alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Poll

So which do you think ?

Woodland Mills
0 (0%)
Woodmaxx
1 (25%)
Frontier
2 (50%)
Save my money and buy lumber..
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM

Author Topic: Baby mill reccomendations??  (Read 142813 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
Re: Baby mill reccomendations??
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:45 PM »
I do not think I want one of those, at least for the spruce I cut. I tend to think I can do what I need to do with a draw knife by the time I got a saw started.
A friend of mine is a custom log house builder and has 3 of those similar to what you posted. I finally remembered to ask him what he used them for and his answer was NOTHING. It turns out they didn't work well for what he had in mind. lol

There is a different style that goes on a four in" grinder, that I would like to try, but it would be on a cordless grinder.
One other thing that I do use constantly is a cordless blower, after my wife bought me one I will never be without one again, no good for bark removal, but beats the heck out of scraping or brushing sawdust off of both the boards and the mill.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:56 PM »
furu

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »
I do not think I want one of those, at least for the spruce I cut. I tend to think I can do what I need to do with a draw knife by the time I got a saw started.
A friend of mine is a custom log house builder and has 3 of those similar to what you posted. I finally remembered to ask him what he used them for and his answer was NOTHING. It turns out they didn't work well for what he had in mind. lol

There is a different style that goes on a four in" grinder, that I would like to try, but it would be on a cordless grinder.
One other thing that I do use constantly is a cordless blower, after my wife bought me one I will never be without one again, no good for bark removal, but beats the heck out of scraping or brushing sawdust off of both the boards and the mill.

Yeah, I have a gas "wheelbarrow" style air compressor that works great for that kind of thing.

Thanks for the heads up on that debarker thingamajig.. ask your buddy if he wants to sell one on the cheap.. >:D

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2018, 09:20:05 PM »
A.O, with your soil type down there,  and the fact that you have the grapple attachment, I would hold off on the debarker.  Having a forwarding trailer would benefit  your better, just fall the timber, buck it to length, load them up and haul to the mill deck or log pile.. Having some sawn now, you could get lucky and have the bark to start slipping,, and while its fresh on my mind, you might try and remember when bucking your logs to length, 8', 10' ect, make sure to saw them over length, 6"'s is a good number, and try to keep all your logs the same length respectively.. It makes stacking and stripping so much easier, and produces much better lumber once dried,  you will be surprised how little variations in stacking effect the out come of lumber once dried.  Now back to the soil.. sand in the bark is as bad as anything else, except its harder to see at times.  Its' very abrasive on saw teeth.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2018, 09:31:04 PM »
Ao, I have a service truck with a large air compressor on it I would park close to my mill and use it. My wife noticed it and also noticed a repairman on the equipment at her job using a cordless blower on ac compressors. She talked to him and decided I needed one, way handier than an air compressor and is always ready to go, it is THE one tool I will not be without at the mill now.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2018, 07:14:35 AM »
A.O, with your soil type down there,  and the fact that you have the grapple attachment, I would hold off on the debarker.  Having a forwarding trailer would benefit  your better, just fall the timber, buck it to length, load them up and haul to the mill deck or log pile.. Having some sawn now, you could get lucky and have the bark to start slipping,, and while its fresh on my mind, you might try and remember when bucking your logs to length, 8', 10' ect, make sure to saw them over length, 6"'s is a good number, and try to keep all your logs the same length respectively.. It makes stacking and stripping so much easier, and produces much better lumber once dried,  you will be surprised how little variations in stacking effect the out come of lumber once dried.  Now back to the soil.. sand in the bark is as bad as anything else, except its harder to see at times.  Its' very abrasive on saw teeth.

The trailer thing, "forwarding trailer" as you call it has been part of the plan all along. I've a 20 dovetail flatbed with a 12,500# winch on the tongue if needed. I have a road all the way around my property. I can fell the trees, buck them to length, load them on the trailer, haul them to my "saw yard" and unload them and stack them there.. all with the grapple.. not much dragging at all.
I have a couple smaller trees right next to the "saw yard" (I like the sound of that) bout 6-8" diameter. I'm planning on dropping them and moving them to that yard, bucking to 20 feet or so, positioning them parallel to each other just a bit wider than my tractor tires so I can drive between them and use it for "log storage",

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2018, 07:20:12 AM »
Yea, I thought I remembered you mentioning that, and even better yet, if you get some down and stacked, the bark will begin to slip off, making a lot lest of a mess around the mill when sawing begins. Just remember, once that bark slips the logs will get slippery too!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
Ao, I have a service truck with a large air compressor on it I would park close to my mill and use it. My wife noticed it and also noticed a repairman on the equipment at her job using a cordless blower on ac compressors. She talked to him and decided I needed one, way handier than an air compressor and is always ready to go, it is THE one tool I will not be without at the mill now.

I've got a leaf blower, but its corded.. but it could be an option, I'll be about 75 feet from my barn.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2018, 07:23:05 AM »
Yea, I thought I remembered you mentioning that, and even better yet, if you get some down and stacked, the bark will begin to slip off, making a lot lest of a mess around the mill when sawing begins. Just remember, once that bark slips the logs will get slippery too!

So how long does it take on pine for that bark to slip?

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »
If you cut pine and let it sit long enough for the bark to slip down there, will bugs not get in it??
I know if we let our spruce sit past spring it will get  worm holes in it.

What are you going to do with your lumber, I do know pine gets what they call blue stain if left uncut for a while.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2018, 12:11:10 PM »
If you cut pine and let it sit long enough for the bark to slip down there, will bugs not get in it??
I know if we let our spruce sit past spring it will get  worm holes in it.

What are you going to do with your lumber, I do know pine gets what they call blue stain if left uncut for a while.

Mainly construction lumber, outbuildings, decks ,shooting benches, docks (if I can figure out some sort of water protection) , also siding and flooring for those outbuildings. And I'm
 looking to build a set of cabinets for my kitchen. I'm not really a furniture builder but I live on a busy road and I may try to sell some picnic tables and stuff, I can set  them out on display for sale. Maybe offset the cost of this thing a little.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2018, 12:28:56 PM »
The time for bark to slip off SYP varies, I was just saying this so in case you did get ahead of the game in having logs down, you would be ahead in regards to having to fell timber as you sawed, you may like that way better. My point was if it sits at some point the bark will slip, and for me this was a good thing. And yes bugs live permanently in the bark, SYP being one of the worse, once you get logs stacked up, you will soon hear the chomping from them.  From what I've experienced it takes a close to a year for the bugs to get below an inch or two.  Keep in mind I have no experience with manual mills, the time it takes to saw out logs and the such. My set up was with a fork lift and hydraulic mill. sawing out 40 logs a day was common day, some days slower, some much busier.   I figured 1500 bdft sawn by myself a good day, by this time the dust pile was getting large and needing to be moved.  Good straight logs i would get through between 15 and 20 logs before the slab rack needed emptied.  This all takes time, you will surely find the happy pace you like and need.  The blue stain in the SYP I've dealt with comes mostly from timber thats sawn well into spring and through the summer.  Many buyers wont have open markets until mid to late October thru March. (around here)  For ordinary uses, blue stain wont hurt a thing, some folks like it, in fact demand it.. After hearing that you have gum trees to get rid of, these would be on the top of my list for first logs to saw..I would make blocking for all your misc. uses. Normal sizes, like 4x6 and 6x6's for stacking lumber.  I can hardly wait to see how you handle the process, it should be fun! to watch from here!! :)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2018, 01:01:21 PM »
So I have all the experience of sawing one day while also talking and getting a lesson on ways to mill from one persons point of view. He was a great help to me even though I didn't buy his Timbery mill.
That being said we cut 3 logs in about 6 hours. I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking 4-5 logs in a day would be a great day for me. Now summer is coming, and with it the South Carolina heat so that will have its effect on things also.. I'll have a better idea what a good day for me will be by my birthday or so.. so ask me in November how things are going. ;D
I'm in no great hurry to pile up tons of lumber, But instead I'm looking to learn how to do this in a safe and effective manner, and end up with quality lumber that will be of use around my place.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
 Once you get set up you will be knocking them out. And there's a good chance your sawing will be early and late in the day!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2018, 02:46:56 PM »
I can't take heat anymore myself, so I would probably build some type of saw shed first. I am thinking the shade would make a huge difference.

Some good and easy sellers to sell beside the road are rustic benches, and garden sheds, built to look like outhouses.  In some places small play houses or forts, bring some crazy prices too.

I have a feeling you will spend more time with the saw than you would think, it is just something about making something out of a log, that gets to you.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2018, 07:38:11 AM »
I can't take heat anymore myself, so I would probably build some type of saw shed first. I am thinking the shade would make a huge difference.

Some good and easy sellers to sell beside the road are rustic benches, and garden sheds, built to look like outhouses.  In some places small play houses or forts, bring some crazy prices too.

I have a feeling you will spend more time with the saw than you would think, it is just something about making something out of a log, that gets to you.

I have one of those "pop up" 10 x 10 roof thingy's I plan on setting up over the head end till I can get some wood cut to build a structure..

I'm sure I'll be out there quite a bit.

Time will tell if and what I try to build to sell..it will be a while before I do that I'm sure.

Gotta figure this thing out first and how to run it efficiently

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
Starting to set up my saw yard.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »
And so it begins...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »
Indeed it does...

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2018, 03:03:32 PM »
Looks like you are getting set pretty well, before long you will be happily sawing, with an ear to ear grin. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »
Looks like you are getting set pretty well, before long you will be happily sawing, with an ear to ear grin. lol

Yes, I'm getting the lumber together to start working on the bed for the saw to sit on. I've got doubled 2x10's for the cross ties and just picked up 4-4x6's for the "runners. Tomorrow I'll half-lap the 4x6's so I can join them as one piece.. Then I'll get working on placing it on the ground and leveling it all up and pining it to the ground so it stays where I want it.... Untill I decide its in the wrong place and I move it!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »
Having sawn a little was a big help for you in my mind.  You may very well move the set up several times in the course of things.  Expansion seems to be self explanatory.  If there are not many folks around you with mills, and with all the equestrian events and breeders in your very near proximity, you could find yourself a very fine nitch, whether you're looking for it or not.   I'm going to repeat this again, in regards to sawing out lumber, when you buck your logs to length, make an effort to saw them the same length, respectively. 8' 6" ect..... for your lumber needs.  It just makes lumber stacking so much neater and easier, and leaves you better quality.  Also if you have only a few 12' boards, don't put 8' on top of them,, that's dumb,  you will saw and have more 12' to put on at some point.  This goes with every length, keep them separated respectively.  If you don't, you'll soon realize why I said this.. Reduce double handling at every opportunity you can.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2018, 06:33:28 PM »
Having sawn a little was a big help for you in my mind.  You may very well move the set up several times in the course of things.  Expansion seems to be self explanatory.  If there are not many folks around you with mills, and with all the equestrian events and breeders in your very near proximity, you could find yourself a very fine nitch, whether you're looking for it or not.   I'm going to repeat this again, in regards to sawing out lumber, when you buck your logs to length, make an effort to saw them the same length, respectively. 8' 6" ect..... for your lumber needs.  It just makes lumber stacking so much neater and easier, and leaves you better quality.  Also if you have only a few 12' boards, don't put 8' on top of them,, that's dumb,  you will saw and have more 12' to put on at some point.  This goes with every length, keep them separated respectively.  If you don't, you'll soon realize why I said this.. Reduce double handling at every opportunity you can.

Thanks Dave... Can I call you Dave? Or what do you prefer?

Yes that short day of playing on that mill was HUGE in my mind also. Not sure about the expansion thing, I am RETIRED and like it that way, but life has odd turns so you never really know. While looking on craigslist for a used mill it seemed rather apparent to me there are quite a few smaller mills in the area, how close I'm not really sure but lots of adds for wood, and custom cutting.
And thanks for the advice, believe me I'm trying to absorbas much as I can.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
So I have the timbers, and cross ties all machined out and cut to length getting ready for the delivery of my new mill.

I half lapped the long timbers for a good strong joint in the middle.

So here is the bed all cut up and ready to go (still have to cut the rebar in half)

Now I just have to figure out the exact placement for it, set it up, level it, and pin it to the ground.. and I'll be ready for the saw!

Getting excited... or can you tell?  ;D

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »
Yes that looks like you are getting ready!  And it is getting ever so close now!  I will say, I would have been more inclined to orient those timbers the other way,,,putting the height of your base at 5-1/2" up,  which would give you more strength for when you load up heavier logs, but it looks good just the same. If any issues arise in the form of sagging or the likes you can make the necessary adjustments as required.