alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Food,  (Read 7232 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
Food,
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:23:58 PM »
Well we are a week away form the Christmas day gathering.  Lots happening, around here, school is winding down, and Christy is talking about more baking in the next few days,  I have to say today is not so bad, we  are having lasagna and some homemade bread, the kids are over, (grandkid) too  mr. Ollie, well he is trying his hand at the piano, he just may the next mystro?  all said good eating, family and laughs,, hard to beat really,, I will gather pictures soon,

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Food,
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:47:05 PM »
You are well ahead of me.  I am eating tuna sandwiches just in a pita.  Not real exciting on my end.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »
Furu, I hate to say it, but ever since I saw your first post somewhere else,  to this day all that comes to mind is fu-man-cho!
 I mean no disrespect, just saying , you know, and well the wife did it not me, and it was good, all done, but the sink now,, then back down to the basement for building more board games,, corn bag ones for one of Christy's friends' husband's Christmas present, 

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 01:44:40 AM »
Furu, I hate to say it, but ever since I saw your first post somewhere else,  to this day all that comes to mind is fu-man-cho!
 I mean no disrespect, just saying , you know, and well the wife did it not me, and it was good, all done, but the sink now,, then back down to the basement for building more board games,, corn bag ones for one of Christy's friends' husband's Christmas present, 

That is kind of funny. 
I came up with Furu quite some time back as it is a Norwegian word for pine or pine tree.  Since I have a tie to Norway and the forest  I decided to use a Norwegian word.

Translation Norwegian to English
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:01:31 AM by furu »
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »
Any such thing as Norwegian Grits? LOL
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 09:12:11 PM »
lol I love me some grits and I don't care where they come from!

Wife and daughter will be making a mess of Christmas cookies soon and I can't wait.  I'm fat enough and don't need any but by golly they're a weakness of mine and I pig out once a year.  I'll try to sweat them off next season (spring,summer, fall).  I don't do much outside in the winter if I can help it.  Shop work and busy work mostly if all goes well...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
O.K., so until I get a data base of photos, the only useful tool will be the imagination of the reader..  I'm making beef vegetable soup/stew, still working out the kinks in the approach,  and all the while my wife just baked a cake for the birthday party in a few days,  and is working on a cheese cake,,and I also have some venison back loins thawing out, and working on my approach for this,, so, yum! and yum!  and tummy tum tum!  Merry Christmas you all!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »
d - you rascal!  You just made my belly grumble!  I'm waiting on supper at the moment - hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls and baked, along with seasoned baked french fries.  Simple, easy and pretty good.  The dogs are those Gwaltney chicken dogs that taste more like a hot dog than most of the other regular ones and are surprisingly good for you.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 08:12:55 AM »
Speaking of food and Christmas , here is a fresh Christmas ham..

And by fresh, as in I cured and smoked it last week, not too long ago this little piggy was running around my woods! Yum!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »
A.O. that ham is looking right good,  you mentioned you cured and smoked it, well I've got a few questions on this, Christmas day me, the FIL and uncle Gary, (retired butcher) were talking about curing, smoking and the such, so how did you do yours? and what kind of cure? if you don't mind to share,, thanks,

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »
A.O. that ham is looking right good,  you mentioned you cured and smoked it, well I've got a few questions on this, Christmas day me, the FIL and uncle Gary, (retired butcher) were talking about curing, smoking and the such, so how did you do yours? and what kind of cure? if you don't mind to share,, thanks,

I wet cure it.... soak it in a mixture of 1 gallon water, 1 1/2 cups Kosher salt (may reduce that to 1 cup), 6 tsp Instacure #1, and 2 packed cups dark brown sugar. Mix till dissolved, soak about a week (depending on size of ham). Remove from liquid, rinse, pat dry, put it in the fridge UNCOVERED overnight. Hot smoke it around 250-275 degrees for 2 hours, then glaze with brownsugar/orange juice/garlic about 1-1 1/2 cup brown sugar and just enough orange juice to make a thick paste, garlic to taste... I like lots of it. Return to smoker till you get an internal temperature of 160.. then eat or cool and refrigerate for later..