alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Poll

So which do you think ?

Woodland Mills
0 (0%)
Woodmaxx
1 (25%)
Frontier
2 (50%)
Save my money and buy lumber..
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM

Author Topic: Baby mill reccomendations??  (Read 150097 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Baby mill reccomendations??
« Reply #275 on: March 14, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »
You're doing good there.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #276 on: March 14, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
8) man  8)!  looks great,,

ps, would you mind showing a close up pic of the up and down dial,? just curious as to what that looks like,

Here you go...

ALSO: if you guys could explain this scale for me. I had always thought that 4/4 was 4 quarters of an inch whereas 4/4 would be = 1 inch. But looking at this scale such is not the case. So far I've only been using the "inch" scale on the far right.

AND.. as log as we , or I, am discussing this... how to you account for the kerf? If I keep going down by say 1 1/2 inches.. with the kerf its a little more yes? or does this scale take that into consideration?

Thanks.

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: March 14, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »
The quarter scale allows for kerf.  So 4/4 will give you a true 1'' board.

Nice mill and very nice setup by the way!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #278 on: March 14, 2018, 12:02:42 PM »
The quarter scale allows for kerf.  So 4/4 will give you a true 1'' board.

Nice mill and very nice setup by the way!

Thanks.. and WELCOME!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #279 on: March 14, 2018, 06:20:44 PM »
And the beat goes on....

Made a drying platform ..

And a future raised bed garden..

And might just have to take tomorrow of to chase after one of my other pursuits

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #280 on: March 14, 2018, 07:02:49 PM »
Dang, I can smell the bacon now.

It looks like the place I will be working this summer now is actually on a place a friend of mine owns, and the moose hunting is some of the best in the state there, not to mention the job is suppose to last right through moose season. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #281 on: March 14, 2018, 07:20:29 PM »
Dang, I can smell the bacon now.

It looks like the place I will be working this summer now is actually on a place a friend of mine owns, and the moose hunting is some of the best in the state there, not to mention the job is suppose to last right through moose season. lol

Oh, very nice!  Must be fun to pack one of those guys out of the woods!!

I cheat.. I go out with the tractor and loader...

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #282 on: March 14, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »
At this stage in the game, I would be very picky about any shot I take, there will be no packing. lol

I have passed up more than a few shots on New Mexico elk and mule deer because of where they were and the difficulty of packing them out.
A friend was just fixing to pull the trigger on a bull once, when I informed him if he was dumb enough to shoot, he could be dumb enough to get it out by himself too.
He decided he wasn't that dumb after all. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #283 on: March 15, 2018, 07:20:09 AM »
At this stage in the game, I would be very picky about any shot I take, there will be no packing. lol

I have passed up more than a few shots on New Mexico elk and mule deer because of where they were and the difficulty of packing them out.
A friend was just fixing to pull the trigger on a bull once, when I informed him if he was dumb enough to shoot, he could be dumb enough to get it out by himself too.
He decided he wasn't that dumb after all. lol

HAHA!!  You sound a very lot like me. I'm to old anymore to do much packing, or tracking for that matter. I don't even remember the last time I did not shoot an animal in the head or upper neck. I like them to fall where I want them anymore!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2018, 08:28:22 AM »
I guess I was early to that party.  My first deer at 7 years of age was a neck shot and I have been doing that since for 56 years. 
I do not like animals moving after I fire the shot and I really do not like them moving to more obscure locations that I have to get them out of to get them home.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #285 on: March 15, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »
I guess I was early to that party.  My first deer at 7 years of age was a neck shot and I have been doing that since for 56 years. 
I do not like animals moving after I fire the shot and I really do not like them moving to more obscure locations that I have to get them out of to get them home.

Yep. I started hunting later in life, early 30's , so I just went on what people were telling me was the right way to do it. A chest shot is fine if the person shooting has a problem with accuracy its a big target.. but then the hunt is really on sometimes.
Head usually and sometimes neck for me for the last 20 years or so.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
I tell you what a guy told me up here before I ever even made the move up here. I had just come up with a load of freight and he had just moved back, and gun talk came up. He had sold his rifle when he moved out, and had just bought another 375 win mag, I ask why so big, moose are thin skinned, and really not as hard to kill as an elk .
His answer was that when you shoot a moose and he runs 100 yards or even 10 yards into a swamp, you just added a day of hard work to your hunt. lol
Well much of Alaska is swamp, so it was sure food for swamp. lol
Under the best of circumstances , a grown moose is at least  trips for any man, more for most. Myself, I would have to eat it where it fell. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2018, 03:23:09 PM »
Just stick it on a spit right there and enjoy huh? lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #288 on: March 15, 2018, 03:36:24 PM »
First weeks worth of sawdust!  Is this stuff saleable, or just future compost?

And when the HELL were you guys going to tell me how much work it is???   lol...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:09:05 PM by A.O. »

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #289 on: March 15, 2018, 04:56:03 PM »
Some wood fiber plants will buy your waste wood - slabs, sawdust, shavings etc but you probably need a minimum amount, not sure.  You'd have to find a local depot.

Stables, dog kennels, animal shelters etc, may also buy sawdust.  I know of one guy who mixes it with melted wax, presses it, and sells it for firestarter cubes and bricks.

Or at home it's good for spill absorbing, garden, compost, walking trails.  Really good for soil erosion - if you have any skid trails where you stripped the vegetation off, backfilling with sawdust slows down runoff and keeps the mud away. 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #290 on: March 15, 2018, 05:12:20 PM »
It will most likely just go into my compost pile.. And we don't have mud.. its almost all sand here..

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #291 on: March 15, 2018, 05:25:33 PM »
Must be nice  8)  My property is heavy clay with a layer of black top soil, and we get lots of rain - work a section of ground too hard and it's grease city.  I know where my sawdust will be going

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #292 on: March 15, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »
I'm in kinda north central South Carolina.. I had no clue we were moving to the beach when we moved here...  :o

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #293 on: March 15, 2018, 05:39:37 PM »
Not at all.  Protect your equipment and it will last.  I would have used green as the blue does not do it for me however.

Congratulations on your first slab removals

You will be happy to know I changed it to a GREEN tarp...

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #294 on: March 15, 2018, 06:21:11 PM »
What I have seen guys do is lay a tarp out before sawing and then just pull the tarp to where you want to pile your sawdust after a long day of sawing, I have tried it my self, it does save some time.

I was told not to use sawdust in the garden, until it had dried out real good, but if you are composting it should be fine. I know the sawmill here actually sells some to the city sewage department, who inturn makes compost and sells it.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #295 on: March 15, 2018, 06:58:01 PM »
Good idea on the sawdust catcher I may give that a try tomorrow... But I am NOT going to mix it with sewage!! ;-)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #296 on: March 15, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »
I don't blame you, BUT when I heard about it, I didn't really believe it, si I looked it up on the internet, and found it is a pretty common practice and the fertilizer is considered some of the best.

I used to live in LaPorte Texas, and  they averaged arresting 50 people a month breaking in to the sewage plant. I thought this was absurd and the paper had to have made some kind of mistake. I confirmed it and the reason was people flushing marijuana seeds.

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #297 on: March 15, 2018, 07:45:26 PM »
How do you find that sawhead crank being up high like that?

When I looked at these mills that was the one thing I wondered about, but I imagine you'd get used to it.

Definitely looks like they're a well made mill

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #298 on: March 15, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »
Its a little too high for my liking, had both my shoulders redone and overhead stuff isn't the greatest. Its only a problem when i have to crank it a bunch, like at the start of a new log, but I've learned to just stand up on the track and its not too bad.
The mill is stoutly built..  this one weigh in at 1165.. crated up.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #299 on: March 15, 2018, 11:57:00 PM »
One more thing, your compost piles will likely get a lot bigger than you are thinking. lol
That sawdust adds up a lot quicker than a guy thinks it would.