alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Making records!  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Making records!
« on: October 06, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »
There has been record breaking days of viewers these last few days.  I wonder if any butthurt is involved?  ;)  There always seems to be lots of guests viewing but not so many members.  Is this the same for most forums?  Most people happy to just read but not chat?  I've been pushing myself to be more chatty, and it's kinda tough, but I'm hoping to keep things going.  That's one positive thing about the FF - it was busy enough that if you just wanted to lurk things kept moving along.  But I'll take this forum over that one all day long - freedom and truth just has no equal.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Making records!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »
We have seen this in the past, and never think about it. Many of the "guests" are bots associated with adclick, but that said, maybe some more guys will get on board and join the conversations.

I would rather have a few great guys then a bunch of sheep to converse with.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »
I would rather have a few great guys then a bunch of sheep to converse with.
I couldn't agree with you more.

And thanks for clearing up what's happening with all the guests.  This day and age is weird to me sometimes...
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
I am not a computer geek, or even a novice, but as I understand it, when activity picks up, adsense has more bots scanning for content. So if you have say a dozen guys posting on any given day, you could have 400 "guests" reading (scanning) the posts, detecting key words, logging, etc,etc.

I moderate on the Contractor Talk Forum, the largest contractor based forum online, and this is typical: Currently Active Users: 9511 (112 members and 9399 guests)

And we have: Threads: 174,396, Posts: 2,658,675, Members: 126,571

Now, obviously, not all registered members are active. But the archives are very real. The forum is owned by a company that owns many, many forums, and is a hot property. You get this much activity and the ad revenue is impressive.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 05:13:11 PM »
Amazing numbers and it's interesting to get a glimpse of something I never knew about.  Thanks!  That's my one thing new to learn for today.  I'll probably never remember it down the road, but I love to learn new things.