alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Anyone know Jerry in Kentucky?  (Read 20254 times)

Offline jake

• Contributor
Anyone know Jerry in Kentucky?
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:06:37 AM »
Good morning ... anyone here heard of Jerry? I came across this guy on FB page for portable sawmills, he runs a sharpening service in Kentucky and sells various bands including Kasco and Ripper 37s. Seems like a lot of people on FB know him, his name is usually mentioned if someone's looking for resharp or a place to buy bands. Anyone have experience dealing with him? Spoke to him on the phone today, so that was a good sign that he actually picked up his phone. More than I can say about others in this business. I've been doing a lot of wide cuts 20-22" in hickory and hard maple, and have had good results with 4 deg bands, but I'm thinking of giving the ripper 7 deg bands a try. Anyone done that? How do they perform in wide cuts in hardwood? Thanks, Jake.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Anyone know Jerry in Kentucky?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:22:34 AM »
I'm hoping Cutting Edge sees this.  He'll be able to tell you more than I can.  I'm thinking I remember reading the Ripper 37 and similar blades need big horsepower to pull them properly.  Meaning more than 25hp, maybe more than 30.  I know this isn't much help but hopefully it'll get the right folks to look at this thread.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »
 7 39's  pull thru wide cuts all day long. it's become my the only blade i will use. all woods any condition. i run the wm4000 with 30 hp electric. use for 1 hr then it rests and set and sharpended.
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 08:00:14 PM »
I run 7/39's at work Baker Dominator 50hp 3ph. As of right now nuthin esle saws as good, BUT we have some Kasco 7/40's in the mail headed our way that might very well change that.

I have heard of that Jerry and those blades, best of my knowledge that blade stock is made by Daikin Flathers the same bunch Log Master was getting blades from. I'll bet money that ole Jerry is buying in blade stock and cutting and welding, and thats enough of a reason for me not to buy any from him.

We use to get blades from weld um up shop in mo. and I broke more blades than I care to remember on the first run IN THE WELD, if you ever, make that WHEN it broke it was ALWAYS in the weld. Im not talkin 5-6 blades im talkin 5-6 dozen, when we went to getting um from wm that stopped.

Thats why I don't buy from weld um up shops no mo
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »
Jake, most people on that fb page don't know their ass from a hole in the ground about sawing, its the worst about misinformation.
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
There's more than a little misinformation running around the Forestry Forum too.  Older posts written by older fools who are too proud to amend the information to today's knowledge.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline jake

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »
Jake, most people on that fb page don't know their ass from a hole in the ground about sawing, its the worst about misinformation.

hahahaha ... believe me JB I'm trying not to fit in over there. just looking for options and they have a lot of pics being posted.

I have a 30 hp kohler for the saw head. like Ox said, not sure if that's enough hp compared to ROL and JB to get similar results as they are with a 7 deg. 10 deg works just fine for most sawing of hardwood medium/small size and I can push the feed speed better with a 10. lately, I've been going after 20-22" slabs for book match sets and knew enough to have 4 deg bands. Had a few 4s sharpened by Cutting Edge and those have worked very nice compared to WM resharp  ::). just wondering if these ripper 37s are as special as everyone says they are, might be a case of curiosity killed the cat and I should just stick with what's working.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 06:40:41 AM »
jake,

As JB stated, Jerry's is a weld-m-up shop.  The Ripper blade stock is limited in options when it comes to width and thickness.  Nothing really special about it regarding profile either.  It has a 7 deg hook and profile similar to the WM 7's and Kasco 7's.  Never sawed with it since it wasn't available in the thickness I prefer.

Many of the welds by Jerry's were FAR from having the correct camber and several were cracked.  Each customer said they had some break and when they called, the cause of the weld breakage was blamed on the them, their mill, etc.  :( All to familiar of a story from alot of places anymore. 

Now regarding Jerry's Resharp...  I've followed behind his work a few times and it was far from even decent, shameful really.  :-\  Hook angles WAY off, profile all buggered up and the set... well, a hammer and anvil would probably have been more accurate.  Some blades were so bad, they were not even worth trying to fix. 

Just sharing what I have first hand knowledge of. 

Those customers now use Kasco Blades our sharpening services.   ;D

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline jake

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
 :o CE ... good to know, thank you. Learning all the time over here.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:37:09 AM »

Not all weld m up shops are bad, I bought my blades for years at a local one Rice Saw Shop  and at the most 2 blades broke in the weld in over 10 years.  I've watched them weld then anneal and then grind the weld which was interesting.  I had a little episode with my sharpener these last couple of days. On Wen I had a customer over and my sharpened blades were pushing back on the flanges way to soon before they were dull , I found a loose bolt on the sharpener allowing it to move a little as I sharpened resulting in a lower hook angle if any.  I tightened the sharpener head back up and set it to 4 or 5 degrees and the blades cut real good  again without pushing back on the flange.  Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 08:06:58 AM »
What part loosened up?  I'm guessing something to do with the clamp to hold the motor in place?

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »

It was the bolt the head pivots on.  Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 09:48:32 PM »
Thanks - guess I'll check mine next time.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 04:26:13 AM »
I used to buy my blades from a well know blade dealer here in NC till one batch (12 blades) he sent me about 8 broke in the weld. I've never had  one break in weld before. He told me to send them back. After a few weeks I didn't hear from him so I called to see what was going on. He seem to forget about them and I think they lost the blades. I called a few days later and he told me he sent them back to manufacture and they blame it on me. I know he lied because I call the rep and he didn't know anything about it. Anyways the blades where Kasco and he welded them at his shop. The rep personally came to my place and gave me new blades and it was not his fault. Kasco is a great company to use and Richard here (cutting edge) can help you with a good quality blade.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 06:28:44 AM »
There's more than a little misinformation running around the Forestry Forum too.  Older posts written by older fools who are too proud to amend the information to today's knowledge.

Man is that ever spot on!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 07:49:54 AM »
You bet!  I deal in the truth.  It's why I was booted.  I was supposed to get in line like a little sheep and be quiet but I wouldn't.

Offline Ldown734

• New Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »
Hi OX, I have bought blades From Jerry and I have had good luck with my blades I bought 10 blades 5- 7 degree and 5-10 degree I have been cutting white pine and spruce and some maple with great results Ox I was wondering where you went too

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 07:03:32 PM »
Hiya Ldown - if I remember right you're the fella out in Cortland who made a big old rugged homemade mill in his backyard and painted it red, right?
Next time you need blades, try the 4 degree Kasco blades through Richard at Cutting Edge.  They're the best cutting and longest lasting I've ever used.

It's nice to be able to give out information without fear of slaps across the peepee for not staying in line from that communist crew over at the Forestry Forum.  I still want to know what the liar Jeff pays his minions to rat people out and to read this forum to tell on people.  What a bunch of schmucks.  Think about it!  He or his crew actually spends their time to read over here to see if members are saying anything "bad" about them!  How funny is that shit?!? LOL!

What brings you over here?  Did you get banned for speaking the truth and not backing down?

Offline Ldown734

• New Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »
Ox yes I am the one from Cortland I keep reading about the 4 degree blades just don't have the money right now to try them. I fell down some stairs last March and broke some toes and messed up my knee. The toes are fixed but taking a long time to heal, I will be having knee replacement within the next month hopefully and get healed up before spring. The saw is cutting great forgot to treat the coolant tank and it froze up yesterday thawed out today and put the windshield washer fluid with a bottle of alcohol in it hope it works here is a pics of what has been going on. I am still on the ff I don't say or do much besides post pics it wont let me post any pics here harder than the ff

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »
I haven't done any pics here.  I think you have to put them in the "gallery" and link them to your post from there.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  I hope your knee surgery goes well.  I know after about the age of 35 or so we don't heal like we used to.  My old man just had a knee done and it's still messed up.  Of course he's over 70 and kinda fat and out of shape which don't help but he bitches about it hurting and not being able to put weight on it like a year later.  I hope yours goes better.

It's a good thing nothing burst in your lube tank and lines.  It got colder than a well diggers ass - down to 14 the other morning.  Just a preview of what's to come I'm sure.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »
I haven't done any pics here.  I think you have to put them in the "gallery" and link them to your post from there.

It is not much different than on the other place. 
Put them in the gallery (there is a maximum size allowed so you may have to shrink them)
then left click on the image to make it full size and not a thumbnail, then right click the full size image in the gallery and left click the "copy image location" and then paste that in-between the brackets that you get if you click on the insert image icon which for me is the second row furthest left on the options right above the emojis line.
""

The text that should end up after you do the paste should look like

http://sawmillandtimberforum.com/gallery/1/528_10_10_15_6_09_06_1.jpg  with the bracketed  "img"  in front and the bracketed "/img" after the text. 

If it looks like this then you will have the thumbnail picture

http://sawmillandtimberforum.com/gallery/1/thumb_528_10_10_15_6_09_06_1.jpg

If you right click the thumbnail it works but the picture inserted is the thumbnail not the full size

Kirk can correct me if I am wrong on any details.

Example

Thumbnail version
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:18:14 AM by furu »
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »
Here are some instructions  that were posted many years back.  The XAT program may not exist anymore but there are others to use, 
Size used to be 40kB but is now limited at 56kB I believe.

This is from Kirk
Sizing pictures we have found to be the easiest with XAT.com jpeg optimizer.
It’s a free download at http://www.XAT.com

Step by step sizing instructions.
1. Open XAT jpeg optimizer
2. Open the picture you want to resize
3. On the left hand side is a tool bar.  Select the Crop image tool and make a box around the image you want to crop, assuming you want it cropped at all. If not, skip this step.
4. Then select the transform image button which is just below the crop image icon.  A small screen will pop up and you can resize your picture with that.  450 as your width on horizontal pics works best and 450 on height for vertical pictures.  When you place 450 in the Width box and hit enter it will automatically adjust the height of the photo. 
5. Save you photo. When you do this another small box will appear titled Compress Immage. 
6. On the JPEG Quality, set the photo at 80. When you do that you will see the file size numbers above the picture change.  If 80 does not get you into the file size limits you can remove the check mark from the “Extra Color” box and change the Extra Compression to 10.  That should do it for 90% of the pictures you deal with.
7. Now that they are resized and ready for upload its time to go to the Gallery.

Gallery instructions
1. Select the Gallery tab on the menu
2. Then select “My Gallery”
3. Then on the left under Gallery Name select what ever you named your categorie, or gallery.
4. After step 3 you should see your gallery photos.  At the bottom of the page is a Bulk Upload option for you pictures. 
5. Select Bulk Upload
6. You can then select Browse and select the picture file you want to upload.  I believe, but may be wrong, the Title and Description is optional under the bulk upload option.

Getting the Photo into a post.
1. From the Gallery pic you want in a post select the picture. It should pop up as a larger image instead of a thumbnail size.
2. Right mouse click and select properties
3. Highlight the address for the pic, right mouse click and select copy.
4. While in you post, right mouse click and select paste. 
5. Highlight the address you just pasted, and select the Insert Image just above the smilies.  Its the icon next to the WWWHyperlink icon.  Once you do that it adds the appropriate code to the address that causes the image to appear in your post.

I know that all this may seem rather overwhelming as I know it was for me the first time several years ago but rest assured, do it a few times and it will become second nature. If you have any problems let me know and I will do my best to help out.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:13:31 PM by furu »
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »
Thanks for putting all that up, furu.  I tried searching for the thread but I couldn't find the damn thing!  I was going to link Ldown to it but I'm not that good at this stuff I guess...  :-X ::) ;D

Offline Ldown734

• New Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 06:12:13 AM »
Thanks but I still can't figure out how to post pics

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »
I tried some Ripper 37s that were sent to me to test from sawblade.com.  Their welds were beautiful and good camber as far as I could tell but I really didn't like the profile of the ripper 37s compared to a 7/39 or 7/40.  You just can't push those shallow gullet blades like you can a deep gullet one and maintain accuracy.  The real eye opener to me awhile back was a guy brought me a large hard maple log, real gnarly.  I tried many different profiles to try and cut it with various different feed rates and I almost gave up on the log until I put on a turbo 7.  That was the only blade that cut it good and I've been running them ever since.  Richard at Cutting Edge Saw Service really knows his stuff, I would recommend using him.  I've heard alot of talk about Jerrys Resharp but never tried him, they say why mess with formula.
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com