alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Undercoating or rust preventative  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Undercoating or rust preventative
« on: October 06, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »
After 2 years using Fluid Film, bought in bulk 5 gallon pails and then spraying using a cheaper undercoating gun, I'm looking for alternatives because it's still pretty damn expensive.  Rust kills vehicles here in NY and the only way to help prolong them is to actively prep the whole undercarriage every year.  Fluid Film requires a minimum of once a year application, suggested twice a year.  In my search for an alternative I came across homemade Waxoil.  It's this basic formula:  1 gallon mineral spirits, 1 pound wax, 1 quart 30 weight non detergent oil.  Heat up the mineral spirits, shave the wax into it with a cheese grater, make sure all is melted and add the oil.  Apparently it can be sprayed on using a normal household spray bottle even.  And apparently it lasts for quite a while longer, maybe years, in the harsh environment of winter driving.  Similar stuff has been used on firearms and machinery and lasts many decades if not disturbed.  Plus it's cheaper, just maybe not as convenient.  I'll be trying it on a car that's never seen any of either undercoating and comes out of Florida so is very clean and only small spots of surface rust scattered about.  Pretty good for a 17 year old car, and when we brought it home it had less than 45,000 miles on it.  It's a Lexus ES300 which is just a glorified Toyota Camry with nicer rims and interior.  It will be my test vehicle.  My other test vehicle is a 1994 Cadillac Deville.  It gets the Fluid Film.
 And my old dump truck gets Fluid Film for now too, just to hopefully slow down its unfortunate cancer problem.  I've patched the frame on it 3 times now!  :o  I'm not hesitant to try this new stuff because many people use both coatings and are happy with either, I just want to try something different. 

Have any of you guys tried either of these?  Just curious.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Undercoating or rust preventative
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:28:31 PM »
I think Rhino Lining is offering an undercarriage shoot now. Probably pricey, but worth looking into, because it would last longer then the vehicle.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Undercoating or rust preventative
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:55:35 PM »
How would that be to get off to get access to bolts, nuts, etc. for replacement?  Is there stuff that'll dissolve it or can it be chipped off with a needle scaler or something like that?  It's a good option I think.  I don't have any experience putting it on, but have seen it in beat up farm trucks and it was still mostly there so that's saying something for it...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools