to verify that I usually start 10 different topics and don't finsh any of them hahah..

Anyways, 

YES!!  I absolutely cannot stand these phone zombies.  I have multiple friends that will look at their computer phones while I'm talking to them and so what I do is just stop talking sometimes walk away.  Makes me want to take that phone and chuck it.  They'll usually say oh no keep going I'm listening.  Ok then I give them a pop quiz and they usually don't pass.  I cannot stand driving down the road and having some dumbass driving in my lane and they are looking down at their phone.  Now I'm not conding texting and driving, but, if you're gonna do it, do not do it when you're passing sombody, only when there is no danger of hurting someone else, only your own dumb ass.

When I'm in someone else's presence, I don't never look at my phone.  If it rings I just reach over and press the silence button (without looking at it).  Multiple times people will ask me if I'm gonna get that or tell me my phone is ringing...I'm usually like yea no shit..I'm not taking calls right now I'm preoccupied. 

Now, during the day when I'm sawing, I do look at my phone when I feel/hear it ringing and there is only usually one person that I will answer and that is my lumber buyer...anyone else I let it go to voicemail and I'll listen to them at lunch or the end of the day.  One of the benefits of this is screening potential customers.  If they're a serious buyer, they'll leave a message.  If they don't leave a message, piss on em!

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 06:50:13 PM »
I've never been one to say anything about going off topic..anyone who's spoken with me in real life might be able to verify that I usually start 10 different topics and don't finish any of them haha..

I can verify this. :)
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.