alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Long band life  (Read 10322 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Long band life
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:00:03 AM »
I run 1 1/2" bands on 19" tight belted wheels, I get long service and usually a dozen sharpening's before the band dives. When the band is ground down to 1 1/4" the problems start. Someone suggested the problem is my 1 1/2 guide rollers and a 1 1/4 band, thank you, I think that's the problem. Checked it and Shure enough the roller is extending one third of the way into the gullet. I have also noticed the inside teeth always seem to need more set. I'm a cheap old yankee but maybe I should be happy with a dozen grindings,  snap a solute, and retire the band to the scrap pile. Sometimes we are blind to the simplest problems. Frank C.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Re: Long band life
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:11:47 AM »

Maybe set your sharpener to make a shallower gullet, I did that as I've found a shallow gullet saws straighter. Steve

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:21:36 AM »
Thanks Steve I already have a shallow cam, will have to try that. Suppose I could buy a set of 1 1/4 guides and save my narrow bands until I get enough to run 1 1/4  for a wile. But even I may not be that cheap. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
I'd say a dozen sharpenings is doing darn good, at least from my house.  I usually get somewhere between 6 and 10 or so.  The idea of getting 1 1/4" roller guides is a different train of thought and might be worth it if you get enough blades saved up.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »
Thanks Steve I already have a shallow cam, will have to try that. Suppose I could buy a set of 1 1/4 guides and save my narrow bands until I get enough to run 1 1/4  for a wile. But even I may not be that cheap. Frank C.

If you did that you'd be almost as cheap as me.  Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
 :laugh:
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 06:47:06 AM »
I really can't imagine why a good flat 1 1/2" band could not be run on a 1 1/4 roller guide.  Have any of you fellas  ran 1 1/2" bands on the 1 1/4" guides with good results.??

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
No reason not too that I can see.  Only downfall I can see is you're past the hardened tip on the teeth but after half a dozen sharpenings that's true anyway, so let er rip!

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 05:01:38 AM »

I've had a few blades sharpened so many times the tooth tip was in the weld. Quite a ways past the hardened tip.  Steve

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 11:26:02 PM »
Just found this from Timber Wolf!
Lots of good info on blades
http://timberwolfbandmillblades.com/BandMillCatalog.pdf
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 06:44:24 AM »
Stevem, that is good info I have been using Timberwolf bands since I built my mill, used their charts for designing the mill. Band mill operators must stay alert as when theirs a problem theirs a reason for it that needs correcting. Many band millers are afraid to  make adjustments for fear of messing things up. Usually not a problem with folks that have built their own mill. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 07:46:28 AM »
That's a good point.  I know I ain't afraid to adjust anything because I put it there in the first place!  I just don't like doing things twice so I hope I never have to do an alignment again.  lol

As to others afraid of messing things up:  Geez - read the manual and follow the steps.  It can only improve.  You can't screw up a rotten egg, right?