alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: freedom!  (Read 36323 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: freedom!
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
Kirk, I would like to hear what you think was the reason for his actions. I think I know why. You can PM or Skype if you like. I'm not debating or outing a dead man out in public anymore.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »
Is CR Costa Rica?
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »

YESSIR, CR is Costa Rica. If you ever decide to head this far south, let me know. Everyone on here is welcome. Just don't blame us because you get sick from sugar in your food, because you didn't mention your health problem to us, like happened once before.  ::)  :laugh:

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »
Holy cow, that's a long way down there!  About a 4,225mi drive for me...I would melt being that close to the equator lol
What's the temp down there right now? 

www.KnightSawmilling.com

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »
Pretty much the same year round. 65-85 degrees F , right now coming close to getting out of the end of rainy season.

Gotta laugh about all that equator heat stuff. Ecuador had my attention for a few years, and it runs around 75 degrees year round at sea level. Always colder in the mountains though.  We DO have airports down here.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »
really??  That don't sound too bad 65-85 year round.  I would have a hard time learning to speak fluent spanish tho

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2017, 08:19:51 PM »
That sounds downright reasonable temperature wise if you ask me...

Aren't there some equatorial countries that are hotter than hell?  Why is it so temperate where you are?  It's a good thing I'd say, that it was so reasonable.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2017, 08:27:16 PM »
Maybe because of all the water right next to them?

www.KnightSawmilling.com

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2017, 09:43:13 PM »
My spanish is poor at best. Most of the time the natives ignore what I say, so, I then revert to English. :laugh: :laugh:  I live way out in the country, others prefer to hang with the Gringos.

It gets pretty humid here, so, it depends on where you live. We have 3 months of occasional rain, then pretty regular rain the rest of the year. Over on the Pacific side, they don't get measurable rain for up to 6 months before the rainy season returns. 

I believe the Sun has the most effect on temps.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2018, 06:34:10 AM »
I spent two years in the Philippines much like CR two seasons wet and dry. Most days sunny and beautiful just before rainy season it gets real humid. A couple of months of rain which is welcome as it cools things down. One year it flooded so bad trucks could not get to the base from the brewery in  Manila, navy had to send a barge on a beer run. Frank C.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2018, 07:53:46 AM »
That Sun comment didn't come out right. The Sun does not heat at the equator like it does the northern hemisphere. The cold Pacific ocean might have cooling effects on the air that passes over the mountainous equator region.

It's been a couple hundred years since I was in Geology classes in high school.  ::) ::) ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2018, 07:59:43 AM »
I spent two years in the Philippines much like CR two seasons wet and dry. Most days sunny and beautiful just before rainy season it gets real humid. A couple of months of rain which is welcome as it cools things down. One year it flooded so bad trucks could not get to the base from the brewery in  Manila, navy had to send a barge on a beer run. Frank C.

Spent some time there myself.  All TDY but it added up over time.  Interesting country to say the least.  Clark AFB no longer there after the volcano blew.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2018, 10:01:32 AM »
Please forgive my ignorance...what is TDY?  I'm assuming it's a military acronym?

For the record:  I tried to enlist but was rejected because of my bad left shoulder.  I was 19 at the time.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
TDY- Temporary Duty Yonder
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2018, 12:51:09 PM »
More than you really want to know.

TDY   Temporary Duty Yonder (military slang)

A temporary duty assignment (TDA),
also known as "temporary duty travel" (TDT),
"temporary additional duty" (TAD) in the Navy and Marine Corps (or TDI for "temporary duty under instruction", referring to training assignments),
or "temporary duty" (TDY) in the Army and Air Force.

In the U.S. military, the abbreviation "TDY" stands for temporary duty. Temporary duty refers to the situation when a soldier or other employee is assigned to serve at a location that is not his permanent station.
Generally, TDY assignments are shorter than six months in duration. If an assignment lasts longer than that, most organizations consider the assignment to be a permanent change of station. Soldiers can be assigned anywhere for their TDY assignments.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2018, 04:23:45 PM »
After I bought my mill it was a few months before I picked it up. In the meantime I found the FF and read anything to do with sawing threads all the way back to a point to the threads were in a different format and hard to follow. I never seen Tom mention that his mill had been stolen or anything else bad about you or anybody from him. I do remember him saying his woodmizer had rust issues that made it totally unusable. I also seem to remember that he had mentioned sometime that someone in Georgia had it back to making lumber, for some reason I thought it was some kind of kinfolk to him.

Maybe there was something bad healthwise going on with Tom that made his memory go south, which would be sad, but really not unusual, just going by his post that I read, I always thought he would be good to know personally.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2018, 07:24:32 AM »
TDY- Temporary Duty Yonder

Good one...I had heard that one years back, along with "temporarily divorced for a year, and a few others, but I had to take a second thought to know if that was really what it meant.

I never had an overseas assignment, or TDY, but did some cross country training to the "yonder" down south.  Extended training missions, ETMs.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2018, 07:26:02 AM »
I never seen Tom mention that his mill had been stolen or anything else bad about you or anybody from him.

Maybe there was something bad healthwise going on with Tom that made his memory go south, which would be sad, but really not unusual, just going by his post that I read, I always thought he would be good to know personally.

I guess I draw a blank, but the only Tom I knew that the clown with the alligator as a GIF.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2018, 02:14:15 PM »
At one point in Nam there was a limit on the number of assigned personnel in country.
TDY (Temp duty) and PCS (Permanent Change of Station) differences were used during Nam to keep the number of stationed  people down.  If you were TDY you weren't assigned as being in country as far as head count went.
In the USAF anything over 90 days was considered assigned and PCS'd thus we had 89 day TDYs then a trip to the Philippians for a week at your "assigned" base. 
Oh the games we played
Like wise the B52's flying out of the Philippians and Abo Garcia weren't assigned in country so not counted against the head count.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
These kind of mind games and half truths bring to mind the word "misinformation".  The government has said in the past:  "We didn't lie to you.  It was misinformation."  Aaaaaaahhhhhhh, the dulcet sounds of being treated like a mushroom, sunshine being blown up my ass and pissing down my neck and telling me it's raining.

Still, could be worse.  This forum could not exist.  Now wouldn't that suck?  lol