alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Poll

So which do you think ?

Woodland Mills
0 (0%)
Woodmaxx
1 (25%)
Frontier
2 (50%)
Save my money and buy lumber..
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM

Author Topic: Baby mill reccomendations??  (Read 148731 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: Baby mill reccomendations??
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 01:55:49 PM »

Sorry, didn't realize what your max budget was.

And that's a funny thing!!  When I started researching the idea of getting a small sawmill my budget was at $1500. I hadn't at the time had any clue as to what I wanted or needed or what was out there. I had seen one in the Harbor Freight catalog for $2100 and thought there might be a used one out there in that $1500 range... WRONG!!
I started doing my research, joined a couple forums, talked to you and others and my bottom line budget started creeping up! All the things (I) needed and had to have.. an more up up up..
So now pretty much my absolute max is about $3500.... this week anyway... ;D :( :o ::) 8) :-\

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »
I eye balled that Frontier the past few hours, and it for sure looks hands down built better than the others.  Waiting for a bigger pot to dish out of might be the wise decision.  Finding yourself wishing and wondering after the fact would kinda stink. 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »
I eye balled that Frontier the past few hours, and it for sure looks hands down built better than the others.  Waiting for a bigger pot to dish out of might be the wise decision.  Finding yourself wishing and wondering after the fact would kinda stink.

And just what about it looks so much better than the others?

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
The way the carriage frame was double supported, and I liked the bigger hand crank wheel for the up and down.  The frames of the ones you are looking at do look like the same to me.  The blade guide rollers are a definite plus as well.   I still stand by my stance on the 16' capacity which ever make it comes in.  I can say with all confidence, I'm glad its you buying and not me! ;)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 04:23:58 PM »
The way the carriage frame was double supported, and I liked the bigger hand crank wheel for the up and down.  The frames of the ones you are looking at do look like the same to me.  The blade guide rollers are a definite plus as well.   I still stand by my stance on the 16' capacity which ever make it comes in.  I can say with all confidence, I'm glad its you buying and not me! ;)

Not sure what you mean by the carriage being double supported , all three have the 4 post carriage. I like the big crank but not sure I like it so high. And the longer platform will happen, maybe not on day one , but it WILL happen. If I ever go to cutting rafters I'll need the longer bed.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2018, 01:03:12 PM »
So I'm trying to sell some Knotty pine siding I took out of my house during a remodel, about 800 sq ft of it If I get it sold (2 people coming today to look) I'm going to use the
$$ to subsidize my mill purchase.

Most likely will get the Woodmaxx 26.. It has the longer bed, 14 HP Kohler command motor, auto lube, and some other stuff I like, Doesnt have everything, but nothing does. Fingers crossed one of these guys buys the wood!

http://www.woodmaxx.com/SM_26_Portable_Saw_Mill_p/sm-26.htm

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »
AO have you looked at the thomas mills, not sure how they compare, but have always heard nothing but good as far as built heavy duty and in the USA, both of which are nice.

http://www.thomasbandsawmills.com/Products/Bandsaw%20Mills/Thomas2411.html

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
Looks pretty nice, but its a smaller motor and almost $1000 higher in price.. and options are higher as well.

Offline RiverForest

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2018, 01:49:43 AM »
Quick 2 cents, and Cutting Edge will know the answer: can the sandwich guides be pretty easily replaced with Cooks roller guides, if that is a problem on the mill you buy?
Learning/listening mode works best coupled with a thick skin.  Share what you do know and what you learn when you can

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2018, 05:56:03 AM »
Yes they can, not sure if its a problem. Every band saw I've ever had has had the "sandwich" guides. Not as good as the rollers I suppose, but not sure I'd call it a problem.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2018, 06:02:10 AM »
My 2 cents...

Yes, Cooks Guides can be fitted to replace the sandwich guides.  In the case of these Chinese machines, retrofitting WM parts actually makes it a bit easier.  The WM receivers aren't quite as bulky (ie: more refined than Cooks).

Is it a problem to do so ??  Depends on person doing it.  Takes some planning and layout before the first cut is made.  Due to the tight area, it could almost be considered doing surgery, especially on the drive side.  Same goes once the welding starts.

Is it worth going through all the trouble... IMO, YES !!  Lumber quality improves dramatically along with blade life. 

All up to the end purchaser.  Buy a mill with all the work done and ready to go or spend the time/money later.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
So with the long bed, extra blades, and delivery. the 3 saws below end up within a little over $100 difference in price.
https://www.frontiersawmills.com/us/products/frontier-sawmills/os27-sawmill
https://woodlandmills.ca/us/product/hm126/
http://www.woodmaxx.com/SM_26_Portable_Saw_Mill_p/sm-26.htm

They all appear to be made in the same factory over in China somewhere. The beds/rails are virtually identical with a little variation in length, within a foot or so. All have 4 post carriages that also look very similar.

The frontier OS27 has the infamous roller guides for the blade, yes I like those but not real sure how important it is. As per them their crank system is self locking which is also nice. It has a 13HP BRIGGS engine which in my opinion is inferior to the Kohler engines on the other two. They CLAIM to build theirs with more materials for a heavier sawmill... NOWHERE on any of their literature do they give weight specs.

I'm thinking the Woodland mills unit is starting to lose ground, it has a Kohler engine but only 9.5 HP. It has the cam lock dogs which I really like the idea of although I've never used one so I have no hands on experience with then. (I can get them as an option with the frontier but not the woodmaxx) It doesn't seem to have any other standout features over the other two.

I really like the Woodmaxx and it falls between the other two in price. It has a 14HP Kohler engine so in my opinion its got the best drive of the three. It and the woodland unit are right at 800 pounds so it seems beefy. It and the frontier both have emergency kill switches for what ever that's worth. The woodmaxx also as the auto lube feature, hit the gas and the lube starts up, I can get that on the frontier also for a $99 charge. I like the control handle the best on this saw also. It also has adjustable blade guide so if I'm cutting something narrow I can move it in.

So all 3 saws are reasonably close in price and equipment. I will say I've been in contact with all three companys, the Woodland mills and the Woodmaxx responded almost instantly. I emailed Frontier (Norwood) 9 am ish this morning but still have gotten NO response which concerns me a bit.

So there you have it, the three I've narrowed it down to... almost ready to order.. if I can make my mind up! :o

EDITED TO ADD: The Woodland Mills and the Woodmaxx both have a nut on their blade tightening handle which allows you to use a torque wrench to adjust the blade the same all the time.. I like that too! Cannot find out how the frontier adjusts.
The Frontier is a bit lax on info on the saw. Wish I could download a manual for it to get some better insight on it!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2018, 05:37:56 PM »
Boy you are getting close. 
Once you order then it is the anticipation of the arrival of the mill.
The excitement is building.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2018, 05:56:12 PM »
I would assume that the nut on the band tension is on some sort of hydraulic cylinder, it seems like a torque wrench would be unwieldly to use. I would think installing a gauge and using the shortest ratchet a guy could get would be the berries. Mo old woodmizer doesn't have a gauge (I really should take the time to install one) but instead has a spring, you can eyeball it to get it the same or close to it.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »
Boy you are getting close. 
Once you order then it is the anticipation of the arrival of the mill.
The excitement is building.

Indeed...

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2018, 06:52:47 PM »
I would assume that the nut on the band tension is on some sort of hydraulic cylinder, it seems like a torque wrench would be unwieldly to use. I would think installing a gauge and using the shortest ratchet a guy could get would be the berries. Mo old woodmizer doesn't have a gauge (I really should take the time to install one) but instead has a spring, you can eyeball it to get it the same or close to it.

The nut is on the big T-handle sticking out the side... super easy to get to and use, and exactly repeatable every time.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »
I can see the repeatable thing. I still think a gauge is better, that way you know if a band is heating or something is causing the pressure to drop, but like I said I have not put one on my old mill yet either. lol I guess if it was a problem I would have.  The factory handle on mine is only maybe 3 inches long, and it doesn't require much effort. I am sure their setup is different, and mine is old technology compared to the newer mizers.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2018, 08:34:33 PM »
I agree with the band tension gauge.  It's what I watched more more than bout anything else.  Wide cuts, and harder and dried out logs will for sure heat up a blade.  I never could figure folks sawing without and lube at all,,I suppose folks have, I know on my resaw, it had no lube, and the big spring tensionor, and flat guides to boot.  It would crank out the cut stock, but only up to 6" wide.  I did like the movable blade guide on the wood max, not sure if the others have it or not, photos did not look like they did, but not sure.  All I know is if you are happy then that's what matters, there will be plenty of learning curves along the way, with dust and slabs to move, and lumber to stack. Oh, AO, I meant to tell you, you are bout 15 miles north of my brother,  so when I  get out that way, I'll be looking for you,

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2018, 07:21:26 AM »
I agree with the band tension gauge.  It's what I watched more more than bout anything else.  Wide cuts, and harder and dried out logs will for sure heat up a blade.  I never could figure folks sawing without and lube at all,,I suppose folks have, I know on my resaw, it had no lube, and the big spring tensionor, and flat guides to boot.  It would crank out the cut stock, but only up to 6" wide.  I did like the movable blade guide on the wood max, not sure if the others have it or not, photos did not look like they did, but not sure.  All I know is if you are happy then that's what matters, there will be plenty of learning curves along the way, with dust and slabs to move, and lumber to stack. Oh, AO, I meant to tell you, you are bout 15 miles north of my brother,  so when I  get out that way, I'll be looking for you,

One thing I noticed in all my sawing experience (about 6 hours total ;-) ) is we would either forget to turn the lube on, and/or forget to turn it off. So the blade was either dry and collecting pitch, or while we were standing talking we would notice it dripping. Which is why I REALLY like the autolube feature, just one more thing I don't have to think about while sawing.
The Woodmaxx is the only one that has the moveable blade guide.

I re-emailed Frontier this morning to see if I get any response, if not, they are off the list.... If somewhere down the road I need parts or something else, I dont want to have to "hope" I can get a response!!

Heck yeah, If you are close give me a holler!

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »

The Woodmaxx is the only one that has the moveable blade guide.

Does little to no good since the guides provide no support to blade.

I re-emailed Frontier this morning to see if I get any response, if not, they are off the list.... If somewhere down the road I need parts or something else, I dont want to have to "hope" I can get a response!!

Try calling them. The way email is any more, so much gets flagged for "spam" and doesn't get seen.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »
Does little to no good since the guides provide no support to blade.

Try calling them. The way email is any more, so much gets flagged for "spam" and doesn't get seen.

Well it still gives less room for the blade to flex if the distance between guides is shorter. Same as with a regular band saw.

And I do like the Frontier's roller guides, but I'm not going to make my decision based on one attribute alone, gotta look at the whole package.

They did respond this morning..

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »
AND... they are heading down the home stretch, Seems like the Woodland mills unit is starting to lag behind, maybe the 9.5 just isn't enough....and around the final turn, Frontier is really putting the blocks to it, but the Woodmaxx still has the edge I think...still screaming and Frontier and Woodmaxx are neck and neck heading around the curve, and Woodland looks like it has 3rd place all wrapped up!!

Stay tuned folks.. the race is almost over.. bout to pull the trigger!! ;D ;D >:D

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
And the Woodmaxx wins by a nose!!

After weighing ALL the different options on ALL the machines in my price range The Woodmaxx26 seems to fit MY bill.

Right now I'm debating going nuts and adding the Electric start, a $250 option... talk about getting old and lazy! When I figure that out I'll be placing my order.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2018, 11:25:38 AM »
If you can get electric start for just 250 more, I wouldn't even consider that an option.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
If you can get electric start for just 250 more, I wouldn't even consider that an option.

Yeah?? you think that's worth the price?