alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Replacing Worn Out Safety Boots  (Read 5582 times)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Replacing Worn Out Safety Boots
« on: October 01, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
I really like wearing my cork (caulked) Viking Timberwolf boots.   They have served me well and increase safety a lot.  Steel toe and Class 3 chainsaw rating  With the corks preventing me from slipping on the wet material on the forest floor I don't really know how I survived before with normal Vibram sole safety boots in wet weather.  Of course wet weather is 8 plus months out of the year up here.

I always bought the VW69-1 model from Madsens and when I looked for my replacement set I found they were no longer available.  Was told they were no longer made.  Went on line and found multiple places that listed them until you tried to order and then it stated they were no longer available.  Talked to the importer for the US for Viking products and they said they were not available in the US anymore.  Well our Canadian brothers still had them in their stores and online presence so what was the deal? 

I was told by every US dealer that the VW65 was the same boot except for chainsaw protection.  Well then it is not the same boot at all.  With the OSHA police we have here in the US you would have thought that the US would have the safest boot available but that is not the case.  On top of that I read reports from others that wear this type footwear a lot, that the VW65 were not easy on the feet.  Exact words were: "after a full day your feet hurt due to lack of support."

I, being the frugal person that I am, was afraid what the CBP folks would put on as an import duty and did not want to have my boots result in a price that was doubled by the import duty imposed by CBP.
I kept looking and had almost decided to try the VW 64 model as they seemed to have better support than the VW65 but they still did not have the class 3 rating.

I had replaced the corks in mine I don't know how many times but with the boots coming apart it was time.

Finally decided I had to do something as my boots had totally given up the ghost.

Well the real rational behind this post/soliloquy is to let folks know that you can order this type of stuff from Canada without getting hit with a tariff/duty on the import.  The Canadian dealer I dealt with said that they had no idea if the US would charge a duty but the boots came through without any issue.

You may not be able to buy the best safety equipment here in the US but you can get it shipped in from Canada without paying duty. 

At least this time I was able.

Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Replacing Worn Out Safety Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
That's good to know.  Thanks for sharing!

I've never seen a boot give up at the top cuff before.  For me it's always a sole separation issue no matter what brand, but I'm also not doing what you are in the woods as much.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline DGDrls

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »
Who did you purchase through Furu?

best
D

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
Deakin Outfitters out of Vancouver BC

Really good folks or so it seems. 
It was my first order from them, but it won't be my last.

https://www.deakin.com/Contact/

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 02:22:01 PM »
With calks like those I'd get shot sneaking in the house for a beer. Just for chuckles next time your in a large shoe store try to find shoes or boots made in USA. Apparently those safety boots don't come from the pacific rim where they wear flip flops working in a foundry. Frank C. 

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
You don't walk into the house,
you don't get in the truck,
you do not climb into any of the equipment. 
They are not friendly to any "nice" surface that you walk on. 

They are however, friendly to you the wearer when you are working in the woods, especially when it is wet and slippery.

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:21:45 AM »
One of the nicest pair of boots I ever owned were Wesco caulks. This was 25 years ago. I've had other brands since then but none as comfortable or long wearing. I recently decided to " build" a pair on Wescoes web site but backed off when it was nearing $700 ouch.
Frank I have caulk tracks from the front door to the woodstove in our dining room and the wife did not shoot me!
Hard linoleum floors are perilous with caulks fyi.
Lee

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »
Never seen these before,, sheltered I reckon, but they look great for ice,  all I could do when the freezing stuff showed up was to put on my golf shoes,  :laugh: Now I just look at it, and stay in doors, ;D  I recently bought a new pair, low end budget, but nice working in boots,  Rocky  Iron Clad, they were only 120 bucks,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
I'm starting to think for us guys that don't need to make a living with our boots, we can get along with the cheaper work boots and it's good enough.  I have no idea what I'll buy next.  Last pair was a pair of hiking boots that was on sale for $80.  Lots lighter and cooler in summer but they don't have a stiff sole like I prefer and would expect for a hiking boot.  Hurts when standing on a ladder because my foot is rolling around the rung so I'm having to hunt around and get near the ball of my foot. 

The older I get the more I realize that there are pros and cons to everything.  I can't think of a single thing that isn't this way!  I think I'll start a new thread with exactly this to pick the brains of you guys. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools