alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Poll

So which do you think ?

Woodland Mills
0 (0%)
Woodmaxx
1 (25%)
Frontier
2 (50%)
Save my money and buy lumber..
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM

Author Topic: Baby mill reccomendations??  (Read 142950 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: Baby mill reccomendations??
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »
Yes that looks like you are getting ready!  And it is getting ever so close now!  I will say, I would have been more inclined to orient those timbers the other way,,,putting the height of your base at 5-1/2" up,  which would give you more strength for when you load up heavier logs, but it looks good just the same. If any issues arise in the form of sagging or the likes you can make the necessary adjustments as required.

I was just thinking a larger bearing surface for the pads of the saw to sit on. I can always stand them on edge.. Once I glue and screw the half laps together it wont make a difference. And I can always make a couple more pads to go underneath.

According to the instructions that come with the saw there are only the pads, no longitudinal runners. I was wanting something to tie them all together. Hence my alteration. Not sure I would ever get that large a log anyway.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
Chances are, once you get set up and running, you will want to tweak it to better fit you. I would almost bet you will eventually have it knee high or better.
I would think the mill is built, so that your timbers would be sufficient running across the mill instead of lengthwise.

I hope you have better luck with those treated timbers than I did with the last ones I bought, they wound up twisting so bad, I doubt I could cut a good 2x4 out of the 4x6's. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »
Oh I'm sure I'll tweak it, maybe move it, who knows...

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
Just saw a deal for you on craigslist.
A hudson oscar, 16 horse electric start, with another spare 16 horse engine, electric lift on the saw head and 60 brand new bands (blades) for the whole sum of 3,000 bucks.

Shoot man you need an Alaska vacation anyway, come grab that thing. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2018, 03:08:01 PM »
Just saw a deal for you on craigslist.
A hudson oscar, 16 horse electric start, with another spare 16 horse engine, electric lift on the saw head and 60 brand new bands (blades) for the whole sum of 3,000 bucks.

Shoot man you need an Alaska vacation anyway, come grab that thing. lol

Thanks, already spent my money! Would love an Alaska vacation!

EDIT: I should have said... Wood love an Alaskan vacation! ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:27:55 PM by A.O. »

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
Yea, I was just kidding, that is not a bad deal including the bands though, I bet it goes fairly quick.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »
Yea, I was just kidding, that is not a bad deal including the bands though, I bet it goes fairly quick.

Sounds like a great deal! Wish I could have found something like that reasonably close when I was looking.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2018, 04:02:22 PM »
After considering what starmac mentioned, you might be better off with them laid out wide ways, and then have another support beam that goes cross ways inline with the adjusting feet.  After I got to thinking about cleaning out from underneath you will want to be able to pull the debris out with little to no obstacles in the way.  And there will be debris, and raking and all that other fun stuff,,

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2018, 04:26:11 PM »
After considering what starmac mentioned, you might be better off with them laid out wide ways, and then have another support beam that goes cross ways inline with the adjusting feet.  After I got to thinking about cleaning out from underneath you will want to be able to pull the debris out with little to no obstacles in the way.  And there will be debris, and raking and all that other fun stuff,,

Seems like if I added the other crosspieces on top there would be more obstacles in the way of raking... RAKING??? Oh no, I ain't doing any raking!! Nobody said anything about raking when I started this adventure!!!! >:D >:D

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
Seems like if I added the other crosspieces on top there would be more obstacles in the way of raking... RAKING??? Oh no, I ain't doing any raking!! Nobody said anything about raking when I started this adventure!!!! >:D >:D

Better be thinking about putting wheels under it. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »
Better be thinking about putting wheels under it. lol

Down the road maybe...

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2018, 08:01:30 AM »
I know for a fact there was a few times that I did hook up and pull mine out!  That's one of the few reasons I mentioned the bark slipping off the pine.. you will have to rake out below the mill deck, and honestly doing it every day at the end of the day is the best way to handle it.  My last job was 20,000 bdft SYP job, just before my most recent back surgery, at the very end I did pull the mill out, and box bladed the mess. Had most of of the bark not slipped in the yard before decking the logs, it would have been much worse. You see, the pine bark will spoon together mixed with a little saw dust, then factor in some moist even rainy days, and before you know it, it becomes an animal, alive, growing by leaps and bounds daily, until it attacks, the fight is a fierce one, but with perseverance, you can prevail.  Wow, I just relived one of the many battles,  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yea, you will want to clean daily, 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »
So what do you guys think. I'm sure you have all set up saws before. Doubled 2x10's for pads, 4x6 timbers on top. Its square and level in all directions.
All I have left is to screw it together (pads at already screwed together from top and bottom) and once I have it screwed together I'll drill holes through each junction and drive a 2 foot piece of rebar through the joints and into the ground to keep it from shifting.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
I am not sure the best way to handle it, I have a woodmizer, so it doesn't have to actually be level, just mainly supported.  I would think you will need to keep it where you will be able to shim it, as it will constantly settle in one place or other for a while, with use.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2018, 02:35:38 PM »
The mill I bought has adjustable feet/pads on the tracks to level them up. When I am sure on placement I'll probably pour a pad for it.

http://www.woodmaxx.com/SM_26_Portable_Saw_Mill_p/sm-26.htm

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2018, 03:03:05 PM »
Well duh, that makes sense. lol

I would think you will want the adjustable pads to sit right above, or at least very close to the supports under your runners.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »
Well duh, that makes sense. lol

I would think you will want the adjustable pads to sit right above, or at least very close to the supports under your runners.

Yeah, and if I have to I can always add more cross ties.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2018, 06:10:56 PM »
You have a good start right now, much better prepared than I was for sure, in fact I still have not got a good permanent spot to set up, and to have as much good useable room as you have there is pretty much not going to happen.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »
You have a good start right now, much better prepared than I was for sure, in fact I still have not got a good permanent spot to set up, and to have as much good useable room as you have there is pretty much not going to happen.

Oh, I'd guess this isn't the "permanent" placement for it...
But its a start...

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2018, 08:48:01 PM »
Looks like a good start through my eyes.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2018, 01:46:40 AM »
You have a real good start on what you want. 
Will you modify it or change it, probably, but nothing survives as we think it will. 
It is an iterative process of constant improvement.

I would guess that you are way ahead of the average mill purchaser in planning and preparing for the big day. 
Congratulations on great prior planning.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2018, 06:29:11 AM »
You have a real good start on what you want. 
Will you modify it or change it, probably, but nothing survives as we think it will. 
It is an iterative process of constant improvement.

I would guess that you are way ahead of the average mill purchaser in planning and preparing for the big day. 
Congratulations on great prior planning.

Thanks, I just want it to be an adventure, not a project if that makes sense..  And I have some time on my hands to get ready...

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »
Personally, I think you are having way too much fun, seeing as you have not even got your mill in your possession yet. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
Personally, I think you are having way too much fun, seeing as you have not even got your mill in your possession yet. lol

Killing time man, killing time!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
Talked to Woodmaxx, they say they assemble these one at a time to order, looks like 1st week of march arrival time.

So.... starting to stock up ;-)