alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Pros and Cons - is it always this way? I challenge you!  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Pros and Cons - is it always this way? I challenge you!
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
The older I get the more I realize there are pros and cons to everything and I can't think of a single thing that proves this isn't true.  I challenge you guys to find something that is either all pros or all cons.

I thought once an all pro was being young and ignorant because ignorance can be forgiven and youth brings energy and less pain, but the con is "those" types of men who always keep calling you names and never taking you seriously because you are indeed young and ignorant and therefore must not know anything at all!  This causes anger and animosity towards said men and this is the (at least one) con.

See how my little game/challenge works?  I'm hoping you guys can prove me wrong with my logic.  I truly hope there is something in this universe that is universally pro, but a universal con may be worth exploring as well so we know to stay away!  Hmmmmm......sounds like my mother in law...  Just kidding.  I'm trying to keep this one serious as I intend it to be a kind of scientific study among us deplorable types...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
Re: Pros and Cons - is it always this way? I challenge you!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:31:40 AM »
I have pondered on this purely "scientific study" as it is something that makes a person really take a step back. 

I came to this conclusion based solely on my perception.  And that is the key, each person has their own view of the world. 

What one person, or group of people might view as 100% pro/con may be found to have fault for others.  This fault could be based purely on a singular aspect that is environmental, emotional, mechanical, etc.  Regardless of how positive something may be, the probability of a fault being found is almost a guarantee... and vice versa.   

Thus, a universal Pro or Con might be an anomaly.  I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.   ;)

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »
Yep, that's what I think as well - that there isn't a universal pro or con that exists.  But my mental capacity only goes so far when thinking about this...  :o
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 10:51:09 AM »
I got a pro,, if you want to be wet, jump into water, you will be wet!
the con, if you don't want to be cold,and wet, don't do it in winter time,,
Merry Christmas!  yes I recently got wet, not wanting to, and it was cold too! 

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »
See?  You got yer brain chilled and it's all you can think about right now!

Reminds me of on the farm during the Blizzard of '93.  Thought I was gonna freeze to death out there in the middle of it trying to get neighbors to their doors on an open station JD 3020 and loader.  Took many years until my feet and hands weren't cold all the time.  Frostbite can be a real bitch.  I remember getting so cold that I started dozing off and kind of waking up and not being sure if this was real or not.  Scary.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 01:01:04 PM »
Yes, I'm no fan of cold, especially cold and wet!  and not to be morbid, but they (who) ever they are say freezing to death is quite painless,, hope I never find out,  I do know its blowing pretty cold here today, man that wind chill bites!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »
Pro with no con - JESUS! 

Merry Christmas!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 10:48:44 AM »
Hmm.  I hadn't expected that.

I'm not sure if one can argue that the con might be extremist muslims coming along to kill you and you're family because you love Jesus.  Because this would send you all straight to heaven... interesting.  I think you found a complete pro, through and through!  I seriously didn't think this could happen!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »
Well I think the events that have brought a number of folks over to this site may seem to be unfortunate and thus looked at as a con I prefer to look at it as a pro.  We are gradually building up the activity of this site and getting more like minded folks to join and work together to build a great alternative place to discuss sawmills and forestry and similar topics.

I am going to say that this forum is a Pro.  The supposed Con of not having the content quantity is definitely replaced by the Pro of having the content quality and the quality of the forum owner(s) and members is 100% a Pro.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 06:57:27 PM »
VERY well said, furu!  I just came over here to say something similar and you said it better than anything I could have said.

Can anybody think of a con of being booted from the Forestry Forum and ending up here?  For me it's all pro.  It's just so nice here.  Who wants to worry all the time about offending the bullies and their panty waisted ways over there?  Not I. 

Thank you, Jeff, for banning me from your fake and greedy forum.  You definitely did the right thing!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
Yea, its' a through and through, many folks struggle with it, have for years, fact is the battle is raging as we speak, so to speak,  the bottom line is this ,(my view point and belief)  the Gospel of Salvation is spelled out in the book of Genesis,  and  its all there for the taking, and understanding, and all I will add, for the sake of brevity, is this, it's following the spirit of the word, not the letter of the word,   Merry Christmas, and thank you again Jesus!!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »
Following the spirit, not the word.  I like.  :)