alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Greedy Hypocrite  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Greedy Hypocrite
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:02:03 AM »
I'm betting this gets at least one set of eyes from another forum just from the title.  ::)

This is about the fact that NY has made motorized bicycles illegal.  I'm not sure exactly when, but when I looked up the laws this is what I found out.
 Both gas powered and electric powered.  The law says they will be considered as motorcycles/mopeds and you must have at least a motorcycle license and registration, inspection, and insurance to ride one.  This is from a state/governor who relentlessly prides himself on his progressive liberalism and always trying to be the first to do things when it comes to the strange ways of the liberal.  Not very green, is it?  You can get close to 100 MPG with the gas bikes and isn't electric supposed to be the green wave of the future?  This all stems from ONLY New York City where messengers were zipping around on electric powered bikes "causing a danger to people on foot".  So once again because of the rectum of a city named NYC the rest of us in the state have to suffer because of them down there.  God, I hate it here anymore.  I love the country but hate the state.  Gotta get out before I die and take my family with me so they can start their families in a freer state.

However, I found a loophole.  Nowhere does it say you can't have a powered bike trailer.  This will be my way around the laws.  If it isn't written as a law, it's legal!  There's a place called Atomic Zombie that sells plans to make your own recumbent bikes, trikes, cargo bikes and trikes, etc.  There's a powered single wheel trailer they named "The Bully" because it's always pushing you around.  What a novel idea.

The reason I'm looking is because hopefully in around 10 years we'll be living south of the Mason Dixon somewhere around water, will be buying a decent sized trawler style boat of around 40' to cruise and live on, and need transportation when on land for supplies and exploring and touring and such.  Regular bikes get stolen all the time and hurt me something fierce cause I'm a bigger guy (read 6'2" and around 280 lbs with more spare tire than I would like) and I have health problems that cause lots of pain and so a recumbent will be the answer (similar to kicking back in an easy chair which doesn't hurt me near as bad).  Plus my balance sucks and I don't want to fall off a bike when I'm older so a trike is the answer.  A trailer is needed to haul stuff so a powered trailer pushing a recumbent trike can be the answer to everything.  Only cons are size and weight which make it a challenge getting the thing off the boat and into a tender.  A jib pole/boom can be a simple answer and many of the trawler style cruising boats have one already mounted on the fly bridge.  The tender will be an old Boston Whaler console with a small outboard and around 16 foot or so.

Just wanted to share some hypocrisy from the "legend in his own mind" governor and law makers of my state and how I'm going to work around it.

Stay tuned as this will be a long and slow story.  Remember: 10 years!  Right now I'm sawmilling for a front porch build for next year.  I figured I might as well try to increase property values while we're festering here and paying off debt and such.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Greedy Hypocrite
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:42:42 AM »
Caution!  "If it isn't written as a law, it's legal! "

Research Dillons Rule.  New York is a Dillon's rule state, which means they only have the power written.  As you point out, if its not in the law, they dont have the power, but rest assured, the first time they realize they missed something and get Dillons Rule shoved down their throat, they will amend the law. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »
It's not that unusual a law.  Kansas has required a license to operate a motorized bicycle or moped for at least 25 years.  If you have a regular driver's license you need a motorcycle endorsement for a motorcycle but no endorsement for a moped.  You can get a moped operator's license at 14 years of age.  In some cases you can also get a moped license even if your license to operate a regular motor vehicle as been restricted or removed. Motorized vehicles can increase the complexity of interacting with other traffic and ascertaining sufficient skills to operate a certain type of motorized vehicle benefits the entire traffic community.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
I wonder if, because of my disabilities, if and when this ever got to a court to defend myself if I would be shown leniency.  You know, the whole "I'd like to ride a bike like a NORMAL person but I'm disabled and this little electric powered trailer to push my bike is my only option.  I wonder how the gov't of NY would like it if the media was contacted because of the way the state was treating a disabled person?  >:D

I think that having these super electric bikes that can go 60 mph is too much.  I think that if NY followed the federal law it would be fine.  No more that 20 mph.  That's just fine.  Many people, including myself once upon a time, can pedal a normal bike at or above 20 mph so the speed isn't the issue.  I'm not sure what the issue is, other than NY wanting more money through the DMV.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline customcutter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
You're absolutely right.  It's always about the money.  Exactly why I'm leaving Fl and headed to Al.  Here I have to have a permit to change my water heater, build a fence, etc, etc, etc.

The county we are buying in property in Al, no codes, restrictions, permits required with the exception of possibly power and septic.  Not sure, but they are already there.

Good luck,
Ken

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
We're heading to AL too, someday.  It'll take 10 years or so but we're heading there.  Probably in the mts in the north of the state.  I'm rather fond of my Appalachians and I want to stay in them, surrounded by my people.  FL sounds good for tax reasons but all the other nanny state crap ain't worth it to me.  Too many people there, too.  I guess I'd consider the panhandle but I'm not gunning for it...

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 11:03:13 AM »
My son is scouring the real estate market for a place in Xtreme north Fl or Ala.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 06:57:42 PM »
From what I've seen the prices are pretty good out in the sticks, but it's because nobody wants to drive all that distance to the nearest good sized towns for jobs.  At least this is what I think.

One problem I have with real estate anymore is that mineral rights are seldom included.  I'll be damned if I let somebody have what's under my property.  It's going to really narrow down what is available, that's for sure.  It doesn't bother many people, but I'm definitely not like "normal" folks.  Mainstream society sucks and I'll bet my left......toe........that everybody here is on the outskirts of society, just like me.  It's a good place to be.

Harold, if your boy finds out any interesting things concerning real estate around the deep southeast, please share will ya?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »
So far, since the military base in N Fl. is having a huge turnover of personnel, places he found around $35,000 or so last year, are now listing for $50,000 and up. Consensus is, no one wants to live on Base anymore.  That's what is pushing him into Alabama. He's looking for 10 acres or so with/ without housing.

Offline customcutter

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
We saw 250+ acres in north Al between Birmingham and Atlanta for like $140k a couple of weeks ago.  About 1/2 of it was clear cut for the pines and the other half was still hardwood bottoms.  We didn't check it out, because it was too far north from my wife's parents.  A lot of Alabama is No-Restrictions.  Meaning no permits, no codes, etc....  It varies by county

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »
Yep, too far north. Although, he has checked around Talladega in case he/we decide to do gold prospecting.  8)

He is looking for derelict property with trashed mobile home or house, so he gets septic and water.  I'm trying to convert him to solar panels and salvaged electric car batteries.  >:D He is trying to sell his "rich" client list of property management and remodeling. IF he gets enough from his overpaid house, to break even, and sells his business, he wants a tiny mortgage for tax breaks. That may be changing, though ? 

Trump has changed his BS campaign from make america great to feather the nests of the wealthy, while screwing the middle and lower classes. I would like to see politicians sign a CONTRACT of what they will do and go to jail if they don't try to follow through, called BREACH OF CONTRACT.  NO X politicians as hucksters for corps, wealthy, etc. THAT is called "selling your votes in committee, senate and congress if you accept money, favors, etc.

Sorry, I get carried away by these thieving politicos.  :-[

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »
With all the lies and deceit all around it sure is hard to see what is real and good.  I'm not much good at it because people who lie for a living are very, very good at it and I can't tell when they're lying or not.  PIsses me off.  It's one main reason I'm a hermit in life.  Screw it - I'm truthful to myself and my family and that's all that really matters.