alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Cheat sheet  (Read 9183 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Cheat sheet
« on: October 06, 2017, 07:20:35 PM »
Made up a new one today, sun faded the old one. When I mill a log I take the first slab cut and usually one board, flip the log back onto wedges and slid back on the knees flat edge down. Slab and board until I get a square edge then flip it towards me. The next slab cut determines how many boards I get. Cheat sheet is on a clip board its the board width plus kerf and its cumulative, that hopefully lets me end up with a one inch board and no sliver cuts. I turn the log again and that slab cut determines the width of the board, flip once more and cut all the boards. On my saw the kerf is real handy to 5/16" Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Cheat sheet
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:58:22 PM »
Almost gives me a headache trying to follow it in my head.  I've never been good at seeing ahead in 3D.  Sawmilling is quite a chore for me to undertake trying to see ahead and get perfect results.  It rarely happens.  I'll see something backwards usually and swear and keep on keeping on cause nothing can change my stupid brain I was given.

How do you make your cheat sheet?  I mean out of what?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 05:08:58 AM »
Would the set works dial on the Chase basically be a cheat sheet?

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 06:33:32 PM »
Ox, cheat sheet can be anything you can write on. It just gives you a dimension so when you reach the last board its the dimension you want not thicker or thinner than you would like. Lee by set works dial do you mean the set works quadrant that has the pin and a number of holes for different thickness of boards. That quadrant and pins allows for the board thickness and saw kerf. In other words if the pin is in the 1" hole and you pull the handle to the stop pin you will get a 1" board allowance for kerf is figured in. I believe if you have a legible measuring gauge (I forget the proper name) it will do the same thing as it has marks wider than a board to allow for kerf. Myself I've  been too cheap to buy one, I screwed a aluminum yardstick over the faded gauge and use my cheat sheet. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »
I was wondering if you used a special paper, or used plastic or something more durable like that.  Or maybe a laminated (is that what clear plastic covered paper is called?) sheet of paper.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »
Back when I bought the super 40 with the at that time Accuset 1,  I never was shown how to use the pattern mode, it was told to me the down set function was the most commonly used,  well it only took a couple of logs to realize something at to give, always a dog board.  So I kinda made up a cheat sheet and worked from the bed rails up board thickness,kerf, ect...now I was using the digital screen not the scale so it was quite easy.  Just a few weeks ago while talking with member JB, I asked him how he used the scale stick,, if I understood him right, he said he did it the same way, bed rails up, board thickness plus kerf, and so on,  the tricky part for me was get use to the scale and not the digital, It would require the head to come all the way back on my mill to see the scale, you guys that saw with the scales and crunch numbers in your head are way ahead of me, but I reckon as JB said, you get use to it pretty quick.
I had to add, I did get a handle on the pattern mode, and liked it, and most often used it in conjunction with the auto up function, this reduces  heavy first cut slabs when sawing out 2" stock,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »
I initially started figuring in the kerf with my millions of numbers to get out perfect thickness boards.  My head hurt and my stupid brain would shut down.  Now I just count out the number of cranks and push her through.  A 1" board ends up around 7/8".  It's fine for me and what's being done around here.  If anybody wanted to buy a few pieces they will be told what they're getting and if they don't agree with it, well....sorry!  It's all I have.

If I was sawing for a business of course this would not be done this way.  It would be honest and true.  And I would have a sawmill that would allow me to saw honest and true using a setworks without destroying my sanity with all the numbers.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »
My Chase circular mill has gauge board with allowance for boards and kerf but the marks are worn and hard to read. I should refinish it, anyone here done it.?? My band mill uses an aluminum yardstick and pointer, boards come out 7/8" if I drop down 1". I've been cutting and selling lumber for almost 15 years and no one has complained. If someone wants full one inch no problem that's when I use the cheat sheet. Frank C.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 08:18:29 PM »
Hear that, for me was knowing the last board was near the same as the first? Numbers can be adjusted, for one fellow, he always wanted 7/8"

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:45:10 AM »
that's why man made a set works to do the math for ya :D i would love to give that fella a big hug cuz i don't look so stupid sawing anymore.
follow your heart, the rest will happen