alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Husk weight  (Read 10243 times)

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
Husk weight
« on: September 27, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »
Hello all,
Finally started to move Chase handset mill home.
The carriage was an easy move with a borrowed wrecker. Second trip we grabbed the power plant, a gas IH on skids.
So now onto the husk. It's a wood frame. Any guess as to the weight ?
Thanks, Lee

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Husk weight
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »
What type of wood?  Got any pics?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »
Lee, I don't know for sure but I would estimate 1000 lbs. My own mill has a Lane#1 cast iron husk and its well over a ton, your wood should be considerably less. Frank C.

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 03:21:44 AM »
Kirk it is White Oak 8x8. I'll try to get pictures on the next visit.
Thanks Bandmiller2 That sounds good!
My tractor should be able to lift it.
Lee

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:47:13 AM »
The one I have is wood and I would guess it to be between 500-1000lbs.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 06:42:13 AM »
Lee, my circular mill is mostly Chase with some Lane mixed in. If I haven't offered yet your welcome to look at my mill and take measurements I'm just over the line in Franklin Ma. Frank C.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
Welcome Lee, from another circle miller.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 05:08:23 AM »
Thanks Frank, I'd like to stop by sometime when I start sawmill bummin. The mill is in North Smithfield and I am in Glocester so yes Franklin is close.
Lee, my circular mill is mostly Chase with some Lane mixed in. If I haven't offered yet your welcome to look at my mill and take measurements I'm just over the line in Franklin Ma. Frank C.

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 05:09:16 AM »
Thanks Joasis.
Welcome Lee, from another circle miller.

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 06:22:29 AM »
Other than a few smaller items and parts the rest of the mill is moved.
Able to move the husk in one piece, with the exception of the sawdust drag.
The move went great and the husk and ways looked nice going down the road on my friends '52 Chevy flatbed.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 06:42:54 AM »
Sounds like your project is moving along. I was thinking about how you would insure proper alignment with the husk to the frame?

On my grandfather's shop made mill, it used pipe unions that were not adjustable to connect the husk and frame together, and while that worked ok for the guy who built the mill...he fabricated it to mainly saw cottonwoods and soft woods for barn building, it was not ok for hardwoods like black walnut and pecan.......so my grandfather used piano wire and a turnbuckle to make it E string tight, stretched from one end of the carriage frame to the other,  and measured to the blade face. When alignment was perfect, he then drilled a hole in each union, 4 of them, and pinned them with roll pins.

I saw the mill many, many years later, and the pins had been removed and replaced with bolts and shims.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
The two major parts of a circular mill are the frame ( where the carriage track is mounted often called ways) and the husk where the arbor and feed works are mounted. There are two schools of thought And I have tried and used both, first is to attach the husk to the ways the second is to not connect them. It is easiest to connect them but unless everything is rock solid the carriage and its load can transfer motion to the saw causing it to chatter in the guides. My current mill is not attached and works fine shocks on the carriage are not transferred to the arbor and saw. Probably best to connect them if you have a solid foundation. Triangulation and tape measures are your friend when aligning ways to husk. Everything must be level and plumb to the limits of a real good carpenters level that agrees with a machinists level. On my mill there is 1/2" between the knees and the saw, and the bottom of the knees just clears over the outer saw collar. I like to keep thing close and mill to 1" last board. Frank C.

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »
Thanks guys sure is helpful.
The previous owner had the husk attached to the ways by notches in the beams if that makes sense, not sure I am describing it clearly. The plan so far is concrete piers, no slab. Please let me know your thoughts on leaving it attached or not.
Lee

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 04:38:24 AM »
Lee, I would leave it attached as it is now. Frank C.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 06:36:34 AM »
I did not know the rails were called "ways", but it makes sense to me. I think in the manual for my Meadows, it refers to the frame with rails.

If you had a concrete base that allowed for fully supporting the husk and the ways, I can see the advantage in not connecting them. As an old machinist, vibration was always a killer.....but then again, if you leave them connected, and they are firmly anchored to concrete, then you have a deadening base that should dampen vibrations.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563