alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: brrrrrr!  (Read 10573 times)

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
brrrrrr!
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
Sawmilling today in the low 40s and a very stiff wind out of the north.  Feels like winter almost!  At least the sawdust isn't blowing in my eyes.  Felt good to take a break and get out of the cold wind and have a cup of coffee and take a dose of medicine.  A couple hours of daylight left so I'll probably hit it again.  Got a little disappointed with a 16' red pine log that had a branch inclusion that left a black rotten hole clear down to the pith.  Had to chainsaw the log and ended up with a 8' and 6' log.  I hate when that happens but I also know all we can do is take what nature gives us and do our best with it.  There will be another nice log that will be  solid through and through. 

P.S.  Happiness is a new 4 degree Kasco blade.  8)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: brrrrrr!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »
I feel the cold more as I age also....and we have those days coming.

I heard today that a "la nina" weather pattern is setting up, meaning potential cold and wet, which means snow and wet for us.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
Re: Brrrrrr!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 04:25:49 AM »

Yep, you could feel a change in the air yesterday afternoon.  Wind is out of the northwest this morning and has a little bit of a bite to it this morning.  Not as cold as Ox... yet.

I won't complain about any rain.  We have been in a drought now for a couple months.  Creeks that people have never remembered being this low, now have grass growing in 'em.  What water you do see, are stagnant pools darkened by the leaves and unfit for livestock.  :(

Can't even tell we got 3/4" precipitation in 45 min. on Sunday evening.  Did help the pastures green up a tad though.
Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 06:12:47 AM »
Ox, its not going to get better mate, we got your cold front a couple of hours later. When a fella is milling in cold weather whats under your feet is important. Only thing worse than concrete or frozen ground is mud. If you mill portable throw sawdust underfoot. Stationary, sawdust or better a wood spring floor, that's a floor that has some give to it, try it you will feel frisky longer. Frank C.

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:26:29 AM »
Cutting Edge - that's not a good situation to be in.  We don't hear a thing about it on the news, of course.  It seems Appalachia don't count when there's suffering.

bandmiller2 - Those are good suggestions and easily overlooked.  Good post.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »
For me I am just glad the summer is over.  Yes I know I am in the minority of the normal population, but I am not, and reject the concept of normality.

I dislike hot weather and the drought was not good for the mature forest let alone the seedlings that get planted every year.  The mortality rate with the drought is much higher than I would like to see on those first years seedlings.
Fall is my wife's favorite time of year and I probably am in the same boat.  Just cool enough and the rains have started again.  Yes sawing in the rain is not that good but what is the difference between sawing in the rain and getting wet and sawing in the heat and being soak from your own sweat.  Wet is still wet.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 07:14:41 PM »
I have to say fall is my favorite as well, after a frost.  Bugs are down, weather is clear and usually not muggy, temps are down, usually not muddy and wind is usually blowing a bit.  Perfect for working outside.  It never seems to last long though.  I also reject the concept of normality.  One man's normal is another man's crazy.  It's all subjective.  I tend to be objective and usually see things for what they are.  In this case, best working weather.  City folks and office drones just don't get it!  Well, the most of them anyways...

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 06:21:14 PM »
Wind and cold are a bitter fact for sure,, It use to never bother me,, two knees, and a two back surgeries, and I'm pretty much down for the count.  Sun light helps for sure,  today was nice, but very windy as it's been for most of the fall season.  Seems like this year is a strange one, chickens are way off their laying quite a bit.  2 to 4 from 12 hens, not sure whats up, a long molt? feathers everywhere, and just spoiled acting, the way I see it.

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »
Do chickens sync up their molts after a while, like females in the same house sync up their monthlies after a while?

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 12:44:30 PM »
I don't know, seems more like a boycott than a molt now, they've been really off for quite sometime now.  Leghorns have not laid since I'm not sure, the Easter eggers, have not laid either, Pretty sure I will stick with the black one Austerlorps ,if that's how its spelled.  And we finally did get a little rain today, not much but better than nothing. just over a 1/4" I believe.  A bit cooler too,

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »
I remember back being a kid that the Rhode Island Reds always did better and for longer than the other breeds, at least in our climate here in south central upstate NY.  They still remain my favorite breed for looks, hardiness, character and eggs.  Have you ever tried them?

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
I always went for the sex-links you end up with all ladies and no alarm clocks. Tried arocanas  for a wile but its hard to sell green eggs. Frank C.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 08:35:56 PM »
Yes we did some road reds a few years back, they were ok, had them in with some buffs, matter of fact they were our first set when we got started. Back then we had the coop up by the garden, and had access to power, so keeping them warmer and with a light on the timer, they did seem to lay better, but when the shut off, it was over.  Now the birds are in the back without power, light or heat, and it really has not been that cold yet, so time will tell. As to the green eggs, yea, folks that's never had them kinda act like there weird, they eat good for us, when they are laid.  We got a nice gentle rain just about all day, more like a misty drizzle, but better than nothing at all.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 07:11:34 AM »
Spring is the natural time for hens to start laying spurred on by longer day light. Artificial light tricks them into thinking its spring. Back when I had hens I would let them rest through most of the winter with ample corn to keep them warm. Late winter I would put the lights on early and the laying pellets and the eggs would start to drop. When an egg is first laid the shell is soft, that why they don't break, but quickly harden. A friend, when he was a kid, would wait for a hen to lay then quickly form the egg into a square, his mother thought she was loosing it when she collected the eggs. Frank C.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 07:31:22 AM »
Frank, it never occurred to me about the resting, but just yesterday morning, Christy mentioned the very same, said she read it in a blog, and it makes sense to me.  They are getting a good diet, a little scratch with corn, egg crumbles and left over veggies  like lettuce .

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
Dave, the most dependable layers I've ever had were indian runner ducks those suckers would lay an egg a day without fail. I cut the wood for a neighbors hen house and I get my eggs for free when their laying. This henhouse is not typical, insulated with slate roof. Frank C.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
Well Frank, them there duck eggs, sounded like, or real close to then there green eggs to my wife,, she's a bit funny sometimes,,  we laughed when I shared the story of green eggs compared to duck eggs, . so, when I think of duck, I think of med. rare grilled duck breast, with onions and peppers, and the such,, sorry, did not mean to get off topic, but ducks are good for grilling,  and quacking :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 08:25:26 AM »
OK, -31 wind chill is cold enough! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
No Kidding, you guys have it a bit worse than we do, it's still 0 with a light north wind, and I as posted in another thread, forgetting about this one, I've now got two heat lamps running, the one I had in the pump house was still on, just not enough coverage , I'm pretty sure the pressure switch is froze, I put another on it, but with the temps forecast only to 9 or so, I'm questioning why I did not leave a trickle running last night,, ::) not the smartest move,

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
Faucet in the kitchen been running for days... >:(

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »
Well, I sure wish I had now, left water running that is Ox,  once I got it thawed all seemed good, went back out to double check, not so lucky, the ball valve that tee's off the main branch that went to the original trailer house line years ago, still part of the system, just my garden irrigation line now, busted along the side top to bottom, exposing the inerds, well it didn't leak right away but after a full thawing out, there you have it.. so, what to do, its bout zero, new years day, everything is closed, but wally world, I tried the gorilla epoxy, to no avail.  I filled up the tub, the water can, got bout everything done that needed doing for now, and now just settling in with a full belly.  Off to the lumber yard in the morning,,If all goes well, I will whack off the broken valve unscrew the threaded bushing re-nipple it with a cap, re-bush it and wait for spring to do the full fix.. burr,,cold and wet, but very sunny, a very nice sunny day,, it was,,

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »
If it was easy, everybody'd be doin' it.

That was a favorite saying for an old timer I knew.  And it rings true.  He'd say it every time something came up on the farm, in the woods, in the fields, etc.  We were doing things most folks never even thought of doing.  This is how he came to terms with all of it!

I think most on this forum are doing things most people never even thought of.  It's kind of a bragging right.  Puff your chest out and be proud!

It sounds like you did a good job with what you had.  Fill things up for now and don't worry about it till you can get to a store.  In situations like this, my toilet flushes better with a bucket than normally so that's always something to look forward to!

Sounds like your pump house needs a little something extra for next year, huh?  One never knows when it'll get cold like this again.  For us, this is just normal.  Usually not this early though.  It's damn cold for this time of year.